Video Card Help

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:37 am

klinky wrote:My 9100 did not come with a DVI - to - CRT converter, so I would have to purchase one if I wanted to hook up another monitor
or you could just buy a DVI LCD like me :). I love my LCD :-P...sorry for the bragging (ducks)....However, if you have the money, honestly, an LCD is very convenient in size and much better quality video (if DVI and good refresh rate).
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

madmallard
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:10 pm

buy a Matrox Parhelia.

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:56 pm

Erm...not everbody has $400 to blow on a video card. I mean, triple-monitor support is good an all, but not everybody can afford a Parhelia.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:47 pm

Parhelia is a waste.

Also LCDs still are having some 'response time' issues :o. So they're not that great for gaming ;o.

You can get a nice 21" CRT for the price of a LCD, but of course the small footprint of a LCD is nice, but I would take the screen-estate over small footprint.

~klinky

madmallard
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:30 pm

just a suggestion. Multimonitor and decent gaming performance. Certainly not a waste. . .

While LCDs are nice, nothing justifies the cost difference to me that still exists. I'm not big on color correction, i have a big enough desk, and i'm not having power supply issues. . .so. . .i'm cool with crts still.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:53 pm

klinky wrote:Also LCDs still are having some 'response time' issues :o. So they're not that great for gaming ;o.

~klinky
Well if you get one < 25 ms you're fine. I know what you're talking about with ghosting, but I run UT2k3 and Quake3 fine and I am an avid 3D FPS.

As for prices, I agree. I had extra $ since I got the chips for free (working at AMD) so I bought the LCD and DVD+/-RW as well. Sorry if I'm bragging..don't mean to. Either way I understand the cost point..I basically went ALL out on this computer...dual and all :)
-Daniel

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:02 am

My main objection to them in gaming isn't the ghosting - I've seen plenty pf LCDs that fix that issue... it's the problems with black and white levels.

It seems that on most LCDs I've seen that the near-black colours all become total black and the near white colours become a brilliant bleach white. It's nasty when trying to play counter-strike as you've got no chance of seeing someone in the dark :)

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:32 am

Well my experience with LCDs was working at Norm Thompson. Though actually, I think these were cheapies. Mainly purchased for their small footprint and their low power consumption.

But anyways, I think some of the LCDs were running out through a analog > DVI converter @ a non-native resolution. Also their response time just sucked anyways. It looked pretty horrible. Though all I had to run was a telnet app. However when trying to scroll a web page,everything would blur, heh. Like high level motion blur was added to it. Ugly =\

oh well ;p

They set it up wrong and got the cheapies. :roll:

~klinky

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:37 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:My main objection to them in gaming isn't the ghosting - I've seen plenty pf LCDs that fix that issue... it's the problems with black and white levels.

It seems that on most LCDs I've seen that the near-black colours all become total black and the near white colours become a brilliant bleach white. It's nasty when trying to play counter-strike as you've got no chance of seeing someone in the dark :)
I play Cstrike just fine with my LCD thank you very much (just ask Hitori) :-P If you weren't so far away (lag), I'd ask you to play with us.
klinky wrote:Well my experience with LCDs was working at Norm Thompson. Though actually, I think these were cheapies. Mainly purchased for their small footprint and their low power consumption.

But anyways, I think some of the LCDs were running out through a analog > DVI converter @ a non-native resolution. Also their response time just sucked anyways. It looked pretty horrible. Though all I had to run was a telnet app. However when trying to scroll a web page,everything would blur, heh. Like high level motion blur was added to it. Ugly =\
Yeah if they don't have native DVI and need a converter, they are lower end. A warning to those who are looking at LCDs and see those cheap ones (under 400 bucks) at Bestbuy, etc....DON'T BUY THOSE. They are ANALOG and NOT digital. They also have a shitty refresh rate (will have ghosting).

I guess I agree with you and Ian to a degree, but I bought a good DVI with refresh rates < 25 ms. With those settings you should be fine and have awesome picture.
-Daniel

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:08 pm

dwchang wrote:I play Cstrike just fine with my LCD thank you very much (just ask Hitori) :-P If you weren't so far away (lag), I'd ask you to play with us.
No harm in trying the server to see if I can get <100 ping. Then I can headshot you on de.survivor whilst you get blinded in the white outside and confused in the dark corridors :)

Return to “Hardware Discussion”