Macs vs. PC for video editing, which is better?

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:10 pm

CaTaClYsM wrote: Then I asked him what the Mac Video editors can do that the PC ones can't, and he has yet to name one feature.

Like I said, both and neither.

I must leave now because I am just repeating myself...

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:12 pm

I know, that it is apples and oranges, I am just trying to get him to admit that, and in doing so needed to play devils advocate and take the side of the PC.
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:52 pm

PC + Linux

:)

I believe people who work on movies do their video editing on Linux.

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:51 pm

well final cut pro, which costs 100 bucks is for MAC. Is it also on PC? and my second question is, is it better than premiere?
So in other words, one part of the community is waging war on another part of the community because they take their community seriously enough to want to do so. Then they tell the powerless side to get over the loss cause it's just an online community. I'm glad people make so much sense." -- Tab

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:56 pm

*1000 dollars not 100,
Most of these people don't do video editing, and NONE of them actually use both PC's and MAC's to do video editing.
I am still getting alot of stuff from people saying that the MAC is better, here you go look at the thread, you should be able to see which one I am rather quickly.

http://s1.cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genme ... 846&page=5

it started out as something else, but then I spoke up and asked exactly the MAC had that made it better than PC and then it went off from there.

Any and everyone that wants to have fun watching a flame war have fun, anyone that has anything relivent to say in the discusion is also welcome as well.

jonmartensen
Org Profile

Post by jonmartensen » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:42 pm

So basically all they have said is, MAC's are better because proffesionals use them. That's not a very sound argument. Convention is not a logical argument for using software or hardware.

You just need to ask questions to get to the base of why someone finds one system better than the other at a specific task. And make sure they know you are talking about VIDEO editing, not things like 3d image creation (poser, softimage, 3dsm, cinema 4d)

steelkatana - So you consider MAC's better for video editing than PC's?
MACMAN - Yes
steelkatana - What are some of the specific reasons a MAC is better? Is it faster....easier to use....more features?

(I imagine MACMAN would say it is the ease of use. not faster in the rendering portion, though ease of use can increase production speed)

MACMAN - Ease of use
steelkatana - What makes it easy to use? Is it just that it is easier on the eyes due to the GUI or are there functions that allow you to edit clips in a specific manner with less work than on a PC? In other words,
ease of use = fewer steps to complete a task (than a PC would take)
MACMAN - Fewer steps per task
steelkatana - What are some different instances in which it would take fewer steps for a MAC than a PC. Would bringing together say...4 different videos, cutting them up in the program, adding transitions, and then rendering take fewer steps on a MAC than a PC.
MACMAN - yes
steelkatana - Which of those parts takes fewer steps than a PC (trying to get it very specific, like adding the transitions is faster, or managing the cut up clips is less confusing)
MACMAN - (I'm not sure what the reply would be...could be anyone of those, or none and gives a different example)

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:07 pm

MACs are known for editing, however, macs are generically slower and more expensive than pcs, and the only advantage might be like final cut pro (which HAS to be better than premiere, I'd hope, for all the damn rave about it), or 2 or 3 other pieces of software vs the like 40 million on a PC that you can't have on a mac. Macs = more expensive for not a better job = not worth it = lame.

Linux isn't great for editing, or I would have installed it by now, the fact that there are like 2 programs out there for editing and encoding kind of slows it down :\ and the non vfw engine makes the best tools on the PC useless. Sure transcode, mplayer, and cinerrela might be worth their weight in gold, but until support is better I know I'll still be using windoze :\

Conclusion: PC with windows is still the best general editing choice even though mac people think they're cool

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:27 pm

if any of you could point this stuff out on gamefaqs that would be apreciated. Despite all the stuff I have said they still don't seem to get it, maybe it is because of the way I would continually DEMAND rational explanations out of people that really didn't have anythign rational to say, worknofun370 knows what he is talking aobut, the rest are basicaly mooks that want to get a shot in at the guy they want to loose the argument.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:58 pm

RadicalEd0 wrote: Linux isn't great for editing, or I would have installed it by now, the fact that there are like 2 programs out there for editing and encoding kind of slows it down :\ and the non vfw engine makes the best tools on the PC useless. Sure transcode, mplayer, and cinerrela might be worth their weight in gold, but until support is better I know I'll still be using windoze :\
Well, that's when you adopt a new toolset ;)

Seriously, though, Ed's right. Although a lot of big production houses (Weta Digital, Digital Domain, ILM) use GNU/Linux in the rendering pipeline (and, increasingly, on the workstation), it can still take a lot of work to get a decent setup.

My Linux editing setup works because I've put a lot of time into researching, tinkering, programming, and generally screwing around -- not only with the video tools, but with the OS and associated components themselves. Granted, it's getting easier (and getting easier quickly), but it's still a lot more time than most people want to invest or have. You don't have to do that (well, at least not to such an extent) on a Mac or on a Windows box.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:02 am

Damnit, I forgot to tack on this bit:

An example of how it's becoming easier: There are companies that are working on providing total solutions for video work using GNU/Linux systems -- see http://www.lmahd.com/ .

Return to “Hardware Discussion”