Nvidia & ATI Question

omega1979
Org Profile

Nvidia & ATI Question

Post by omega1979 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:18 am

Im building a computer for AMV & Multi-Media Creation. The graphics card in using is a Nvidia GeForce4 TI 4200. my question is. i herd that the ATI Tv Wonder DV would be a good capture card. i have herd that sometimes nvidea &ati drivesr fight each othr. Is this tue? any help in this question is greatly apreceated

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:15 am

ATI video card drivers, yes. You can use a Nvidia card with one of their capture cards. You may look into getting something like a ATI All-In-Wonder 8500, which is pretty nice from what I hear.

It's got everthing on a single card ^_^, pretty spiffy.

Though your combo there should still work just fine.

~klinky

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:02 pm

All the Geforce 4 Ti cards have a composite and s-video inputs and outputs, and they work relatively well for low-level vid capture and output.
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:06 pm

I know a number of folks that have Hauppage TV/capture cards, and are quite happy with them, particularly the model 401.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:04 pm

Dannywilson wrote:All the Geforce 4 Ti cards have a composite and s-video inputs and outputs, and they work relatively well for low-level vid capture and output.
I wouldn't even say low-level. My GeForce4 TI 4200 captures 720x480 at 29.97 fps with no frame loss. It's not even a capture card, it's just a normal video card with a video in/video out slot. Yay!
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:19 pm

klinky wrote:ATI video card drivers, yes. You can use a Nvidia card with one of their capture cards. You may look into getting something like a ATI All-In-Wonder 8500, which is pretty nice from what I hear.

It's got everthing on a single card ^_^, pretty spiffy.

Though your combo there should still work just fine.

~klinky

There are quite a few ti's with only S-video out or no video in/out at all.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:23 pm

fudge :\ that was response to you danny >_>

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:33 pm

Ok Klinky. You win. Not all ti's have vid in. But I said the geforce 4 ti family. Not 2. Not 3. All of which have this nifty little plug DESIGNED INTO THE CHIPSET BY NVIDIA! It's not a manufacturer to manufacturer deal anymore. The all come with this now.
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:26 pm

Dannywilson wrote:Ok Klinky. You win. Not all ti's have vid in. But I said the geforce 4 ti family. Not 2. Not 3. All of which have this nifty little plug DESIGNED INTO THE CHIPSET BY NVIDIA! It's not a manufacturer to manufacturer deal anymore. The all come with this now.

No it's not designed into the Geforce4 chipset. The 2D/3D engine is designed by Nvidia. VIVO(video in/video out) or TV-out is from a third party.

Usually VIVO is in the form of a Philips 7108 processor. TV out chips are from Conexant, a Philips 7102 or somebody else. My friend just got a Geforce4 with NO TV in/out.

It's not standard. Companies can leave it out if they feel like cutting costs. If you want VIVO, then you make sure it states VIVO in the specs.

~klinky

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:55 am

Fook dat, be cheap like me and use a DVD ROM with Domestic DVDs ^_^
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

Return to “Hardware Discussion”