Best New Creator

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:08 pm

paizuri wrote: Do you really want to be known as "that guy that begs a lot"? Let your work prove itself and if it doesn't, then maybe it's really not all that great. Sure, there are popular creators whose latest videos everyone tries to get, but at some point they were relative unknowns and they were probably just as "unrecognized" as you feel you are right now. Just because you feel a certain way doesn't mean that you're the only person that has ever felt that way. In fact, I'd be willing to say that at least a few creators have felt the way you do. Feeling un(der)appreciated doesn't make you more special than anyone else or deserving of recognition.
I don't care about people coming up and asking for my autograph, man! All I want is to win some awards. It's not like I want to have people groveling at my feet, I just want to know that someone other than a newb/gusher reviewer type likes my videos. It's simply a matter of the fact that I get kicks out of competing. If you knew me in real life, you would see it in everything that I do, and the way I live my life: I am a very competative person. That doesn't make me arrogant, just because I'm getting frustrated at loosing. And just because I don't see this as a lofty art like everyone else doesn't mean that I am imature, it just means that I see it a different way. I'm all for fun and games, but do that during PE. We're talking about the organized league here! And let me tell you, I played soccer in my crappy recreational league the same way I go at AMVs. It's just a matter of perspective.
The anime Channel Petition Sign it if you like anime.
My member profile on the org.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:38 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Judging by all these responses, do you really want to win this award now Ashton?

Even if you do win, will it really mean anything? Most people won't recognize you in the most positive way even if you win.

Imagine winning an award and you have to get up on stage only to have the crowd boo you and throw flaming dirty diapers your way. :?
Yeah, you're right, but then again, I never intended for this. I just wanted to see if I couldn't avoid being last.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:41 pm

Ashyukun wrote:
Machine wrote: I think Ashton needs some AWA9 time. Meeting alot of your piers can really change your opinions about alot of things :D
They have docks in Atlanta? :wink: Sorry Machine, sometimes it's just too hard to resist poking fun at spelling.

Personally, I think if you're only creating AMVs for the awards and the praise, you're doing something wrong. There are roughtly 15,000 videos listed here on the 'org alone, with just shy of 5,000 creators/editors (according to the site info), and while I know it's pretty darn close, not everyone's videos are entered nor is every AMV creator registered here. That's a hell of a lot of people competing for probably around a hundred awards or so given out per year. Even assuming nobody won more than one award (which is generally not the case) and two-thirds of the editors aren't actively competing , that's still only about 6% of creators/editors who will win an award. Those aren't very good odds... I think if you go into making a video expecting it to win an award, you stand a very large chance of a big letdown. It's just my opinion, but I think videos should be made because you simply can't hold the idea back and it demands to become a reality. I think everyone should be happy just to have accomplished making something like an AMV, even if it sucks ass through a swizzle-stick. Other people enjoying it and winning awards should be secondary to your enjoyment of it, and 15-20 years down the road you should be able to dig that ancient VHS tape/CD-Rom/DVD-R off the shelf and smile as you watch your works. I certainly wouldn't want to be watching one of my videos and thinking, "Dammit, I made this to win XXXX and it lost." Of course, I'm also operating on a good bit less sleep than usual, and could be in sappy rabu-rabu mode and may be making about as much sense as the Afro Ken video. :?

As for the voting on this- I'm going to do my best to ignore this whole thread when voting, and judge the competitors by the merits of their skills, not their desire to win. Now if only I could track down a copy of Shameless Rock Video...
You've got some really good numbers there, but really what I was counting on when I came in was the laziness factor. I thought that if someone was lazy and left blatant errors, that video would get paned, and I was expecting that to clear out the ballots for the most part. Only thing is, I'm finding out that no one cares, and that my most popular video took 15 hours to make, while the video that took me over 200 hours to make gets spit on. I was just wrong.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:31 pm

Ashton wrote:I don't care about people coming up and asking for my autograph, man! All I want is to win some awards.
I say we all pitch in and each buy Ashton a big trophy at our local sports memorobilia stores, each with the message: "Here's a hunk of plastic that commemorates success. Now STFU."
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:19 am

Rozard wrote:I say we all pitch in and each buy Ashton a big trophy at our local sports memorobilia stores, each with the message: "Here's a hunk of plastic that commemorates success. Now STFU."
can't I just get him a card....??? :?

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:20 am

Rozard wrote:
Ashton wrote:I don't care about people coming up and asking for my autograph, man! All I want is to win some awards.
I say we all pitch in and each buy Ashton a big trophy at our local sports memorobilia stores, each with the message: "Here's a hunk of plastic that commemorates success. Now STFU."
Alright, now I'm becoming angry. Nobody listened to me from the start, and now it's showing. You all had your own little images about who I am and what I am thinking, but what I had to say, and my request are not what you are all making it out to be. But otherwise, thanks very much for the suggestion.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:31 am

I blame Microsoft and Bill Gates :? damn them to hell.....

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:46 am

Dude, you're doing it to yourself! There's no reason at all to get all hot and bothered over any of this. Everyone else but you seems to understand this. It's just a fucking internet poll. I somehow doubt jbone will get a better job if he puts down on his resume that he won Best New Creator at a fan-based music video web site. Also, I believe you said something about no one knowing who you were (and you not knowing anyone else), and that you had no intention to. How are you going to get people to watch your videos if they don't know who you are? I know for sure I'm not known for my videos, but because I've been posting in the forums for a long time.

I make my videos because I want to, and feel the need to. I also wish for other people to watch them. Does it bother me when people don't review my videos? Yes, I'm not going to lie to you. Do I care about awards? Kind of. Sure, it's awesome to get recognized for something I did. Am I going to plead to win and obsess over not winning? Hell no. What's the point?
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:10 am

Rozard wrote:Dude, you're doing it to yourself! There's no reason at all to get all hot and bothered over any of this. Everyone else but you seems to understand this. It's just a fucking internet poll. I somehow doubt jbone will get a better job if he puts down on his resume that he won Best New Creator at a fan-based music video web site. Also, I believe you said something about no one knowing who you were (and you not knowing anyone else), and that you had no intention to. How are you going to get people to watch your videos if they don't know who you are? I know for sure I'm not known for my videos, but because I've been posting in the forums for a long time.

I make my videos because I want to, and feel the need to. I also wish for other people to watch them. Does it bother me when people don't review my videos? Yes, I'm not going to lie to you. Do I care about awards? Kind of. Sure, it's awesome to get recognized for something I did. Am I going to plead to win and obsess over not winning? Hell no. What's the point?
0_0
ok, now I'm just confused. The first part of that refers to something, and I don't know exactly what your saying, but I think you misunderstood something I said.
As for the second part, I agree with you 100%. I never intended this to be a "plea" of any kind. I just wanted to say that I believed I deserve it, and that I believe my work is worth your time viewing. Really, you and I share the same idea... really.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:11 am

earthcurrent wrote:I blame Microsoft and Bill Gates :? damn them to hell.....
Good call. I think it's the horrible effect XP has on human brain waves. It's like cell phones, but worse... :shock:
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2003”