Macs vs. PC for video editing, which is better?

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:48 pm

dj-ohki wrote:im just picking nits here, but a few pages back, someone said that OSX was running the BSD kernel... its not. its using the BSD userland runtime, and is using a hacked up MACH kernel (which has been benched slower (not by much mind you, but still slower) then linux 2.4 running on the same hardware)
Yeah, that was me. I figured that nobody would pick up on that error, but I guess I was wrong :P

dj-ohki
Org Profile

Post by dj-ohki » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:05 pm

klinky wrote:Actually i wasn't that bad a "necropost" if even that. Only a week or so. Not like... 6months, like a few have been.
gotta love em when threads from like a year ago are drug up. GRR.. almost as bad as derailing threads.. not that we would do that.. :twisted:
Rotating avatar >_> <_<. I became quite famous for my random misato avatar. :| I should set that back up. I just used a random perl script :| renamed as a .png file. Only problem is I can't serve up PNG files on my home webserver w/o perl trying to execute it. :|. But oh well. It's worth it ;p
yea, its really fun when you get like 5 people who have their avatars linked to the same pool. completely screws with your head. :)

im sure i could get it working here if i REALLY wanted to, but requires more then 30 seconds of effort ^^; (alias, mod_rewrite an internal redirect, loadable apache module, etc etc etc) wish mod_python was more like mod_perl in its regard of ability to handle standalone py files. :roll:
BTW using Win2k w/ OmniHTTPd.
~Klinky
linux with apache2.

current perl code in index.cgi :

Code: Select all

opendir DIR, ".";
@files = grep { /\.(jpg|jpeg|gif|png)/i } readdir(DIR);
closedir DIR;

if(scalar @files == 0){
        print "Content-type: text/plain\n\r\n\r";
        print "need files k thx bai";
} else {
        print "Location: " . $files[int(rand(scalar @files))] . "\n\r\n\r";
}

Lyrs
Org Profile

Re: Macs vs. PC for video editing, which is better?

Post by Lyrs » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:42 pm

CaTaClYsM wrote:Which is better for video editing?
If you are going to "just" edit and make videos then Mac might be a good buy, but you might want to be able to use PC software which can sometimes or is better than their Mac counterpart.

But machine for that purpose alone is limiting. YOu're never goign to be doing amv's all teh time, so consider a PC with an all-in-wonder pro card or similiar since with these babies, you have a bigger number of software choices and you get to play PC games.

/end
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:32 am

I would really, really like to hear from someone who has used both Premiere & Final Cut Pro:

All cost, speed and codec issues aside, is FCP really that much better to work with, if amv's are going to be the primary "product" created?

Why?- Stability? Ease of use? Better effects?

Can FCP take over some of the things one might use After Effects to do on a PC?

It seems an "Ultimate" G4 duallie w/ FCP prices close to $5000 on the Apple store,

VS

Building a super-killer-death dual Xeons @ 2.6gig or higher, supermicro mobo, dual channel DDR, hardware RAID 5 slugger of a PC, with a copy of After Effects to fill the one missing slot in my Adobe shelf of PC software.

I figure I can build a really scary fast PC for the same or probably a good bit less than an "Ultimate" G4, but if there's really something that great about FCP, I want to know what it is.

Larg0
Org Profile

Post by Larg0 » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:15 am

FurryCurry wrote:I would really, really like to hear from someone who has used both Premiere & Final Cut Pro:

All cost, speed and codec issues aside, is FCP really that much better to work with, if amv's are going to be the primary "product" created?

Why?- Stability? Ease of use? Better effects?

Can FCP take over some of the things one might use After Effects to do on a PC?

It seems an "Ultimate" G4 duallie w/ FCP prices close to $5000 on the Apple store,

VS

Building a super-killer-death dual Xeons @ 2.6gig or higher, supermicro mobo, dual channel DDR, hardware RAID 5 slugger of a PC, with a copy of After Effects to fill the one missing slot in my Adobe shelf of PC software.

I figure I can build a really scary fast PC for the same or probably a good bit less than an "Ultimate" G4, but if there's really something that great about FCP, I want to know what it is.
Final Cut Pro 3 uses dual processors to their fullest whereas Adobe video editing products do not. This makes it much faster. Final Cut Pro is a joy to use while at the same time giving the user utter control. It is quite easy to learn if you know anything and has yet to crash on me. The only thing SLIGHTLY difficult in FCP is importing but that is easy once you are told how to do it. Also, on Apple's site make sure you customize your purchase. Sometimes they can throw in stuff you don't need. Also, though it may not be honest, you can always get a student discount at the Apple store. This is on an honor system and they have no proof that you are a student. I am a student. I am not sure if you are or not but your decision to save over $1000 is your own. I know FCP only costs $300 after the discount and I think the computer drops about $500, maybe more/less. Anyway, FCP rocks and I am really enjoying my new Mac I got recently (and my first Mac). I was raised on PCs and the switch was a painless one that I am glad I made.

So long,
Larg0
"Insanity brews in the blood of all mankind; ready to spew forth it's wrath at any moment."

Check out my site: http://www.evil-android.com

"I'm not impatient, I just hate things that take a long time."

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:25 pm

great to hear that, but tell me, if you had the choice between using a PC with all of the stuff that makes PC's good for editing. (AVISynth, Premiere, VDub.) or the mac (premiere and final cut pro) which would you use?
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

Nightowl
Org Profile

Post by Nightowl » Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:42 pm

Would this be considered a necropost?

Mac, because all of the software that's so trendy amongst AMV people these days is mostly for compression. I have no use for AVISynth or VirtualDub unless I'm compressing an internet release, which is what I use my PC for. Granted, I work in a completely different environment from most of the people on here, but still, when you edit uncompressed, there are just certain factors that do not matter. And there are WAY more software packages for the Mac than simply Premiere and Final Cut Pro - besides, Premiere is outdated. And none of the scary fast specs one might find in the typical .org system on a PC really matter if your video card sucks. A video card can make all the difference. Of course, once again, I'm talking about a completely different level of video editing system and this probably doesn't apply to the typical .org user.

Of course, I could go on forever, being one of the few people on here to not only use both systems but to do so professionally, but really I've realized that my comments aren't addressing the original question, as in what you want out of your system. It all depends on the circumstance. If people were a little more open-minded they'd see that both Macs and PCs are necessary for a good studio, but rarely do people offer that solution on the forum. It's always "I have a PC with blah blah blah so fuck you!" I get a little tired of being berated. System wars are so pointless, and specs are absolutely meaningless.

-N

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:26 pm

Nightowl wrote:If people were a little more open-minded they'd see that both Macs and PCs are necessary for a good studio, but rarely do people offer that solution on the forum.
Perhaps, but people would also have to be a little more open-walleted.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:46 pm

True... but I think when he refers to a studio, he's referring again to a Professional one, not the 'studios' we tend to think of on the 'org. For us non-pro's, I thnk whatever we're most comfortable with or will get the most use out of overall is what we should go with. Most of us, I imagine, use our computers for more than just editing and trolling the forums, so more than just which system is best for editing goes into it as well. Besides, we'll always be wanting something better anyways- that's pretty much human nature.

I've always had a PC and am quite comfortable with it, so that's what I use. But, my wife is a Mac person, and given the resources to get one I wouldn't complain at all about having a nice high-end PowerPC to edit on (plus, I could dig out and play that old spare copy of Marathon Infinity a friend gave me a long time ago... :o ).
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

V3n0m
Org Profile

Post by V3n0m » Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:26 pm

NicholasDWolfwood wrote:PC + Linux

:)

I believe people who work on movies do their video editing on Linux.
i couldn't agree more, wish more programs worked with linux though
Balance is the Universe
and universe is province
Ever Stare Directly into a SaiyanZ Eye?
http://www.saiyanz-venom.com

Return to “Hardware Discussion”