Motherboards

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:53 pm

I did drift a bit there, but stability was the core of my argument, particularly with regard to intel's superior PCI implementation.

I also believe their USB implementation and stability is better.
I can plug my scanner into the USB2 port on this KT333, and it's recognized quickly and works fine. If I plug my digital camera into the same port, it will hardlock the machine so badly, it needs to be powered off to be rebooted. I have had no problems with this camera on any of my other (all non-VIA) systems. I could go looking all over for a bios or driver update that would let it work, but I'm not inclined to bother, since Photoshop is on the other box anyway.

Combine this experience with strange USB problems on older VIA chipsets and my nForce 1 system as well, and I'm inclined to trust Intel chipsets for best of class usb compatibility.

Let's take a look at the prices of some of the P4 based Celerons vs. P4's: (tere is no such thing as a modern motherboard that supports the P3 based Celeron.)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.a ... 14&order=1

Cel 1.8g retail: $68.00
Cel 2.0g retail: $82.50
Cel 2.2g retail: $99.00
Cel 2.4g retail: $145.00

P4 1.8g/ retail: $130.00 (400fsb)
P4 2.4g/ retail: $163.00 (533fsb)

I'd go for either end of the spectrum.
Either the cheapest Celeron, for low price and heat production, or the P4 2.4 for the price/performance sweetness.
Because the 2.4 P4 is based on the Northwood core, it produces less heat at a given clockspeed that the oplder design, so I have to wonder just how much less heat the Celerons put out.

Either way, an Intel system is the way I'd go for stability.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:53 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:To reiterate:

Remember all the actual operations that this machine will do will be hardware so the processor speed really isnt important at all. Nor is memory speed - it's all about a stable usb2 motherboard cpu combo.

Chilliness is a good prerequisite for stability, hence the intel chipset and a slowish celeron.
Well like I said earlier, the Pentium III core runs at a fairly cool temperature. This is probably b/c the core voltage is significantly less than that of a Pentium IV core. Then again, I don't work there and am just stating what I hear.

As for AMD motherboards, I'm at least glad that we don't manufacture or design these (obviously nvidia, tyan, via, etc. do) :). I won't totally comment on the stability issue on Via MBs since well...I hate to say it, but I don't know. I don't work in systems engineering (which works with Via/Tyan/nVidia, etc.) and can't say anything as "truth." All I know is that I love my Tyan MPX 760 :). However, I have *heard* that the Soyo Dragon (I think that's the name) is a good MB...although that isn't at all related since it's more of a performance board (400 Mhz memory, raid, etc.).

Now if you have issues with your T-bred BX or Bartons...I'm the right person to talk to...although I don't know how much of that I could even tell you :).

I guess I'll look into this some time since I have a friend in systems and see what MB he suggests.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:56 pm

FurryCurry wrote:Let's take a look at the prices of some of the P4 based Celerons vs. P4's: (tere is no such thing as a modern motherboard that supports the P3 based Celeron.)
Good point, although I wasn't referring to the celerons. I think we can all agree that Celerons are POS. I guess my architecture background was blinding me from well..the point of the thread :). I just think the P3 arch. is far superior to the P4 arch. hence the "point." Oops! I bet it'd be hard to find a P3 MB with USB2 :-P.
furrycurry wrote:Either way, an Intel system is the way I'd go for stability.
Bah...so says you :-P....
-Daniel

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:09 pm

dwchang wrote: However, I have *heard* that the Soyo Dragon (I think that's the name) is a good MB...although that isn't at all related since it's more of a performance board (400 Mhz memory, raid, etc.).
Interestingly enough, the mobo here in my main system that chokes on my digicam is a KT333 equipped Soyo Dragon Ultra platinum. :?

Other than that, it's a pretty stable system, barring the odd bit of unrepeatable weirdness, some of which is probably software caused.

I don't dislike AMD based systems at all, and they outnumbered my intel system 3:1 until my Tiger duallie died. (now two of each, counting my laptop)

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:14 pm

FurryCurry wrote:
dwchang wrote: However, I have *heard* that the Soyo Dragon (I think that's the name) is a good MB...although that isn't at all related since it's more of a performance board (400 Mhz memory, raid, etc.).
Interestingly enough, the mobo here in my main system that chokes on my digicam is a KT333 equipped Soyo Dragon Ultra platinum. :?

Other than that, it's a pretty stable system, barring the odd bit of unrepeatable weirdness, some of which is probably software caused.

I don't dislike AMD based systems at all, and they outnumbered my intel system 3:1 until my Tiger duallie died. (now two of each, counting my laptop)
Yeah I've *heard* about the USB problem. I've occassionally had it with my Tyan board, but I don't see that as a major stability thing for myself (although for Quu's specific goal it might be). I wanted a cheap dual solution and this provides it with very little problems.

However, I would like to point out that there is no PERFECT board. AMD (and Intel for that matter) don't design the boards or do the verification. A *much* smaller company does it and in most cases, a non-US company (not to say that their work is worse or whatnot though...PLEASE don't misinterpret). They just don't have the resources to perfect a motherboard. We (intel and AMD) help them along, but we don't design it and all that. I'm very happy to see that no one is blaming us on this thread :).

Your dual tyan died? I'm sorry. I would be very sad if that happened. I love my $2000.00 heater :-P (it heats up the immediate area around 4 - 5 degrees b/c of the excess heat).
-Daniel

Return to “Hardware Discussion”