Gunslinger Girl - Tactical Dominance

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
vkamv
Org Profile

Gunslinger Girl - Tactical Dominance

Post by vkamv » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:13 am

I've been working on this AMV off and on for the past year. This song has been used by other AMVs as well, but when I heard it, I just finished watching Gunslinger Girl anime and thought that it would fit it, and therefore, this AMV was created.

Making it was an interesting experience. Perhaps in a year or two as my editing skills grow I'll re-do it since it's not quite how I envisioned it.

It's a short video. Sometimes an AMV needs to be short. Any longer and it would become redundant in my opinion.

Hope you find it entertaining.

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Re: Gunslinger Girl - Tactical Dominance

Post by Mol » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:00 am

Hmm pretty mixed feelings about it, for me. Beginning is fine but the skips feels a bit too harsh. I guess song calls for fast cuts but i it was me i would have gone into some overlays (just no flasherino for the drums) or something to try to balnce the stuff out. I guess it might be beacue you flop between various characters too much , but it kinda fills the shoes of action i guess :P.
Still better than that MMO.

vkamv
Org Profile

Post by vkamv » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Mol wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:00 am
Mol wrote:Hmm pretty mixed feelings about it, for me. Beginning is fine but the skips feels a bit too harsh. I guess song calls for fast cuts but i it was me i would have gone into some overlays (just no flasherino for the drums) or something to try to balnce the stuff out. I guess it might be beacue you flop between various characters too much , but it kinda fills the shoes of action i guess :P.
Thanks for taking the time to view and the constructive feedback. Due to the length and style of the song I always felt this should be viewed more akin to a trailer or teaser than a full fledged AMV. Therefore, when making it, I didn't pay too much attention to the fact that it was random because in a sense it was supposed to be. My focus wasn't the scenes themselves but how well they synced with the beat and the type of impact I thought they gave. I did try to introduce the characters earlier on to give it a sort of sense of plot or narrative.

I'll keep your comments in mind when I decide to redo this work. :)

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:09 am

Yeah, i thought you did stuff intentionally, BTW forgot to mention: try zooms xd
Still better than that MMO.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:20 pm

I think the style and the pace of the editing fit the music very well.

Hard to find anything here to complain about, this doesn't really do anything unique with the material but it's pretty focused and there's not a single shot here that feels out of place or not in service of your main idea.

vkamv
Org Profile

Post by vkamv » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:21 pm

seasons wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:20 pm
I think the style and the pace of the editing fit the music very well.

Hard to find anything here to complain about, this doesn't really do anything unique with the material but it's pretty focused and there's not a single shot here that feels out of place or not in service of your main idea.
Thanks for taking the time to view and for the thoughtful comments.
seasons wrote:this doesn't really do anything unique with the material
I guess it wasn't really unique per say, but I did want it to be misleading to a viewer who hasn't seen the show.

I tried to make the show appear a lot more action packed than it really is.

I don't know if you watched the show or not, but the show itself (especially the first season) is more focused on the characters and their psychology rather than action.

Thanks again for the comment. Greatly appreciate the feedback.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:59 am

Amusing, technically proficient. Low review though because it fits neither "party mode" (where I just throw AMVs on the projector at random) nor gets me going emotionally (either tugging on the heart strings or being fun and cheerful). Good AMV, enjoyed it through the first watch, but I can't see me going back to it.

I've seen the show. More than once. Which is rarer and rarer the older I get, the less anime I watch, unless I'm being paid to report on it.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

vkamv
Org Profile

Post by vkamv » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:35 pm

Kionon wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:59 am
Kionon wrote:Amusing, technically proficient. Low review though because it fits neither "party mode" (where I just throw AMVs on the projector at random) nor gets me going emotionally (either tugging on the heart strings or being fun and cheerful). Good AMV, enjoyed it through the first watch, but I can't see me going back to it.

I've seen the show. More than once. Which is rarer and rarer the older I get, the less anime I watch, unless I'm being paid to report on it.
Thanks for taking the time to view and comment. Greatly appreciate it. I'm happy that if nothing else you found it amusing. It's an odd song. I don't know who would actually listen to a song like this for enjoyment over and over, so I'm not shocked the re-watch-ability of this AMV would be low. :D

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”