About VCRs

froggy04
Org Profile

About VCRs

Post by froggy04 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:12 pm

I'm looking into buying a new VCR with more video output options as I can currently only capture from VHS using an RF connection. I want to try and get better quality caps (my signal is pretty lame) so I'm thinking about getting a VCR with composite and S-Video output ports. Few questions:

1. Am I looking at a significant change in quality through capturing with a composite or S-Video signal as opposed to my current RF signal or should I not bother with a new VCR?

2. Looking at many VCRs I have noticed that there are little to none with composite or S-Video output (only RF and scart). Am I looking at getting a higher end VCR for this or am I just not looking hard enough?

3. If I use a 16-pin adapter in a scart output socket, can I then capture through composite?

Thanks in advance.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Re: About VCRs

Post by dwchang » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:04 pm

froggy04 wrote:I'm looking into buying a new VCR with more video output options as I can currently only capture from VHS using an RF connection. I want to try and get better quality caps (my signal is pretty lame) so I'm thinking about getting a VCR with composite and S-Video output ports. Few questions:

1. Am I looking at a significant change in quality through capturing with a composite or S-Video signal as opposed to my current RF signal or should I not bother with a new VCR?
-Yes. Quality will be MUCH better. S-VCRs are significantly higher in quality, but by the same token you're going to be paying quite a bit more than the standard 50 bucks for a normal VCR. At the same time, I think you need S-VHS source to fully take advantage of this.
froggy04 wrote:2. Looking at many VCRs I have noticed that there are little to none with composite or S-Video output (only RF and scart). Am I looking at getting a higher end VCR for this or am I just not looking hard enough?
-An S-VCR should have S-video out. That's what the "S" is for right? :)
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

kmv
Org Profile

Re: About VCRs

Post by kmv » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:44 pm

froggy04 wrote:3. If I use a 16-pin adapter in a scart output socket, can I then capture through composite?
Yes, as long as you use a SCART -> RCA adapter.

Please note that SCART plugs are directional, so if you use this method make sure you have a cable with a SCART output plug or a switch-able SCART plug.

froggy04
Org Profile

Post by froggy04 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:45 pm

So, how much am I looking at paying for an S-VCR? And just to clarify, they do play regular VHS too right?

Thanks for the advice guys.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:46 pm

froggy04 wrote:So, how much am I looking at paying for an S-VCR? And just to clarify, they do play regular VHS too right?

Yes they do. As for prices...go to Fatwallet.com and go to "compare prices." That'll get you the best price. I'm too lazy to go check, but you SHOULD be able to get a decent one for under 200. A great one for more :).
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

madmallard
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:36 pm

i would avoid JVCs of the last 3 years and future until they do a better job of signal recognition as well as loading mechanism reliability.

Me and quu have had 2 top of the line cosumer grade $400 s-vhs gold decks, and 2 middle level stereo vhs decks $130.

each one had issues with certain tapes and signals, and all succumbed to breaking loading mechanisms.

Stick with panasonic or mitsubishi

DreamsofaCobra
Org Profile

Post by DreamsofaCobra » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:20 am

froggy04 wrote:So, how much am I looking at paying for an S-VCR? And just to clarify, they do play regular VHS too right?

I dunno if they play regular VHS, but I know you will not get the same quality from a regular VHS. S-VHS records differently than regular VHS. I believe it splits chroma and lumanence (did I spell that right? probably not..) into seperate componants. That is why S-video cables have more pins. If you are going to record footage onto S-VHS before moving it onto the computer, then yeah, S-VHS will look better. Composite will offer improvements over RF for normal VHS though. And it should be widely available.

Now, as for if you WANT to play regular VHS in an S-VHS player...
In pro and semi-pro audio (my original field) we use digital tape machines called ADATs, (an Alesis format that is being replaced by hard disk.) ADATs used S-VHS video tapes, because the transport, or the quality of the tape themselves, was higher than you can get with regular VHS. Using regular VHS mean spoiling the heads with oxide and dirt. (cleaning a rotating head like in a vcr is a pain too!) I would think the same reasoning would apply here. Just my thoughts, hope this helps.

froggy04
Org Profile

Post by froggy04 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:13 am

Thanks for the tips.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”