what to look for in a hd

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:46 pm

You don't need a new motherboard, you computer can't possibly be so old that it doesn't support IDE.

timbitdude
Org Profile

Post by timbitdude » Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:49 pm

how would i know if my mother bord suports ata 100 or the kind it dose suport

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:22 pm

Quick rundown of IDE:

ATA = a form of IDE

ATA33 = same thing as ATA

ATA66 = a faster form of IDE

ATA100 = another faster form of IDE

All IDE drives are compatible, you just won't get ATA100 speeds if you're using an ATA33 controller. (For all practical purposes, the performance difference is negligible.)

Unless you're running a computer from pre-1988, your current computer will support any IDE hard drive you buy today. :-)

timbitdude
Org Profile

Post by timbitdude » Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:00 pm

oh
thanks for all ur help

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:35 pm

jbone wrote:(For all practical purposes, the performance difference is negligible.)
Are you talking about using an ATA/100 drive on an ATA/33 controller as opposed to using an ATA/33 drive on an ATA/33 controller, or an ATA/100 drive on an ATA/100 controller? In the latter case, there _is_ a very significant difference in transfer speed.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:59 pm

trythil wrote:
jbone wrote:(For all practical purposes, the performance difference is negligible.)
Are you talking about using an ATA/100 drive on an ATA/33 controller as opposed to using an ATA/33 drive on an ATA/33 controller, or an ATA/100 drive on an ATA/100 controller? In the latter case, there _is_ a very significant difference in transfer speed.
Just sorta maybe...

Actually I don't think you'll notice a REAL LIFE difference if you go ATA100/133 drive on a ATA/66 controller. Butttt there is a difference if you go with ATA100/133 on a ATA33 controller.

I have a ATA133 drive on my server, which has a ATA33 controller on it and performance is lacking.. The drive bursts 9megs.. which is horrid :p

I think the problem really is that the computer likes to allow DMA mode one day, then switch the drives back to PIO mode the next... IT'S VERY FREAKING ANNOYING...

But really alot of drives are going to have sustained transfer rates over 33Megs... :roll: You'll miss out on the 80MB burst speeds my Maxtors give, but those are just "bursts". I get about 22MB when I do a sustained transfer over the drive....

~klinky

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:01 pm

I meant to say

that they AREN'T going to have sustained transfer rates over 33MB.

~klinky

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:10 pm

klinky wrote:trythil>> While your SerialATA maybe all well and good, you're a l33t lloonix user, so don't expect everyone to know what SerialATA is all about...
What? I can't think of anybody who works intensively with computers (yes, this includes digital video editors) that would not know, or not want to know, about Serial ATA. The performance gains for nearly every application are staggering.

And about the cost issue -- Well, save up. :P That's what banks are for.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:01 am

This wasn't someone who worked intensely with computers, it was some random person who just wants to add another, bigger hard drive.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:04 am

jbone wrote:This wasn't someone who worked intensely with computers, it was some random person who just wants to add another, bigger hard drive.
This was also some random person who works with DV.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”