AkaiCon AMV Contest 18’: The Sixth String - WINNERS POSTED -

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
KiddTheManiac
Org Profile

Re: AkaiCon AMV Contest 18’: The Sixth String - WINNERS POSTED -

Post by KiddTheManiac » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:47 am

Since this was our first IRL meeting, I wanted to clear some stuff up.

AMV League is a massive passion project for us, but it's not the only thing we do, convention-wise. This weekend, we ran ten events, which isn't unusual for us. (Most conventions we work with have us perform between eight and fifteen panels). The AMV Contest was during our first major "break" in programming, and we spent most of that time trying to figure out where we were going to grab some food.

We didn't swing by MTAC's table after Friday, mainly because I didn't really think there would be that much to talk about. MTAC has a very well-established contest, so it's doubtful we'd ever get to run an event there, and in addition, it's a convention that (as far as I know), doesn't hire entertainment/panel guests, so we likely wouldn't be able to attend any time soon. I've heard MTAC is a fantastic show, but the chances of me actually getting to go are fairly slim right now.

As for "trying to save the contest", we'd originally expressed interest in running the contest when we were first brought on to work with Akai. We were told that they already had someone running the contest this year, but seeing as how the co-ordinator may not want to run it again next year, well...yeah.

ShadowCat_13
Org Profile

Post by ShadowCat_13 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:18 am

The thing is with Akai, and to be honest, if this does get back to any of the staff, which the programming director now knows my feelings, so be it.

I have done the contest since year 1. I can still say throughout this time there has been 80 people in goal hroughout 6 years that have attended the contest. Yes, I count because every year, all I want to do is cry because I am disappointed that no one shows interest. I put 30+ hours into this, to make it fun. All I get is disappointment.

So, if y’all want to take over by all means, do so. Just know you will also be disappointed. The contest is rarely promoted on the website, or even on the social media. It’s pretty much the back burner. Last year, they never announced the winners. I announced them on here and asked about 6 times to put it on the social media accounts. They never did and made all the excuses on why.

AMVs are not popular at Akai. There are “better” events. I had three panels of viewings this past weekend because they stripped the viewing room in the middle of the con because “there isn’t a lot of interest in it and people can download anime on the internet”. Akai for 5 years, back burned the viewing room too. They put it in areas that wasn’t visible or let alone promoted. Some years it wasn’t even on the schedule.

So again, feel free to try to revive it.
🫧🌙 🫧The Moonlight Carries the Message of Love.🫧🌙🫧

MTAC AMV Contest Coordinator
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention (MTAC)
www.mtac.net

Pathos Prime
Org Profile

Post by Pathos Prime » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:34 am

Hoo boy if I had a nickel for every event that forgot to promote us ^^ One event this past season even forgot to put AMV League on the schedule and had to stick us at 9 AM on Sunday before anything else started XD

And as for the lack of crowd interest, well... that's one of seeeeveral reasons why the AMV League system doesn't rely on fan voting.

We've got some big plans for Akai next year. If everything falls into place, AMV League is gonna be doing something new there that we haven't ever done before. :)

ShadowCat_13
Org Profile

Post by ShadowCat_13 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:28 pm

Pathos Prime wrote:Hoo boy if I had a nickel for every event that forgot to promote us ^^ One event this past season even forgot to put AMV League on the schedule and had to stick us at 9 AM on Sunday before anything else started XD

And as for the lack of crowd interest, well... that's one of seeeeveral reasons why the AMV League system doesn't rely on fan voting.

We've got some big plans for Akai next year. If everything falls into place, AMV League is gonna be doing something new there that we haven't ever done before. :)
I do wish you the very best with that and I do hope it will be successful, but I have brought this to the programming directors attention.

:)
🫧🌙 🫧The Moonlight Carries the Message of Love.🫧🌙🫧

MTAC AMV Contest Coordinator
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention (MTAC)
www.mtac.net

Return to “AMV Contests”