Looking for a light-weight, high storage laptop for school and Sony Vegas p13.

Sayoria [Inactive]
Org Profile

Looking for a light-weight, high storage laptop for school and Sony Vegas p13.

Post by Sayoria [Inactive] » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:13 pm

I need a new lappy. I always tend to buy junk ones and I need that to change. Any recommendations? I have about 1000 I can throw away at best.

What benefits come with the laptop you recommend?

I've had a Sony Vaio (Loved this to death), An Asus (I forget the model, but I hated it) and now an HP envy, which is a plastic POS.

Sucks Sony doesn't do laptops anymore. Anyone?

Elcalavero
Org Profile

Re: Looking for a light-weight, high storage laptop for school and Sony Vegas p13.

Post by Elcalavero » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:25 am

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't recommend a 13 inch laptop. You need a 15 inch or 17 inch display for editing.

If you want the most lightweight possible laptop. Grab a LG Gram 15

Biggest Flaws:
Costs more than your budget. (Although you can probably find a Used one for below your budget)
Uses M.2 SSD as storage. If you wanted more storage than whats included, you would pay an insane price.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want the "Best Overall" laptop. Grab a Dell XPS 15 9950 or its newer version Dell XPS 15 9960

Biggest Flaws:
Costs more than your budget. (Although you can probably find a Used one for below your budget)
Uses M.2 SSD as storage. If you wanted more storage than whats included, you would pay an insane price.

I actually searched for my "perfect laptop" a few months ago. It had to be 17 inch laptop. No excuses. Surprisingly, 17 inch laptops are a dying breed. I wanted it to be aluminum (got tired of the cheap laptop plastic heat). Only company offering what I wanted was HP. I don't trust HP, I hate their products with a passion. But I had no choice... That said I'm extremely happy with my decision of getting one. HP ENVY 17 Advertisement. There are literally no reviews of this laptop, on YouTube, so theres an ad.

The laptop I have and recommend is a HP Envy 17. Not sure why the price is so high, you can get one of these laptops for $600-800 range on ebay used. I have the 6th Gen Intel Processor 6500u instead of the one here, which is the new 7th gen 7500u.

There also seems to be a updated? version of the HP Envy 17. This one might require research on your end.

If you do decide to buy this, make sure to get the ALUMINUM VERSIONS. Not this fake plastic POS

*Note: There is also a 15 inch version called HP Envy 15 (4.4 Lbs)

What I required and received from this laptop:
17 inch display (Had to be 1080p atleast AND have an IPS Panel)
Made of Aluminum
Glass or Excellent Trackpad
Good Quality Keyboard

Not needed but I received with this laptop.
Extremely High Quality Audio Speakers/Sound (Bang and Olufsen)
"Backlit" Keyboard
Touchscreen (Although there is a non-Touchscreen version)
Lightweight Power Charger

Biggest Flaws:
Laptop itself is Not Lightweight by any means (6.6 Lbs)
Battery Life is about 3 hours (That's with Battery Saver Mode On!) <Probably Have the 3 Cell battery instead of the 4 Cell.

womentake
Org Profile

Re: Looking for a light-weight, high storage laptop for school and Sony Vegas p13.

Post by womentake » Wed May 02, 2018 4:41 pm

I strongly suggest you to check Dell. As friend mentioned above. Waranty and services are highly satisfactory. Check DELL Xps 15 series and find the best one suits for your budget.
There are only three things women need in life: food, water, and compliments. Womentake.

The_McLaughlin
Org Profile

Post by The_McLaughlin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:03 pm

I also have had good past experience with the Dell XPS series. They can get a bit pricey however they are great laptops. I still have an old one that I got for school. I think mine was also a 15 inch one. The only con I have to mine and mine is about 8 years old now is that about 2 or 3 years ago it started to have an over heating problem that made it not ideal for editing as it would get too hot and shut down in the middle of encodes (using a Sony Vegas) and the casing around the hinge is beginning to crack. Granted for the casing issue back then the casing was just plastic, with it being an older model I'm unsure if they are still using the same material so this may not be an issue any longer with the newer models. The pc however still runs fine despite its flaws for basic use. So I can't use it for video editing or gaming any longer but for the duration of my time at school it was a great pc, and now I've moved on to building my own PC's and I'm not using Vegas any longer so it wasn't a big issue for me but it may be for you depending on how long you plan on using the laptop for.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:43 pm

I suggest the Xaoimi Mi Notebook Pro:

I would then spend your remaining money on a second SSD, as big as you can get, for your footage with your remaining cash.

Please note, the OS will come in Chinese, I don't use Windows, so I would just be wiping it, but you can either upgrade or reinstall in order to enable English. I've done it on Japanese computers, and there are plenty of tutorials online.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

ElizaGaha89
Org Profile

Post by ElizaGaha89 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:16 am

I would also advise paying attention to the Grab a LG Gram 15. Its weight is only 2.44 lbs (1107g)

miraleesa89
Org Profile

Post by miraleesa89 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:59 am

I have HP Notebook 15-da1036tx - 3.9 lbs (very lightweight for me) and has a very good specs. Check it out on HP site.
"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."

IsabellaButts
Org Profile

Post by IsabellaButts » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:44 am

I am in college and use Google Pixelbook. This is a great laptop for education. I do a lot of paperwork such as essays and others and this laptop has never been buggy or lagged. I use the Microsoft Office suite.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”