Which is the better graphics card? (Best Bargain)

SephirothJenova
Org Profile

Which is the better graphics card? (Best Bargain)

Post by SephirothJenova » Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:56 pm

I'm going to buy my ultimate computer in a couple months, so that I'll be able to do pretty much anything with a computer. I'm trying to figure out which graphics card to get (I've figured out pretty much everything else. Here are the three options from Dell.com (I can't make my own coputer, I had trouble putting my CD-RW drive in this this computer).

1. New 128mb DDR ATI Radeon™ 9700 TX Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI [subtract $180.00 from price of computer]

2. New 128mb DDR ATI Radeon™ 9700 Pro Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI [currently on the computer which I'm going to buy]

3. 64MB DDR NVIDIA­ GeForce4 MX™ Graphics Card with TV-Out [subtract $300.00 from price of computer]

Please tell me which is better, why, and which would be the better bargain. I'm pretty much deciding between 2 and 3. It's a $300 difference, so it makes a big difference in the price. Thanks in advance.

Sephiroth

(New Website (Not completed, because other members haven't provided information yet) = <a href="http://www.rockmanvortex.com/sephiroth" ... phiroth</a>)[/url]

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:37 pm

Geforce4MX would be a bad choice. It's really crap and is alreay quite poor at handling current games, let alone ones that will come out in a few months.

There's little point getting a technology now that is already out of date - don't expect to be able to play doom3 on it.

If you're not a gamer then it's a different story, but if you are then you really don't want to get the gf4mx.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:35 pm

Ultimate? Anything?

Choose #2, the 9700 Pro.

You will hate the GF4mx if you do any mid to high-end gaming.

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:43 pm

Get the Geforce FX. :)

Something like $500, has one big-ass fan, takes up two expansion card slots on the case. :)

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:51 pm

Actually the Geforce FX is rumored to retail @ $400 and they may be able to shrink the fan down so it doesn't take two slots.

Anyways >_<. The computer is not l33t unless you build it yourself >_<

Get the Radeon 9700(Pro is you can) or a GF4 ti4600(preferable).

~klinky

Return to “Hardware Discussion”