Kigacon 2018 Contest on 3/17/2018...WINNERS POSTED

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Davis 51
Org Profile

Kigacon 2018 Contest on 3/17/2018...WINNERS POSTED

Post by Davis 51 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Update 3/19/2018 Winners Posted. See two posts down.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Entries are officially closed. Y'all really came through at the last second. |:>

Working on sorting and counting them now. The final count is.....81 :awesome:

See two posts down for a Finalist Surprise Announcement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The cut off date for this year is March 4, 2018 at Midnight.

Here are the rules:

1. The categories will be
Trailers,
Action,
Drama,
Upbeat/Dance,
Romance/Sentimental,
Comedy/Parody
In the event of there being less than 4 trailers, the trailers submitted will be moved into the category most closely related to subject matter. Categories that do not receive at least 4 entries may be merged with their nearest counterpart; for details on how this may work, SEE THE BRACKETS BELOW. That is, if there are not enough entrants within each category, we will combine them into the category next closest in the parenthesis bracket. If you submitted to more than one category, and categories you submitted to end up merged, both your entries will still be counted, provided they both become finalists.

(((Action, Upbeat/Dance) (Trailers, Comedy/Parody)), (Drama, Romance/Sentimental)) See announcement two posts down!

Tech Specs:

2. Please ensure your video is in one of the following resolutions.
1920x1080,
1440x1080
1280x720,
960x720
848x480.
720x480 (MPEG 1 & 2 Exclusive, See rule 4)
640x480

3. We accept the following frame rates: 23.976, 24, 29.97, 30 and 60. If your submission is not in one of those, it will be rejected outright.

4. Please only submit in 720x480 if you plan to encode in MPEG or MPEG-2. Entrants submitting in this format and at this resolution are encouraged to submit in 4:3 Flagged MPEG-2, at either 29.97 fps, or 23.976 with 3:2 pulldown selected (see Scintilla’s guide for the best way to do this. If widescreen footage is used, follow the guide on how to letterbox it). If you are encoding in MPEG-2, please encode your audio as MPEG-1 Layer 2 or AC3. MP3s, WAVs, and others will not work and we will be forced to convert them.

5. We accept the most file formats and methods of compression, however, we will not accept .mov or .wmv files. If you are using Windows Movie Maker, please output to AVI. If we are unable to convert to .MPG, we will attempt to contact you.

6.There is a file-size limit of 2 Gigabytes.

7. No studio bumpers or official logos. If we can’t remove it, and you can’t get us a clean version, the video is disqualified.

8. No audio from the official English dubs.

General Rules:

8. No nudity, or excessive gore/violence. Keep it PG-13.

9. Run time may be anywhere between 1 minute and 6 minutes. This will be strictly enforced.

10. Each entrant is permitted a single entry per category.

11. Acceptable footage includes Anime and Japanese Video Game footage. ‘American’ anime such as Afro Samurai, Animatrix, etc. is accepted, so long as it is at least partially animated by a Japanese Animation Studio.

12. Audio must be primarily music and may not include excessive dialogue/narration. The exception is videos that qualify as “trailers.”

13. Entries will be sent through an upload site such as DropBox, or through the AnimeMusicVideos.org catalog. With the exception of AnimeMusicVideos.org, one should not have to register or pay anything to be able to download a video. If we find it’s behind a
registration wall/paywall, we will ask for another link. If you do not provide one, you will be disqualified.

14. Entrants who knowingly attempt to circumvent these rules will have ALL of their submissions disqualified.

15. Videos will be accepted regardless of past victories in other contests, as long as they have been made between March 6th 2017 and the deadline (March 4, 2017). NO ANTI-TROLLING RULE!

16. We reserve the right to reject any video for any reason whatsoever.

How to Enter:

Send your submissions to kigacon@gmail.com with the subject line “AMV CONTEST ENTRY 2018.” If you do not submit it with that subject line, there is no guarantee we will enter it. Videos should contain either the studio name or the name you want to appear on the ballot, followed by a dash and a video title, like this: “Studio name – Video"
In your email, include a link to download your video, and a TEXT FILE (that means .txt)
containing the following:
Name (Please use your real name)
Video Title
Source Anime
Song Used
Song Artist
Category desired (we reserve the right to change this)
Email (again, this is in case we have to contact you. We will not give away your email for any
reason).
Address.
Are you attending the con? (Y/N).
We will email you when we have received and tested your entry to play on our system. The later you send your entry, the later we will get back to you. If you send at the last minute, you will NOT receive confirmation until after the deadline has passed, and there may not be time to resubmit if something goes wrong!

Contestants found to be falsifying information will be disqualified AND permanently banned from this contest.

Awards include first place in each category, Best in Show, and Coordinators choice.

Each category winner, Best in Show, and Coordinators Choice, shall receive a $25 gift certificate to Amazon.com. No runner up prizes. There will be an honorary Con Chair choice, but no prize associated. just bragging rights.
NOTE: PRIZES SHALL ONLY BE AWARDED TO UNITED STATES CITIZENS!.

If we receive too many entries to screen during our allotted time, finalists shall be determined by a panel of four judges, including myself. Judges shall be barred from voting in the final contest.
Entrees will be examined based on originality, editing skill, video/audio output quality, and entertainment value.

As stated above, if we do not receive at least 4 entries in a category, it will be merged with the next “nearest” category.
Last edited by Davis 51 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:45 am, edited 9 times in total.
Under The Box Productions is my studio.
My youtube page is: http://www.youtube.com/user/UnderTheBoxProduct

Davis 51
Org Profile

Re: Kigacon 2018 ONE WEEK DEADLINE! NEED SUBMISSIONS! Prizes and excitement galore!

Post by Davis 51 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:40 pm

This is the list of all Finalists, non-finalists, and DQs:

Finalists (at least one video in the finalists list), sorted Alphabetically
AlbinoPlant
AntaresHeart07
Azukano
Bry__
Cirera
BecauseImBored1
DistantMelodies
Gina Nelson
Glitzer and Obsidan Zero
MinetChan
Miracle Falcon
MoonieAMV
Maboroshi Studio
Mysunsai
Obsidian Zero
PaNTSU oF d00m
Princess Mareep
Pwcagal & l33tmeatwad
SeanPNG
shorisquared
Speedy180
SuperEltanin
Unlucky Artist

Non-Finalists (at least one video in the finalists list), sorted Alphabetically
AMV-X
AngelMaeVictory
AntaresHeart07
BxP102
CamiChan19
Cirera
DistantMelodies
Epitome
Gina Nelson
Glitzer
Hereticked
Jeremy Quan
Maboroshi Studio
Magicflier
Matius Darwin
MoonieAMV
Mysunsai
Nuke
OscarAMV
PaNTSU oF d00m
Princess Mareep
ProjectTwinsAMV
Seabrook Ng
SeanPNG
shorisquared
Starcoffin
Zandersen
ZarathaZarati

DQ's (Does not include videos in which we were able to reach out to the editor in time to get a replacement video. Note that we do not do this in every instance, only when we are able to catch the problem prior to our prejudging).

LordZakku - Video DQ'd for Fansubs/Dub Audio
DistantMelodies - Video DQ'd for excessive f-bombs.
shorisquared - Video DQ'd for excessive blood/gore.

Videos that are Non-Finalists/DQ's are still eligible for Coordinator's Choice.
Last edited by Davis 51 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Davis 51
Org Profile

Re: Kigacon 2018 ONE WEEK DEADLINE! NEED SUBMISSIONS! Prizes and excitement galore!

Post by Davis 51 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:16 pm

Placeholder for Finalists/Winners

OK, we have a huge announcement for you guys! Basically, a handful of you lunatics submitted videos which not only don't fit too well in their defined categories, but are so out there that it actually hurt their chances at qualifying for finalists (i.e. most of them did not). The three thing these videos had in common was an undefinable strangeness, an impossibility to define by their category, and extremely low chances of winning anything as is. This has never happened before, and left all judges scratching their heads at the...blatant weirdness of what they had just seen, despite the obvious and clear talent behind them. Our solution was to create a new category to give these videos a fighting chance.

We have a new category for this year: Surreal/Trippy

Before anyone freaks out about this decision, please understand that it was a unanimous choice among our pre-judges, and nobody was excluded from the contest because of this. The category will be treated like every other category, same qualification rules, same voting, same shot at best in show, same prize (part of the delay in posting was to ensure that there was adequate funding for the prizes available). In fact, most videos in this category actually have an opportunity they wouldn't have had before, so...

Finalists/Winners will be posted right here the day after the contest itself. I suspect at least some of the finalists in the Surreal/Trippy category know who they are.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FINALISTS (Winners are bold, runner ups are italicized (no prize, just good feels). A handful of categories have two runner ups. This was due to a tie. Though not announced at our official awards ceremonies, a recount of ballots confirmed the tie. No category/best in show winners were deemed to have changed as a result of the recount, just two runner ups.

Trailers

Pride + Prejudice + Butlers: BecauseImBored1
Top Gun 'Macross Plus Edition': Maboroshi Studio
Goku Ragnarok: Unlucky Artist
Midway: Mysunsai
Outlawz of the Galaxy Vol. 2: Speedy180
Samurai Jack: Fury Road: shorisquared

Action

From the Flame: SuperEltanin
Psiodyne: AlbinoPlant
Leave it to Fate: Speedy180
No Limits: Unlucky Artist
Sensational Beatdown: MoonieAMV

Drama

Contagious: DistantMelodies
Fullmetal Hamilton: An Amestrian Musical: Miracle Falcon
Baba Yetu: Glitzer and Obsidan Zero
Bottom of the River: MinetChan
Baseless: BecauseImBored1

Romance/Sentimental

Familiar: shorisquared (WINNER BEST IN SHOW)
A New Heart: SeanPNG
Pat Pat Paradise: MoonieAMV
Twin Blades: Obsidian Zero (WINNER COORDINATORS CHOICE)
A Reason to Change: Azukano
Hey Nonny Nonny: Unlucky Artist

Upbeat

Toy Pokemon: SeanPNG
You're The Best: Maboroshi Studio
Anime MasterChef: AntaresHeart07
Pillow Warfare: MoonieAMV
SPF (Stereotypical Party Filler): Gina Nelson
Another Day of Sun: MinetChan

Comedy

Spiralwalker: shorisquared
Mean Hanekawa: Cirera
Thot Prokoking Triple Bagel Backspins: Unlucky Artist
Notice Me!!: Princess Mareep
Out of the Closet: PaNTSU oF d00m

Surreal/Trippy

Hava Nagila: Maboroshi Studio
Nichistep: Azukano
Counter: Unlucky Artist
Kyuzoo: Pwcagal & l33tmeatwad
Take Pills: Bry_

NOTE That we do not have a con chairs choice yet. That is because our con chair has not had a chance to see the contest due to the inherent business this year of running the convention. There is no prize associated with it, just bragging rights, but we will post the result as soon as our con chair has a chance to actually take a breather and enjoy some AMV's.
Last edited by Davis 51 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Davis 51
Org Profile

Post by Davis 51 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:21 am

Bump for 24 Hour Warning :uhoh:

Cirera
Org Profile

Post by Cirera » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:51 am

I sent two yesterday, haven’t gotten a reply and the post has not been updated.

Davis 51
Org Profile

Post by Davis 51 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:52 am

Wait for it...

AAAND GO.

Davis 51
Org Profile

Post by Davis 51 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:08 am

Cirera wrote:I sent two yesterday, haven’t gotten a reply and the post has not been updated.
I have received yours.

Cirera
Org Profile

Post by Cirera » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:50 am

Davis 51 wrote:
Cirera wrote:I sent two yesterday, haven’t gotten a reply and the post has not been updated.
I have received yours.
Awesome, thank you!

Camichan19
Org Profile

Re: Kigacon 2018 ONE DAY LEFT! NEED ENTRIES!

Post by Camichan19 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:12 pm

I just sent a few your way and extended the contest link in a few editor chats!~

Pwcagal
Org Profile

Re: Kigacon 2018 ONE DAY LEFT! NEED ENTRIES!

Post by Pwcagal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:50 pm

Submitted! :D

Return to “AMV Contests”