Do you want anything from the 4TB AMV HDD?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Re: Do you want anything from the 4TB AMV HDD?

Post by SQ » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:59 am

I can make a longer reply this evening, but the tldr of it is I'm poor and need space and this seemed like the easy fix. More than willing to snailmail the drive to someone but itd be nice to get a similar (empty) hdd in return lol.

Ultimately I agree with everyone and that's part of the reason why I originally got the drive.
But my situation (especially financially) is not what it used to be.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:07 am

I had thought of selling the drive some years ago when I was much worse off than currently, but thought it would be insincere to do so.

I can live without the extra space. Well send it even without a trade. I just didn't appreciate this archive as much as I thought I would and the few times I brought up "what should I do with this" formatting was suggested.
StandardQuip

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:06 pm

How does $150 USD in exchange sound? That should cover BOTH a brand new 4TB drive (Or what ever ELSE you wanna buy with that, that's your discretion really) and shipping with tracking to me in Canada.

I'd probably start with just making a copy of this and running a torrent of it as an initial stop gap solution and me and some Oldtaku tech friends will look at better options later. But a torrent should be fairly frictionless.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Payment by PayPal of course, in a transaction, you can ship it as cheaply as you can, but it must include tracking.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:23 pm

That's very generous of you.
I can get you the info you need in about 6hrs
StandardQuip

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:36 pm

If you need contact outside of this forum, you can email me at ashleyashes1983@gmail.com This will also be the Paypal address I'll be paying you with.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:41 pm

Alright, I'm finally home and can answer all the questions from a keyboard.
Do you know which videos are on the HDD but aren't available on Local? I was under the impression that the Local database hasn't really changed, but I could be wrong.
To clarify my previous answer:
Local videos that were removed due to the cease and desist regarding two musical artists are on the hardrive.
I don't have any videos to test the other categories I mentioned, but my gut says they are also on the harddrive.
Also, what playlists are on there?
A quick once-over looks like .wpl files for everything that played at Anime Detour 2009 - 2015, including VCAs.

Then there are additional m3u files for various genres and one for "all videos". I think these were Phade's playlists but I can't be sure. (With the exception of the "all videos" playlist, which is literally all videos on the harddrive).
Seriously, why are you even erasing that drive?
It's been sitting around for years without seeing any use. I originally didn't want to format it, but after some events (one of which being a harddrive failure earlier this year), and asking if anyone wanted anything both on the .org (albeit a few years ago) and on a fairly active AMV-related discord server, nobody seemed interested in its contents. So, given that kind of feedback every year, I figured it wasn't worth all that much. Since nobody wanted anything (one person requested the database recently, so I did give it to them) I finally figured I should use the drive for something other than collecting dust.

But you shouldn't judge me too harshly, here (I'm curious as to what the context to the first line of that screencap from discord is about...). I did make this thread after all, because I know people are interested in this stuff. It was my last ditch effort to possibly be guilt-free before formatting this thing.
I also like the history of AMVs - Hell I donated several AMV DVDs and CDs to the AMV Documentary project earlier this year - but when almost everyone I turned to seemed to imply content on the harddrive was unwanted, well, I kinda took their word for it.
I'm with Izumi on this, but I believe SQ's current Internet situation would prevent him from realistically uploading the entire drive anywhere.
This is correct. My internet connection is 100kb/s down on a good day.
But something tells me this is unlikely, especially given that the reason SQ even has this HDD at all is because he bought it during Phade's fundraiser for new servers several years ago at a hefty pricetag of like $1,000.
Yep, I paid 1k for it. (Well, I donated 1k to the .org, and got this gift in return.)

I'll PM you, Izumi.
StandardQuip

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:06 pm

I'd argue that right now, the data is of little value to people. The Org is still up and the minority of this fandom who care about that can access it at will. The value comes later, when The Org inevitably dies, and archivalists and those who highlight fandom gone byares scrambling to see who has copies of what. I'd rather they realize I've had a torrent of 4TB seeding for half a decade, plus offline cold storage, plus Amazon Glacier, plus anyone ELSE who got copies off me.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:26 am

The harddrive has been shipped to Izumi.
StandardQuip

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:31 pm

SQ, you overpacked this box and really upped it's shipping cost. $62 USD to ship it here? :P However it did arrive super fast so that's great.

We wanna make sure you get your new HDD so you should see an additional $25 USD in the form of two $12.50 gifts from myself and another friend involved in helping me archive this drive.

Return to “General AMV”