Monitor makes noises

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Monitor makes noises

Post by Chaos Angel » Mon May 12, 2003 11:52 pm

My monitor makes whining noises when it's left on too long, and the back feels really warm, or at least warmer than the monitor on my parents computer, and it doesn't whine.

Is my monitor gonna explode in my face?
Fragile and Frail | Summertime

I'm not a vegetarian because I enjoy eating cute animals.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Mon May 12, 2003 11:59 pm

that would suck :\
imagine a virus that tells the video card to like heat up the cathodes to a bazillion degrees and blows up your monitor in your face :o
ok so maybe that isnt possible :\ but I heard there were ones that could cause the monitor to release toxins :o
kah-razy
eh! steve!
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

kthulhu
Org Profile

Post by kthulhu » Tue May 13, 2003 1:04 am

That shit doesn't help, Tab.

I take it this has started happening recently? How old is the monitor?

Odds are the tube is probably going to crap out.
I'm out...

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Tue May 13, 2003 6:29 pm

Thats been happening to me too... :shock: like sometimes when I turn the moniter on it squeals a bit, like a mouse squeak (and no, thats not normal its only doing it recently), sometimes the screen blinks out for half a second, it flickers really disturbingly sometimes too, and sometimes when it flickers i hear a small crackling noise too. But theres no funny smell coming from it....I just dont wanna end up with like, and 8-inch shard of glass in my face or anything, coz that would suck just a little bit.

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Wed May 14, 2003 12:00 pm

It's just the massive capacitors that supply the juice to the CRT getting old. They arent dangerous when left alone, but it could mean you may be in need of a new monitor in the near future. It's the same noise you hear when you charge the flash on a disposable camera. Those capacitors are the same reason you should never take your monitor or TV apart, they store massive amounts of electricity, even after being turned off for up to 4 months. If you accidentally touch them, be prepared to die, or at least suffer massive electrical burns and severe pain.

-Danny Wilson, Reluctant Electrical Technician
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed May 14, 2003 12:30 pm

DON'T LISTEN TO DANNYWILSON!

FIX THE MONITOR WITH A BUTTER KNIFE!

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Wed May 14, 2003 6:28 pm

klinky wrote:DON'T LISTEN TO DANNYWILSON!

FIX THE MONITOR WITH A BUTTER KNIFE!
A butter knife, a steel pendant chain and a cup of salty water. Fun fun fun!!

nailz
Org Profile

Post by nailz » Thu May 15, 2003 12:36 pm

Dannywilson wrote: If you accidentally touch them, be prepared to die, or at least suffer massive electrical burns and severe pain.

Oooh, a capacitor! I'll accidently touch this end... and then accidentally touch this end, and then get a spatula to scrape myself off the wall!
Ploink! Magic Cupcake! <a href="http://www.elvenking.net">Elvenking</a>. I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how awesome I am.

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Re: Monitor makes noises

Post by Mr Pilkington » Thu May 15, 2003 2:08 pm

Chaos Angel wrote:My monitor makes whining noises when it's left on too long, and the back feels really warm, or at least warmer than the monitor on my parents computer, and it doesn't whine.

Is my monitor gonna explode in my face?
What ever you do, don't, DON'T, bludgeon your monitor into submission. They tend not to like that. Plus electrical burns are no fun.

Try toying w/ the Hz setting. Or you could try the butter knife idea, but I find a grapefruit spoon far more effective.

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Thu May 15, 2003 3:56 pm

nailz1000 wrote:
Dannywilson wrote: If you accidentally touch them, be prepared to die, or at least suffer massive electrical burns and severe pain.

Oooh, a capacitor! I'll accidently touch this end... and then accidentally touch this end, and then get a spatula to scrape myself off the wall!
You don't actually need to touch both ends, either will do, because electricity doesn't care how it gets to the ground, and you make an especially good conduit for that purpose. Most people think of AC acting as would a DC battery, where they would have to touch both ends (Think putting a 9V batteries terminals to your tongue), but in fact, all AC is looking to do (in most applications anyaways) is get to the largest dispersion body around, that being the rather large planet beneath your feet.
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

Return to “Hardware Discussion”