DVD will not play and cannot be ripped. -_-

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

DVD will not play and cannot be ripped. -_-

Post by Chaos Angel » Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:09 pm

I am trying to rip my Akira DVD for a video, but I am unable to do so. It's worked before, but it won't let me rip it now. I popped it in, opened up Smartripper, and it said that some features were inaccessible unless it was opened by a DVD player, and it wouldn't give me any chapters or VOBs tp rip "Fine", I say unto myself. I try downloading a couple different players' trial versions, but they all just freeze. I then download Windows Media Player 9 and it opens up the DVD, reads what it is and how many chapters, but doesn't seem to want to process any video or audio. It's been sitting here for about five minutes or so spinning the DVD, and it says that it is playing, but it won't open up any video. I can't rip the DVD because these locked features are still locked!

I was thinking of runnng a spyware check, but I do not know if that would help the issue at all. Is there a way I can unlock this DVD and get it ripped? Thanks.
Fragile and Frail | Summertime

I'm not a vegetarian because I enjoy eating cute animals.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Sat Mar 29, 2003 3:58 pm

Do you have any DVD player software, like WinDVD or PowerDVD?

Playing the disc in that, just to the opening screen or something, then pausing, and starting up Smartripper sometimes works.

Alternatively, you could give DVD Decrypter a try if you have no DVD player software.

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Post by Chaos Angel » Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:15 pm

WMP is supposed to play the DVDs, and I've already downloaded two DVD playing programs. None have worked.

I shall give DVD Decryptor a try, thank you.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:06 pm

Some "DVD players", don't actually install a Dshow codec to playback MPEG2 streams. They're just a DirectShow control slapped on a form with custom buttons >_> <_<. Doesn't actually do anything. You may try looking for freedvdcodec.exe. Or :\ PowerDVD, WinDVD as those should definitely work.

I am not sure why you'd have this problem maybe something is up with your DVD drive. Since it doesn't work when playing it and when it's ripping it, so it doesn't seem like a "codec" issues since a codec is not involved when ripping(just pure data copy and decrypting). So, maybe >_> <_<. Get latest firmware. Remove/re-install the your DVD drive from device manager. Or :\ maybe try a different aspi layer.

>_> <_<

~klinky

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Post by Chaos Angel » Sat Mar 29, 2003 8:23 pm

Well, I HAVE been thinking of upgrading my DVD-R drive to a DVD-R/RW drive...

V3n0m
Org Profile

Post by V3n0m » Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:37 am

i think ya need whatsitcalled... an application like PowerDVD or WinDVD i think, thats what i use to open em up first and they work fine, the dvd players in other players like WM9 and real are junk in my opinion
Balance is the Universe
and universe is province
Ever Stare Directly into a SaiyanZ Eye?
http://www.saiyanz-venom.com

Return to “Hardware Discussion”