AMV titles

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Re: AMV titles

Post by DJ_Izumi » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:04 pm

Tigrin wrote:You'd be surprised, actually. The title is more for people who see the video at conventions. If you can come up with a fairly memorable title, people will search for it. I get a lot of search hits for "A Sporting Chance" by its title, for instance. But you're right, the vast, VAST majority of views I get on YouTube actually come from YouTube recommending the video on peoples' home pages, or at the end of another video. In that case it really doesn't matter what you name the video, so name it whatever you like. :)
SWORD ART ONLINE ASUNA'S BOOBS ULTIMATE WAIFU DUB FREE ANIME STREAM: Ramna 1/2 - Take On Me - Ah- Anime Music Videoa
Boom!

The_McLaughlin
Org Profile

Post by The_McLaughlin » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:32 pm

I know that I name my videos. Though when I post them on YouTube I'll Add all the other information such as the song and anime in the title along with what I called my Video. As it seems even when I place tags on the video with the same information, YouTube won't pull it when the information is searched unless it finds it in the title as well. I don't know if maybe that has something to do with the recent trend.
Though when I first started out and all I ever did was post to YouTube and not send to conventions or anything like that while some of my videos still had titles on occasion most of them I just called "(anime) amv - (Song) by (artist)" and that was back in like 2006. So it could just be the norm on the platform.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:11 am

seasons wrote:In the earliest days of AMVs, did editors give their AMVs titles? I don't believe that the 1982 Beatles/Star Blazers video had an official title like anything we're used to. More than a decade later and Kevin Caldwell wasn't giving his AMVs titles other than than the name of the song he was using, except for once.
Hit or miss. Even 20 years later, many titles were just the name of the song, the combination of the sources, or a very basic play on the combination of sources.

In fact if you look at my 2001 videos (lol, look at those low, low, low vidid numbers) you see:

Only Arima to Miyazawa is an actual independent title. It's the Japanese と (and) and not the English directional particle (as in From Arima TO Miyazawa).

I'd say there was an evolution from just source combination, like my own Utena (Story of a Girl) (which is how I still think of it, or sometimes just Story of a Girl, that IS a title) to overtly relevant titles like "Heero's a Mess" or "Sakura's The Girl I've Been Telling You About" to things which were truly independent titles. If you look at my own profile you can see this change as my titles get less and less overtly related to the song title, more related to the lyrics or aspects of the source, to completely unique titles.

When I look at my own archive, I see most videos up until the early 2000s were still following this pattern, and many classic videos from the 90s and early 2000s still no had more title than source combination or song title. Such as Julian Fong’s (Ingress) Robot Girl from 2000 which I remastered in 720p. Tom the Fish's "Top of the Rain" from 2002 is another early example where the title is lifted directly from the song lyrics, which is something I do quite often.

Indeed it has only been very recently I've been using titles, mostly for projects that haven't even been finished, which have really independent titles. Like the Orange Video I am working on, which is called "A New Hometown." It makes sense once you see the sources.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:17 pm

In terms of giving AMV titles, it really depends on the project.

For some of my videos (i.e. Splat, Pete's Dragon Maid), the ideas of what I was going to name the video was obvious from the beginning. Other times, finding the title was going to be tricky. For instance, when it came to my latest video, The Road to Pompeii, I didn't really had an idea of a title until very late in the editing process. Heck, that was the second idea that came to mind (with it being a reference to both the song being used and another post-apocalyptic tale about the travels of two people, The Road). The original title that I had thought up: If You Close Your (Potato) Eyes, which references both a recurring lyric in Pompeii and how some people compare the faces of the main girls of Girls' Last Tour to potatoes. However, I eventually rejected that title as it sounded too silly for a video that was more dramatic from my usual fare.

FoxJones
The foxiest!
Org Profile

Post by FoxJones » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:50 am

I try to come up with titles when I need to, but sometimes I actually don't see it that necessary. Then I just use the song title as the video title and when this happens it's usually because...
1) Song name already explains the concept and/or theme of the video so well that no new title is needed.
2) I felt that I really am just making a music video for that particular song.. so it should be titled with the name.

Return to “General AMV”