Are there any AMV's you now love that you initially disliked?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Katranat
Org Profile

Are there any AMV's you now love that you initially disliked?

Post by Katranat » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:49 pm

So, I was browsing through my saved AMV's on YouTube, as you do, and I came across one video and I was like, "man I remember when I first saw this I hated it". This has happened to me a few times now, I'll watch an AMV and strongly dislike it on my first viewing, then a while later I'll come across it again give it another watch for whatever reason, and then completely revise my opinion of it.

I'm curious if this happens to anyone else? If so, I'd be interested to see what kind of videos do this for you, and what it was about it that made you like it in the end?

On another related note. Are there any AMV's that have changed your opinion of a song? This has happened to me less frequently, but occasionally I'll watch an AMV to a song I really don't like, but the AMV is so good that it makes me see the song in a new light. Again, I would be interested to hear if this happened!

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Re: Are there any AMV's you now love that you initially disliked?

Post by CrackTheSky » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:27 pm

Probably the best example I can think of is Two Hearts by aerialesque:

I didn't like, hate it or anything when I first saw it, but the editing style really turned me off and I couldn't get into it at all. The constant zooms did not play well with me and I found them distracting. Then I watched Toradora! and returned to this video and did a complete 180 on it. I would now list it among my all-time favorite AMVs.

I would also say Soul of an Angel by ErMaC:

I remember watching this AMV back when I first started getting into AMVs because it was considered one of those monoliths in AMV history (or maybe I had just built it up that way in my head for some reason, idk). I thought it was ok but generally disliked the overlay-heavy approach and didn't find the editing style to my liking. Almost a decade later I returned to it and, again, found my opinion was totally different. Interestingly, I still am not a fan of AMVs that use overlays as excessively as this one does, but for some reason it just works for me here. Not gonna lie -- it might have a lot to do with nostalgia and fond memories I have of this genre of music, and the fact that this AMV was among my early discoveries when I was first getting into the hobby, but regardless, I really like it nowadays.

I can't think of any AMVs that have changed my opinion on any songs offhand, although I'm sure there are many. I would say more importantly, AMVs had an immeasurable impact on my opinions of entire genres of music, though. I was a bit of a music snob coming into the AMV hobby, but consuming AMVs broadened my musical horizons in a way nothing else ever has, and turned me on to so many artists and styles of music that I may never have discovered any other way. I would say that no single thing has impacted my music taste more than AMVs.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:18 pm

^I hated this band until I saw this video.

I'm not saying I'm a huge Simple Plan fan now or anything but just giving in to the song via a super-sentimental AMV just broke down all these barriers I'd put up back when they were getting really big and I just found it easy to look at them as everything that was wrong with rock and roll.

Pretty much the same deal with this video too.

There have been plenty of AMVs I thought were great upon my first impression but would later change my opinion for the worse. I can't think of any cases where it's happened the other way around, although certain videos that I only kinda liked at first have slowly grown on me to the point where they're some of my favorites ever made. I'm sure there has been a case where I've hated something at first but eventually grew to love it, but it's not coming to the top of my mind right now.

Katranat
Org Profile

Post by Katranat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Thanks for sharing these!

I can see where your initial opinion was coming from with the first video, it doesn't really click with me at all, but then I haven't seen Toradora.

The second video is awesome, but then I tend to enjoy videos with overlays quite a bit so I'm biased. My only criticism is it gets a bit repetitive. I can deffo see though how this could be a letdown if it had been hyped up.
CrackTheSky wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:27 pm

I can't think of any AMVs that have changed my opinion on any songs offhand, although I'm sure there are many. I would say more importantly, AMVs had an immeasurable impact on my opinions of entire genres of music, though. I was a bit of a music snob coming into the AMV hobby, but consuming AMVs broadened my musical horizons in a way nothing else ever has, and turned me on to so many artists and styles of music that I may never have discovered any other way. I would say that no single thing has impacted my music taste more than AMVs.
Now that you mention it, this is something that I hadn't considered but my music tastes have definitely be influenced by AMV's. I've discovered most of my favourite music artists over the years thanks to watching AMV's. I possibly would have come across them in other ways but definitely would not have developed the same fondness that AMV's inspire.

Katranat
Org Profile

Post by Katranat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:42 pm

Thank you for sharing. It really is fascinating how a visual medium can brake down barriers like that. I think it also has to be the right visual as well, for example, I really didn't like Crystals by Of Monsters And Men when I watched the official music video, but then I saw an AMV by NekoKitKat using it and loved it. Possibly because the visuals can help with a different interpretation of the song?
seasons wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:18 pm

There have been plenty of AMVs I thought were great upon my first impression but would later change my opinion for the worse.
That's really interesting! I'm honestly not sure that's ever happened to me. Usually every time I watch a video I like I find more and more things to like about it. I'm kind of curious now, can you think of any examples of those?
Actually thinking about it, I can think of one example where I've kinda had this happen - Nostromo's Magic Pad. I remember finding the video super awesome and magical when it first came out, but then I think the slew of everyone trying to make videos in the same style with the same sources kinda ruined it. Plus a couple of other Nostromo videos came out and seemed to be a very similar thing, so it definitely lost its shine. It's a meh video for me now, but that's not really the fault of the video itself.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:19 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:27 pm
Probably the best example I can think of is Two Hearts by aerialesque:

I didn't like, hate it or anything when I first saw it, but the editing style really turned me off and I couldn't get into it at all. The constant zooms did not play well with me and I found them distracting. Then I watched Toradora! and returned to this video and did a complete 180 on it. I would now list it among my all-time favorite AMVs.
That must've been the best 180 of your life xD

Re-watching it now, I'd say there are a couple of parts where the fades get to be a bit too much. But this one is still a favorite.

I'm not a big fan of MEPs or Action AMVs, but Vortex:Recycled is one of those I just hated with a passion at first then, when I focused on Trampler's parts and Neko's part (And a couple of others), I learned to enjoy it... If only for the certain bits, I suppose

Katranat
Org Profile

Post by Katranat » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:40 pm

lloyd9988 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:19 pm

I'm not a big fan of MEPs or Action AMVs, but Vortex:Recycled is one of those I just hated with a passion at first then, when I focused on Trampler's parts and Neko's part (And a couple of others), I learned to enjoy it... If only for the certain bits, I suppose
I feel you on this. MEPs definitely take a while to grow on me and I kinda compartmentalise the parts I do like.

Return to “General AMV”