Zeromancer "Send Me An Angel" Castle In the Sky

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Mallan627
Org Profile

Zeromancer "Send Me An Angel" Castle In the Sky

Post by Mallan627 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Okay, FIRST post here so I hope I'm doing this right! :)

Hello everyone, this is not my first music vid, but it IS my first AMV, so I hope you enjoy it!

Anyway, feedback is welcome!

vkamv
Org Profile

Re: Zeromancer "Send Me An Angel" Castle In the Sky

Post by vkamv » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:11 pm

Audio/Visual: Visually it appears that you stayed faithful to the original source and didn’t adjust the colors. Your use of effects was very minimal as well (if there was any?).

I think this could have benefited with some color grading and perhaps cross fades with blur to enhance the mood and feel. Also, there was a lot of lip flapping which many viewers don’t like. It didn’t bother me too much, but it bothers others.

I believe the song fit the theme you were going for. Interesting beat and good lyrics.

A few things bothered me. At 0:16-0:17 it cuts to a different angle for a few frames. Because it’s only a few frames it makes it look like a glitch. It happens to my vids sometimes too. Next time you should watch for those things because they can distract the viewer. Same thing happened at 0:35, 1:53, and 2:02.

Synchronization: Your primary method of sync seemed to be lyrical, and I believe you did a good job syncing scenes to the lyrics without making it seemed forced or corny. I particularly liked 1:13 through 1:25 very sweet and adorable scene selection to go with the “send me an angel” lyrics.

I feel some of the scenes lingered on for too long, like at 1:58 – 1:59. When they hug, it kind of froze on a single frame. Perhaps you could have added a slight zoom in here to make it more dynamic. Not an extreme zoom. Something like 100 to 105 scale.

Also, at the start of the song there was some moments when the audio stopped for a second, like at 0:05. I feel like some sort of effect could have been used here to emphasize that. Because it felt weird that the song stopped but the action kept going.

Story/Theme: I have not seen this anime, but I wasn’t too lost watching this AMV. You did a good job setting up the characters, their backstory, conflict, and resolutions. And the lyrics of the song provided me with enough to understand what you were trying to convey.

A very sweat and charming AMV. Hope you keep making and posting AMVs.

Mallan627
Org Profile

Post by Mallan627 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:05 pm

Hey, thanks for the feedback! A lot of it was REALLY good! I appreciate it!

Sadly, I'm a bit limited in some of the tricks I can pull, as I only have Premiere Elements, LOL.

>I have not seen this anime

Say whaaaaat? You're on a ANIME board and there's Studio Ghibli films you haven't seen? Oh, man...

;)

Anyway, thanks again for the viewing and feedback!

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:28 pm

I like Laputa, and I like Ghibli films in general, and while I don't have any really strong opinions on this AMV, but I found it an enjoyable watch.

I remember when this song was popular, and I don't remember it sounding so... metal. Is this a cover?
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:26 pm

I was immediately struck with the feeling that this movie couldn't or shouldn't be paired with music that sounds like this, which is ridiculous of course. The longer I watched it, the less I felt compelled to stick by this first impression. Castle in the Sky set to an industrial pop song or whatever you want to call this was really unexpected. Most Ghibli AMVs dabble within a relatively narrow set of musical choices so on principle alone I support trying something like this.

For a first AMV this was really good, and I really love the approach that you took to this.

A couple clips didn't seem to serve any purpose or just left me feeling baffled (specifically, the shot where she's holding up the pants at 2:42 and the scene in the kitchen at 3:33), and there were some orphaned frames at 2:02 and 3:27. Used sparingly, I think some subtle zooming in or zooming out might have added a sense of movement or depth to some of the more static clips where there's not much happening. But just as often, that kind of effect is overused and I was kind of pleased not to see you leaning on it really heavily in your first video. There will be time to experiment with that or maybe some basic transitions in the future.

I enjoyed watching this quite a bit.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:02 pm

Kionon wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:28 pm
Kionon wrote:I remember when this song was popular, and I don't remember it sounding so... metal. Is this a cover?
Yes. The original is by Real Life.

Also, what's with this whole two-layers-of-quote thing that's been happening ever since the forum upgrade? (Browser: Opera, if that makes a difference.)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:11 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:02 pm
Kionon wrote:I remember when this song was popular, and I don't remember it sounding so... metal. Is this a cover?
Yes. The original is by Real Life.

Also, what's with this whole two-layers-of-quote thing that's been happening ever since the forum upgrade? (Browser: Opera, if that makes a difference.)
We're aware of the issue. It's cross-browser. Something to do with the new phpbb upgrade.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”