Why only straight cuts lately?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
remsleep
Org Profile

Why only straight cuts lately?

Post by remsleep » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:56 pm

I have come back to AMVs after over 10 years absence, and I find that most vids now are... mostly straight cuts? No effects? No original animation? Please tell me that there are still innovative editors out there who use more than just straight cuts... Or, has some minimalsit wave come over AMVs while I was gone?? Please show me some creative animation!!

remsleep.
Nihongo o renshuu suru no tame ni, kaiwa no paatonaa o sagashite imasu kedo...

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Re: Why only straight cuts lately?

Post by Mol » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:32 am

Well yeah minimalistic is still cool. Effects i would say can be even overused (:P). As about orginal animation it\s pretty rare i guess.
Still better than that MMO.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:59 am

I dunno, maybe it just comes down to what you are watching. A lot of the ones I have watched lately are full of camera shake and stuff.
In general though, I think the majority of vids have always been simple, because most people making vids don't get far enough into it to start learning more complex techniques.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:19 pm

remsleep wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:56 pm
I have come back to AMVs after over 10 years absence, and I find that most vids now are... mostly straight cuts? No effects?
Yeah, what have you been watching here?

Katranat
Org Profile

Post by Katranat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:53 pm

If it's creativity and animation you're after, let me point you in the direction of an editor called leolide: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1hRpX ... 3hWLutHbrQ

Their stuff is super popular at the moment (or at least it was before their YouTube channel got taken down and now they've had to re-upload everything recently).

I'd recommend zuzuzu, poorly drawn neko gril and lovely as interesting examples of their editing.

Honestly, from what I've seen this is the style of editing that's "in" at the moment. Though in my opinion leolide is one of the few editors who actually pulls it off.

Milomite
Org Profile

Post by Milomite » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:38 am

I think straight cuts actually work pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_V6Sgy9ybk

I made this one with little straight cuts because the type of song is more suited to have effects and fades.

exkcal
Org Profile

Post by exkcal » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:16 pm

I've always prefered straight cuts!

qyll
Org Profile

Post by qyll » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:54 am

Straight cuts are the base ingredient. You can make a perfectly good video with just straight cuts, although most editors prefer to spice it up a bit with crossfades, masking, etc. Try watching a video with just crossfades. Yech.
zzz

adobo_mv
Org Profile

Post by adobo_mv » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:36 pm

I've also came back after maybe 15yrs, but at first I've notice the opposite, atleast in fb and yt. I thought fancier transitions like zoom, rotating/shaky transition, etc, were the current trend. But I'm a minimalist using mostly simple fades, dissolves, and straight cuts(even though i used to dislike straight cuts). So, I'm kinda glad there's still a lot of people using simpler transitions.

tko03isaneditor
Org Profile

Post by tko03isaneditor » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:41 pm

Straight cuts can be interesting, but forcing yourself to classic "old wave" standards is dumb. I find a lot of AMV's nowadays having no effects tend to be pretty boring since they don't really have any good story or are intresting to look at and it's like i'm listening to music with visuals overlaid.

I just kinda do my own thing and try to do what i think i see is fit. I don't really do too many spinny flicky transitions anymore, but i much prefer whip-pans over a boring shot-reverse shot.
Anirevo Marketing Team 2020

Return to “General AMV”