PopCult Anime Con - WINNERS!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
KeiichiFace
Org Profile

PopCult Anime Con - WINNERS!

Post by KeiichiFace » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:06 pm

Hey anime people!

PopCult Anime Con is a growing con at the Sheraton in Framingham, MA. It's currently on its third year, and is looking to add an AMV competition to its growing list of panels and events!

Being a "smaller" con, we're trying to emphasize local and "smaller" editors. Because of this, we're enforcing an anti-trolling rule, disqualifying any entries that have won more than one major category award (this means "Best [Category]", "Best in Show", "First Place"; awards like "Coordinator's/Judge's Choice", "Honorary Mention", and "Runner-Up" are all still acceptable!). Prizes TBA!

Longer list of rules under the cut.
Spoiler :
General Rules
1. The deadline is July 29th, 2018, at 11:59pm EST. No deadline extensions will be given.

2. Minimum specifications:
a. All video submissions must be at least 720p. Anything lower resolution will not be accepted. Your footage quality may affect your overall chances of getting into the contest. Make sure you check for artifacting, stray frames, etc.
b. Please try to keep your video file size smaller than 350mb. Zarx264gui is a free and straightforward program used to compress large file sizes; please search for tutorials should you need any (Google is your friend!).
c. Your entry should be at least 75% animation or video game footage that originated in Japan. If your multi-anime video features a few seconds of Korra, that’s fine. If your video is entirely Avatar the Last Airbender, that’s not fine (but I’m sure it’s a great vid).
d. Videos must be in a format that can be read by VLC Media Player.

3. Every participant is allowed one (1) entry. If you are attending the convention, you are allowed one additional entry, for a total of two (2) entries. Being listed on a multi-editor project (MEP) video submitted counts as one of your video entries.

4. PLEASE!! Title your entries as follows: “Studio Name – Video Title – Song – Artist.mp4”
a. Studio name: Your name as you would like it to appear on the ballot.
b. Video title: Your video title as you would like it to appear on the ballot.
c. Song: The name of the song.
d. Artist: The name of who sings the song/where you got the audio from.

5. Acceptable framerates are 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, and 30. If your video does not meet these specifications, it may/will be converted to the nearest acceptable framerate.

6. Please check over your submission form before sending it in. Do not send in a submission form without a video link!

7. All submissions must be made over a cloud-based file sharing service that is accessible to the public (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.). YouTube will not work!

8. No studio bumpers or credits before or after your video. Your video may be disqualified for containing these.

9. The following are grounds for immediate disqualification:
a. Subtitles (including “fansubs”) of any nature (if the subtitles are added by the editor for the video, it will be considered on a case-by-case basis);
b. Audio from a commercial English-language dub;
c. Studio logos, TV watermarks, video encoder watermarks—pretty much any logo or watermark that you did not put for parody purposes;
d. Sexually explicit lyrics, excessive curse words (keep it PG-13), or otherwise explicit lyrics;
***Nudity, sexual content, or excessive gore/violence will be considered on a case-by-case basis, but it will usually get you disqualified.

10. If there are issues with your AMV file (a playback issue or a content issue) and you submit before July 27th, you will be notified and given the chance to re-upload by the 29th deadline.

11. Freshness Rule: AMVs must have been created on or after July 1st, 2017.

12. Anti-Trolling Policy: AMVs that have won more than one first-place category award (for example, “Best Drama,” “Best Action”, etc.), a “Best in Show” award, or a general “First Place” award, will be disqualified.
a. This does not include any judge’s choice, coordinator’s choice, runner-up, or honorary mention awards. Send those to us!

13. The categories this year are:
a. Drama: Includes dramatic videos, romance, sentimental, emotional—these videos should tell a story or convey a specific emotion.
b. Action: Includes videos that get your blood pumping, using anything from sports, to battle scenes, to whatever you can make exciting.
c. Upbeat: Includes comedy, dance, rhythm, fun—these videos tend to be positive and make the audience smile.
d. Additional categories may be created by the judge panel if entries warrant it.
If you do not know what category your video falls under, please select “Unsure” on the submission form and the category will be selected for you.

14. Finalists will be determined by a panel of judges of both AMV creators and non-creators. It is a blind selection; please do not put anything in your AMV that includes your studio, name, etc.

15. PopCult Anime Convention staff are not permitted to be considered in the contest.

16. By submitting to the PopCult Anime Convention AMV contest, you agree to your video being used at future PopCult Anime Conventions.

17. The AMV Contest Coordinator reserves the right to reject a video on any basis without warning.
I hope you'll consider entering--we'd love to have a really strong contest for the attendees this year! I'm very excited. :B It's also my first time running a contest like this, so I want it to go well! Haha.
That being said, members of Tsunderbird Studios may not enter, as it would be a conflict of interest.

Enter here: https://tinyurl.com/ybfmzxkt
Last edited by KeiichiFace on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: PopCult Anime Con - DEADLINE JULY 29

Post by Kireblue » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:15 pm

KeiichiFace wrote: 4. PLEASE!! Title your entries as follows: “Studio Name – Video Title – Song – Artist.mp4”
I don't really like it when conventions have specific naming formats for submissions since I'd have to have a separate upload specifically for that contest. Honestly, I typically ignore those rules completely, but I'd do it just for you :asd:

And good luck running your first contest! |:>

KeiichiFace
Org Profile

Post by KeiichiFace » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:38 pm

Kireblue wrote:I don't really like it when conventions have specific naming formats for submissions since I'd have to have a separate upload specifically for that contest. Honestly, I typically ignore those rules completely, but I'd do it just for you :asd:

And good luck running your first contest! |:>
I will definitely keep that in mind! I usually just change it in the Google Drive name every con, so I didn't consider having to constantly take down and re-upload. And thank you!! :shark:

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:52 pm

I often ignore that rule for the exact same reason. Haven't been DQ'd for it yet...

KeiichiFace
Org Profile

Re: PopCult Anime Con - FIVE DAYS TO DEADLINE (7/29)!

Post by KeiichiFace » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:59 pm

Hey guys! Get your submissions in, only five days to go!!

KeiichiFace
Org Profile

Re: PopCult Anime Con - FINAL FEW DAYS! WE NEED ACTION VIDS!

Post by KeiichiFace » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:36 pm

We need action vids!!

Stray Vision
Org Profile

Post by Stray Vision » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:12 am

KeiichiFace wrote:We need action vids!!
I can send you one if you want but keep in mind I already sent you a drama vid.

shorisquared
AMV History Archiver
Org Profile

Post by shorisquared » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:12 am

Stray Vision wrote:
KeiichiFace wrote:We need action vids!!
I can send you one if you want but keep in mind I already sent you a drama vid.
Unless you're attending the con in person, please keep it to one entry per person. However, if you want to switch out your drama video for an action instead, I think that's possible.
ImageImage

ProjectTwinsAMV
Org Profile

Re: PopCult Anime Con - JUDGING IN PROGRESS

Post by ProjectTwinsAMV » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:13 am

Since this weekend is your con date, any word on finalist?
2015 - 2023 AMV Saboten Con AMV Manager
2019 - 2020 Kikori Con AMV Manager

KeiichiFace
Org Profile

Re: PopCult Anime Con - JUDGING IN PROGRESS

Post by KeiichiFace » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:15 am

Hey guys! Sorry about the wait, had to get everything approved by the con chair. :) Thank you all for your entries!!

FINALISTS: (in no particular order)

Action:
1. Combat Harness - EnQuatre
2. Zero to Onion - PikaPwn
3. I AM RELEVANT - AllyKatAVR
4. Cowboy: Bebop Fallout - Rider4z
5. Might of Horus - Sean.PNG
6. Turn Up the Crazy Diamond - DNubsPro

Drama:
7. Destiny - Dapsepako
8. Arsonist's Lullaby - Cneq
9. 300 Million - VHenrik
10. 3h33 - Sagiki
11. Kyuketsuki - Letal
12. I am...Who? - MrAuditore96

Upbeat:
13. Technicolor Dreamer - Kireblue
14. Literary Love - PaNTSU oF d00m
15. One Trick Pony 3 - Mycathatesyou69
16. Lucida - DrPenguin
17. Bonnyworld - UnluckyArtist
18. Youth in Motion - Xophilarus

And as a reminder:
- Winners will be decided by audience vote!
- Both finalists and non-finalists are eligible for the Coordinator's Choice Award, so please check back after this weekend for winners!

Return to “AMV Contests”