Video In/ Video Out

Necopotence
Org Profile

Video In/ Video Out

Post by Necopotence » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:05 pm

I just bought a GeForce Ti4600 with the notion that I could use the Video In/Video Out to hook up a DVD player ( don't have a dvd drive in my computer for lack of wattage and IDE controllers) to rip DVD for making videos. I have read both manuels for the DVD player and GeForce but found nothing on it at all. I have looked at guides and seen nothing also. I have smartripper and have installed the ASPI layer already. Can someon fill me in on what I have donw wrong? Please don't flame me if I have missed it somwhere in the guides.

Necopotence
corkyjsp@charter.net
Blah! BLAH!......blah blah!

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:31 pm

...moron.

YOU DONT RIP FROM A CAPTURE SOURCE

Necopotence
Org Profile

Post by Necopotence » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:34 pm

Now that you feel better for calling someone who knows very little about the subject a moron, thank you for the info. I was underthe impression that I could use the DVD as a drive though the Video in/ Video out.

jonmartensen
Org Profile

Post by jonmartensen » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:53 pm

I was going to post here a while ago, and decided not to. In hindsight, I should have to prevent Nick from making an ass of himself :?

You can't "rip" the DVD. You have to capture the footage. I don't know enough about the subject though (why I wasn't going to in the first place). Wait a while and someone more informed on the subjuct will give you some help :wink:

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:00 am

NicholasDWolfwood wrote:...moron.

YOU DONT RIP FROM A CAPTURE SOURCE
Wolfwood > Get a life numbnuts. Go get your regular arseraping from your dad, dickstrap.

Hey Neco! just install a capture program or a digital vcr, run the S-Video out on the DVD player to the S-Video in on the card, start the program, start the dvd and hit the button for "Record" on the program on your PC (after finding a space to save the .AVI file)

This is called "capturing" Ripping is when you intall a DVD-Rom and "rip" the video/audio stream off it.

Necopotence
Org Profile

Post by Necopotence » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:09 am

Thanks alot, I don't have a S-Cable yet. That is the info I was looking for. Would you have a recommendation for a Caputre program? I have tried VituralDub already and say no driver installed. I just downloaded the WDM driver off Nvidia's webside, hope that fixes it. Thanks alot.

Necopotence
Org Profile

Post by Necopotence » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:10 am

Oww, btw, I know about ripping and stuff, just though I could use it as a drive. I have made numeoues videos before just wasn't sure about how to capture it. Like I said, thanks.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:28 am

You cannot use a TV DVD-player as a DVD drive. You need to get a DVD drive that's made for a computer.

You can use your capture card to record video while you play the dvd. Though you may have problems with macrovision. Also capturing usually takes more space and produces lower quality files.

~klinky

SS5_Majin_Bebi
Location: Why? So you can pretend you care? (Brisbane, Australia)
Org Profile

Post by SS5_Majin_Bebi » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:31 am

yeah, klinky's right. You might be lucky to get a card that produces decent (i use that term loosly) captures, but it isn't going to be DVD quality. You're going from a digital stream to an analogue, so theres video and audio quality loss.

Nightowl
Org Profile

Post by Nightowl » Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:41 pm

The difference in quality in ripping and capturing only applies to prosumer video cards - just wanted to make this clear, as when actually making a DVD the producers do capture. You can't exactly rip from a DVD that doesn't exist yet... if someone had a really nice capture card, the quality can be just as good as a rip (can't exactly get too much better, as that prospect is, well... physically impossible... it can LOOK better, but that's only if you apply some nice post-production.... stop talking, you'll go on forever.). Yeah, I'll shut up. Just wanted to clear that up that ripping is not the be-all end-all.

-N

Return to “Hardware Discussion”