Holy God I recovered my 17-year-old profile!

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Holy God I recovered my 17-year-old profile!

Post by the Black Monarch » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:34 pm

My profile that I created 17 years ago, and that I hadn't touched in 10 years because I forgot the login info for it... I've finally recovered it!

This might sound strange, but... I miss the "old days". Before a certain video-hosting site (now owned by Google) was created, before the Golden Donut, before Bittorrent... back when file-sharing networks were the primary means by which we discovered and downloaded music videos.

I partially miss those days because so few videos had been lost and forgotten (see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=130030). If you deleted or lost a video, you'd just go back on whatever file-sharing network you got it from and download it again. I used to have quite a massive library of Evangelion music videos, but I've suffered a long, intense, and statistically near-impossible string of hard drive deaths and MIAs over the past 12 years, and as a result, almost all of my old library is gone. I'm trying to rebuild it, but the fact is that if a video wasn't uploaded to the Golden Donut, it's gone now... and the majority of videos were never uploaded to the Donut. They can no longer be acquired from ye olde file-sharing networks like Morpheus and Kazaa because those networks don't exist anymore. Bittorrent killed them. Some of them used to be downloadable via a direct or indirect link from this site, but about 99% of those links are dead now. Those independently hosted websites have all died or been sent angry letters from copyright-holders saying that they can't host videos anymore. A lucky few may have been uploaded to the Yootoobs, but only a few. The Eva music video set to Adam's Song by Blink-182 is gone. The video set to "The Last Unicorn" by In Mood featuring Juliette is gone. The Donut hosts four Eva music videos using Kryptonite by Three Doors Down, but none of them are the one that I remember from the old days.

I partially miss those days because there were fewer videos in existence, and as a result, it was easier to "collect" all the ones that you were interested in. It was easier to have a "complete" library. Unless you were interested in Linkinball Z videos. You were never going to collect all of those. But I was more into Evangelion, and back in 2005 or 2006, it seemed like there were only a hundred Eva music videos in existence and I had all of them.

I partially miss those days because last good version of Windows was also the dominant one and it worked with everything, and 4 GB of RAM was more than enough for anything that you'd want to do. Now, several important games and gaming services - Steam, Minecraft, World of Warcraft, and Defiance, among others - refuse to work on anything older than Win7. All of the major browsers have dropped XP support, and now my XP partition has to use an obscure browser called "Mypal" in order to keep up with websites that blindly and idiotically insist on using the newest toys and standards as soon as possible without regard for browser compatibility. Shopping for XP-compatible hardware is becoming more of a challenge as LGA 1155 motherboards and the 700-series Geforce cards get harder to find. Only LAST WEEK did I finally learn the last piece of information that I needed to get Win7 into a tolerable, usable state, and now Microsoft is pulling the plug on Win7 in less than a year.

I miss the days of referring to the Angelpotion codec as "Satanpotion" because it would do horrible things to your computer if you installed it, but it was also the only way to watch certain videos.

I do NOT miss RealOne player. Fuck that.

I partially miss those days for reasons that have nothing to do with music videos, like the fact that I had money and my own place to live back then, and I still talked to my college friends, all of whom have moved away.

Now get off my lawn! :sorcerer: And you'd better not cut my Medicare.
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: Holy God I recovered my 17-year-old profile!

Post by Kionon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:14 pm

the Black Monarch wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Now get off my lawn! :sorcerer: And you'd better not cut my Medicare.
My org profile is now old enough to vote. Welcome back!

You should make a list of what you are looking for. I have a large collection of late 90s, early 2000s videos. Others like Nate do too.

I encoded some stuff in Real Player and it was how I watched Fushigi Yuugi streamed raw from Japan. One of the first streamed anime. Before region locking.

I also don't miss overnight render times. No thank you.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:47 am

Kionon wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:14 pm
You should make a list of what you are looking for. I have a large collection of late 90s, early 2000s videos. Others like Nate do too.
Unfortunately, I did not memorize the contents of my old library. I don't know what I'm missing. The whole reason I'm here is that I got a song stuck in my head, and couldn't remember where I had heard it, but thought that it might have been from a movie trailer, so I was able to find it on Youtube. It turned out to be "Do You Realize" from the Transformers: The Last Knight trailer. Then I realized that it sounded kind of similar to a song that was used in a music video that I had lost long ago... so I did a Qwant search for "do you realize lyrics" and the original artist was the Flaming Lips and everything clicked and I came here to re-download the video. But to make a long story short, if a cover of that song hadn't been used in the trailer, I would have 100% forgotten that video existed. Who knows how many others I've forgotten?

My biggest losses, though, were the live-action ones that I saw on Youtube and remember well, but got taken down for copyright or other reasons before I figured out how to download videos from Youtube. The BSG / Green Day / Boulevard video was especially good. I'd kill my own mother to get that one back.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:59 pm

Your profile says you edited four AMVs during your time here. Do you still have them?

If not, did you ever share them with anyone?

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:41 am

seasons wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:59 pm
Your profile says you edited four AMVs during your time here. Do you still have them?

If not, did you ever share them with anyone?
I've actually made quite a bit more than that - seven finished serious projects and a whole crap ton of unfinished or nonserious projects. Most of my videos used to be available on Youtube but the best ones were taken down for copyright violations. I took the rest down because I didn't want to be represented by my worst work. I later re-uploaded most of them to Vimeo, but then my account there got shut down because I was using it to pirate Jake 2.0 episodes.

I don't necessarily have all of the original master copies, but I do have all of my old videos in some form or another.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:25 pm

the Black Monarch wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:41 am
I don't necessarily have all of the original master copies, but I do have all of my old videos in some form or another.
It's easier than ever to upload your AMVs directly to the Org. Not sure if it was possible back when you made them or not, but it used to be kind of a complicated process. Now it's really simple, you can just directly upload them to the site, no FTP client required.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:04 pm

the Black Monarch wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:34 pm
They can no longer be acquired from ye olde file-sharing networks like Morpheus and Kazaa because those networks don't exist anymore. Bittorrent killed them.
The file-sharing utility I'm on now, I originally discovered back around 2005 (after WinMX, Morpheus, Kazaa, et al. would no longer work on my college network)... and it's still easy to find almost anything you want on it, plus it's always had the goal of spreading content from lesser-known and independent sources. People are still getting old-ass AMVs from me over it.

I obviously can't identify it here due to forum rules, but I'm just saying that such networks definitely are surviving and thriving even today.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:12 pm

Jumping on with an old profile isn't THAT impressive.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:41 pm

jbone wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:12 pm
Jumping on with an old profile isn't THAT impressive.
Y HALO THAR.

Very impressive. What would be even more impressive is sticking around. :amv:
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

animefan1
Org Profile

Post by animefan1 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:01 pm

Well as someone who has like a 15 year old account himself, I say welcome back. And yeah, I remember things like Kazaa, I first used that back in 2002. That’s how I got the first of my AMV‘s, and some pretty old ones at that. Like the Cowboy Bebop “one more time” AMV. Plus there was a few Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha AMV’s as well. I don’t know if that helps but I just figured I’d put it out there.
Shenanicon AMV Showcase Staff (2024- )(https://shenanicon.com)

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man HOW to fish and you feed him for life."
-Lao Tzu via Mr. White (Tenkai Knights)

Return to “General AMV”