Best New Creator

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:13 am

Ashton wrote:
earthcurrent wrote:I blame Microsoft and Bill Gates :? damn them to hell.....
Good call. I think it's the horrible effect XP has on human brain waves. It's like cell phones, but worse... :shock:
Good. Now that you are agree. Hush.

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:15 am

earthcurrent wrote:
Ashton wrote:
Good call. I think it's the horrible effect XP has on human brain waves. It's like cell phones, but worse... :shock:
What, international secret? Naw... everyone knows it man!
The anime Channel Petition Sign it if you like anime.
My member profile on the org.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:18 am

Ashton wrote:
earthcurrent wrote:
Ashton wrote:
nah, I was just telling you to hush in general.

jonmartensen
Org Profile

Post by jonmartensen » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:20 am

indeed :?

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:20 am

earthcurrent wrote:
Ashton wrote:
earthcurrent wrote:
Ashton wrote:
No one hushes me and lives to talk about it! :shock: I'm just freaking tired... this week has been bad, and this whole thread hasn't helped... and the worst part was: I started it. Time to go sulk and write in my live journal.
The anime Channel Petition Sign it if you like anime.
My member profile on the org.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

WilLoW :--)
Org Profile

Post by WilLoW :--) » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:16 am

Ashton,
honestly, as I was following this topic, I decided not to vote for you...but this was childish :? . Now that the votes deadline has been postponed, I think I'll watch some of your vids.

Which ones do you suggest me ? (for example, the one that you like the most and the one that other people like the most)

PS: Your vids 'd better be very good, because I don't appreciate the way you see AMV competitions... (I don't like people who can't accept to lose)...and even if I try, I'm sure this will influence my vote

WilLoW :--)
Org Profile

Post by WilLoW :--) » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:19 am

And I'd like to add my own experience for the award stuff:
my only vid that has won an award is the one that received the less reviews and that got the less downloads...
An award makes you happy for, say, a month or two. But the reviews and emails really stay in your memory.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:23 am

WilLoW :--) wrote:And I'd like to add my own experience for the award stuff:
my only vid that has won an award is the one that received the less reviews and that got the less downloads...
An award makes you happy for, say, a month or two. But the reviews and emails really stay in your memory.
Well put!

Vlad

Wonka
Org Profile

Post by Wonka » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:10 am

Ashton wrote:
earthcurrent wrote:
Ashton wrote:
earthcurrent wrote:
Ashton wrote:
No one hushes me and lives to talk about it! :shock: I'm just freaking tired... this week has been bad, and this whole thread hasn't helped... and the worst part was: I started it. Time to go sulk and write in my live journal.
Just adding to the "ultra quote of dewm"

BishounenStalker
Org Profile

Post by BishounenStalker » Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:32 am

The point I see a lot of you making (and doing a damn good job of it) is that Ashton really is making AMVs for the wrong reasons. I don't care if you're 17 years old or not. In my experience, age and maturity are in no way interdependent. You're acting like one of the sore loser brats on the P.E. field who would whine and sulk behind the equipment shed because he didn't get first place in Field Day.

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe the reason you make it to the finals in contests but never win the award is because that's all you care about (or seems to be all you care about, the way you carry on)? Good judges aren't stupid. They can see a creator's attitude show through their work like a black bra in a wet T-shirt contest. And frankly, your attitude reeks. The fact that you care only for the award is why your videos, no matter how good the capture, editing, effort, and effects are, will NEVER be of the caliber of those creators who make AMVs because they love it. Your work will always be missing something. And that something is called heart.

Being an AMV creator for awards is like being an artist for money. Except that with AMVs you won't starve. Every art professor I've ever had asks on the first day of class why we want to be artists. I had one prof whom if anyone answered "because I want to sell pieces for $500,000 each", he would tell them to get the hell out of his class because they have no business being an artist.

While I'm certainly not arrogant enough to tell you that, I will say that he has a damn good point. Anyone who makes art (or AMVs) solely for money (or awards), will not reap very much of what he wants. I think Rozard might've said it (correct me if I'm wrong): "AMV creating is an expensive, thankless hobby." So why do we do it? Because we love it. That's what makes us true artists.

If you want to win an award, quit obsessing over it. Get an attitude adjustment and change your attitude toward AMV creation. Really, you don't seem to see the point at ALL that other people are trying to make here. You started this thread begging for votes. How the hell is that NOT supposed to end up like a plea? And what Rozard said that you're confused about (scroll up) is that winning a VCA will get you absolutely nothing but your name, video, and award recorded as text in a PHP script. It won't get you anything else in life, and thus, it's nothing to be obsessing over.

I'd rant more, but I have class to get to.
-- Rachel the Demon, Resident Quoter of Obscure Nostalgia
"Great. He can pick his teeth when he's done with us!" - Marina, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
Current AMV: Somewhere On This Night

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2003”