OK! - Adventure - Comments and Feedback

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
tko03isaneditor
Org Profile

OK! - Adventure - Comments and Feedback

Post by tko03isaneditor » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:30 am

Hello there!

Thanks for checking out the post first and foremost, i really do appreciate it!

The amv:

My most recent AMV at the time of writing OK! is done, it took nearly all summer. But not because it took a boatload of work (not saying it wasn't) but i had a ton of struggles with the AMV. I had no clue where to start or end making this a bit of a jumbled mess. Don't get me wrong i'm really proud i finished it but i really don't think its one of my best. I fell back into an "Instagram editing" style with tons of Color correction and effects. Now that it's done i think i could have used a bit less. What are your thoughts though? Is it too bright, too odd, or just right? I feel feedback and criticism is key for any aspiring artist. So negative or positive leave it down there!

Thank you for reading,

-tko03
Last edited by tko03isaneditor on Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anirevo Marketing Team 2020

seasons
Org Profile

Re: OK! - Adventure - Comments and Feedback

Post by seasons » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:05 pm

Welcome to the Org! The rules of announcing videos in the "AMV Announcement forum" require you to catalog your video first. So please do that as soon as possible :D . If you don't know how, here is the FAQ post about it http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 2#p1546652

Until then, I'm going to move your thread to the “Awaiting Catalog Entry” forum. And I can move it back once I see that you've done it.

It only takes a couple of minutes to fix, once you create a catalog entry and fill in the information for it, we can move this thread back to the announcements forum!

tko03isaneditor
Org Profile

Post by tko03isaneditor » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:04 pm

Hey i created a catalog entry and hopefully i got it right? Thanks for the help!

vkamv
Org Profile

Post by vkamv » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:03 am

Visual/Audio: Visually I thought it was decent. The quality wasn’t the best and I’m not sure if it’s because the effects made it look more pixelated or your source material was of a lower quality.

The effects themselves were good. I liked how you had a very wide array of different type of effects but a common glitch theme throughout. I did feel they were pretty rough though, even by Instagram style standards. The different effects didn’t seem to blend well together to make a cohesive whole. The particles in particularly need to be either blurred more or shaded. They seemed flat and out of place at parts.

Also, your overlays at the start were laid on top too roughly. Some sort of blur to help them blend in would have helped.

The effect you used at 1:45 felt kind of cheap. I think the gradient made it worse. Perhaps use just a black next time or maybe a transparent overlay with a color hue. I liked what you did at 0:34 - 0:36 a lot more.

I did like some of the scenes you chose to use Twixtor on, even if there was a lot of artifacts and tearing. Perhaps don't use it on so many scenes but spread them out more and use when truly necessary.

The song was a good choice and fit the overall style and mood you were going for.

Synchronization: Your sync was fairly strong and solid throughout the video. There were a few moments where a felt that the wasn’t on the beat consistently, like at 1:29 to 1:36, but for the most part I thought you did an excellent job matching the various effects and scenes to the beats and pace of the music.

Theme/Story: I liked how you kept the focus on Mirai and Akihito relationship, and used Mirai as your primary point of view. You did a good job not only highlighting the action elements of the show but also the strong emotions.

These are just my thoughts. I actually did enjoy watching this and could tell you put a lot of work into it. Overall, a nice job! Hope you continue making and posting AMVs.

tko03isaneditor
Org Profile

Post by tko03isaneditor » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:49 am

vkamv wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:03 am
Visual/Audio: Visually I thought it was decent. The quality wasn’t the best and I’m not sure if it’s because the effects made it look more pixelated or your source material was of a lower quality.

The effects themselves were good. I liked how you had a very wide array of different type of effects but a common glitch theme throughout. I did feel they were pretty rough though, even by Instagram style standards. The different effects didn’t seem to blend well together to make a cohesive whole. The particles in particularly need to be either blurred more or shaded. They seemed flat and out of place at parts.

Also, your overlays at the start were laid on top too roughly. Some sort of blur to help them blend in would have helped.

The effect you used at 1:45 felt kind of cheap. I think the gradient made it worse. Perhaps use just a black next time or maybe a transparent overlay with a color hue. I liked what you did at 0:34 - 0:36 a lot more.

I did like some of the scenes you chose to use Twixtor on, even if there was a lot of artifacts and tearing. Perhaps don't use it on so many scenes but spread them out more and use when truly necessary.

The song was a good choice and fit the overall style and mood you were going for.

Synchronization: Your sync was fairly strong and solid throughout the video. There were a few moments where a felt that the wasn’t on the beat consistently, like at 1:29 to 1:36, but for the most part I thought you did an excellent job matching the various effects and scenes to the beats and pace of the music.

Theme/Story: I liked how you kept the focus on Mirai and Akihito relationship, and used Mirai as your primary point of view. You did a good job not only highlighting the action elements of the show but also the strong emotions.

These are just my thoughts. I actually did enjoy watching this and could tell you put a lot of work into it. Overall, a nice job! Hope you continue making and posting AMVs.

Thank you for the Criticism!! I'll keep everything in mind for next time (and yes i will keep making AMV'S)

Thanks again!

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:35 pm

This is possibly the first video I've seen that uses this particular style of editing where I didn't want to immediately gouge my eyes out. Usually I can't stand (can't stand) this style of editing, but for some reason it just worked better here. Maybe because you actually attempted some sort of story/narrative that was easy to follow, and you didn't use the music I typically see with these kinds of videos, and you made something over 30 seconds long. I don't know. But it was actually pretty good and I will be keeping it around to watch again. I do think you overdid a lot of the effects, and many of them seemed slapped on for no good reason. But the editing was tight and if you're able to rein in some of those tendencies on future videos I think you'll be golden.

tko03isaneditor
Org Profile

Post by tko03isaneditor » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:50 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:35 pm
This is possibly the first video I've seen that uses this particular style of editing where I didn't want to immediately gouge my eyes out. Usually I can't stand (can't stand) this style of editing, but for some reason it just worked better here. Maybe because you actually attempted some sort of story/narrative that was easy to follow, and you didn't use the music I typically see with these kinds of videos, and you made something over 30 seconds long. I don't know. But it was actually pretty good and I will be keeping it around to watch again. I do think you overdid a lot of the effects, and many of them seemed slapped on for no good reason. But the editing was tight and if you're able to rein in some of those tendencies on future videos I think you'll be golden.
Thanks for the Criticism! Really appreciate it as always and i'll make sure to avoid so much fx and focus more on the story and quality! Thanks again! :wink:

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:18 pm

I watched this a week ago and didn't have much of a reaction to it. I think I took a quick look at it and saw a lot of effects and just kind of walked away from it, but that wasn't really fair.

On the surface it looks like an effects dump video but like CtS kind of already said, it's not really as random as those kind of edits often can be. You obviously put some thought into the structure of this and that's even reflected in how you use some of the effects (which might be more obvious to viewers who've seen this anime, I imagine). The pacing is pretty good and you sync your cuts to the music more thoughtfully than most editors who edit in this style (broadly speaking!) do. A little over 2 minutes is probably an ideal length for this kind of video. 20-40 seconds isn't long enough to make me feel anything or go into an AMV believing that an editor really invested anything of themselves in it. That's just my feelings, take them or leave them.

It's a huge step up from this, I guess is what I'm saying, which I love.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”