Toradora Ryuuji x Taiga AMV (My first AMV, feedback appreciated!)

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
nova anime
Org Profile

Toradora Ryuuji x Taiga AMV (My first AMV, feedback appreciated!)

Post by nova anime » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:57 am

This is my very first AMV. Hope you enjoy, feedback appreciated!

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: Toradora Ryuuji x Taiga AMV (My first AMV, feedback appreciated!)

Post by Kireblue » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:10 pm

Welcome to the community! This wasn't bad for a first AMV. And you definitely picked a good song and anime combination. Its always nice to see a new Toradora vid :D

Here are a few things that you should watch out for in future vids.

1) Make sure that you have resampling disabled if you're using Sony Vegas (which I'm assuming that you do since your vid has resampling in it). For every single clip in your vid, you need to make sure that you disable resampling on it, or else the scene will have "after images" or "ghosting" when you adjust the speed. Here is a video guide on how to do it for all your clips at once https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlR6DDQY2is (pretty much, just press D until your cursor turns into a selection box, then select edit - switches - Disable resampling)

2) Try not to use clips that have moving lips in them. This is called lip flap, and for the most part, having it in your vid is a bit distracting and takes the viewer out of the flow of the video.

3) I see that your video has some good beat sync at parts, but it could use some internal sync as well. If you're interested learning more about sync, here is an amazing guide that covers most of the basics viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92942

Once again, welcome to the community, and congrats on finishing your first AMV. Hope to see more vids from you in the future :D

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:12 pm

One more thing. The rules of announcing videos in the "AMV Announcement forum" require you to catalog your video first. So please do that as soon as possible :D . If you don't know how, here is the FAQ post about it http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 2#p1546652

Until then, I'm going to move your thread to the “Awaiting Catalog Entry” forum. And I can move it back once I see that you've done it.

nova anime
Org Profile

Post by nova anime » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:47 am

Thanks for the feedback! Right now my editor is Shotcut which has a lot of issues(very frustrating) but it's the best I got atm. No clue if I can disable resampling with that editor. Thinking of getting Sony Vegas, but do I just get Move Studio?

Also, just finished cataloging. Thanks again!

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:43 am

nova anime wrote:Thanks for the feedback! Right now my editor is Shotcut which has a lot of issues(very frustrating) but it's the best I got atm. No clue if I can disable resampling with that editor. Thinking of getting Sony Vegas, but do I just get Move Studio?

Also, just finished cataloging. Thanks again!
If movie studio doesn't have the disable resample feature through the switches menu, you can do it by right clicking each of your clips, selecting properties, and then selecting disable resampling on them individually.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:51 pm

I'm avoiding spoilers, so I'm only watching the first minute of this.

I'm not sure what the solution is for this but this feels like a never-ending sequence of guy's face, cut to girl's face, cut to guy's face, cut to girl's face, cut to different shot of girl's face... I mean, the first 38 seconds are pretty good but I'm not getting pulled into this like I know I need to be at this point.

The chorus kicks in, taking the song to the next level (I mean, kind of, ostensibly, that's the illusion, at least), yet the editing really doesn't really change, there's no "boost" that heightens the mood or hits me with anything.

I don't want to be the lip flap police, I can tolerate some of it but there's more here than I'd like.

This is promising and you've got a grasp of the technical basics that's hard to deny, and maybe this video goes places down the stretch that invalidate my observations, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Oh wait, I'm still watching this, he's drowning her in the pool and groping her? There's got to be a reason for this, it's not quite clear.

The ghosting that Kireblue is talking about is very evident, I don't have any solution for this and have even less of an idea what could be causing it, but it's something to keep in mind.

By the second chorus, there's a noticeable pick up in the editing pace, which is very welcome. See, I prefer this passage to the one that came before it, this feels cheerful and fun and that comes through in the editing, not just the scene selection.

This is better than my first AMV and probably many others I've made, so I hope you come back and make some more.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”