Such Otakon, Very 2017, Much DC, Wow

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
TnAdct1
Org Profile

Re: Such Otakon, Very 2017, Much DC, Wow

Post by TnAdct1 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:56 am

VicBond007 wrote: This was the only time that we could get the ballroom. The convention center only has 2 "giant" rooms. The ballroom in the hotel, and main events in the con center. The alternative option was that we would simulcast in AMV Theater and Video 2, which combined, only seats 1000 people, a far cry from the 1800 capacity ballroom, and would result in people being turned away from the AMV contest on both Friday and Saturday. Also, this simulcast time slot would run against the concert on both days, and we don't want to pull people away from the concerts. They're a once in a lifetime opportunity.
While the news about the early Contest showings is still disappointing, I do understand the reasons for it, as I definitely would agree that the AMV Contest is the type of thing that's better suited for one of the bigger rooms (as well as wanting to give those attending the concerts to check out the Contest as well).

Studio Hawk
Org Profile

Post by Studio Hawk » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:15 pm

One week to go! I'm getting hyped!

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:19 pm

VicBond007 wrote:These ribbons allow you to skip the line for the AMV Contest screenings ONLY, and also entitle you to reserved seating for all AMV Contest screenings.
Just thought to check this now, and wanted to make sure -- this means that the ribbons do not let us skip the lines for the awards show on Sunday this year?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:42 pm

Scintilla wrote:Just thought to check this now, and wanted to make sure -- this means that the ribbons do not let us skip the lines for the awards show on Sunday this year?
Correct. Since there's no room clear beforehand, we can't throw anyone out of "your" seats without looking like total JerkFaces. We don't anticipate capacity being an issue this year.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

aly_san73
Org Profile

Post by aly_san73 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:16 pm

VicBond007 wrote:
Scintilla wrote:Just thought to check this now, and wanted to make sure -- this means that the ribbons do not let us skip the lines for the awards show on Sunday this year?
Correct. Since there's no room clear beforehand, we can't throw anyone out of "your" seats without looking like total JerkFaces. We don't anticipate capacity being an issue this year.
Where should finalists go to get the ribbons this year? Gofer ops?

Studio Hawk
Org Profile

Post by Studio Hawk » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:52 pm

Panel ops

Studio Hawk
Org Profile

Post by Studio Hawk » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:01 am

I really liked the contest yesterday! There were quite a few gems in there

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:08 am

contest ballot
Spoiler :

dragontamer5788
Org Profile

Post by dragontamer5788 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:06 am

It seemed like a rather solid set of AMVs this year. Vic noted that Drama / Serious was good, and I agree with him. But I actually liked Romance a lot. Upbeat/Dance gets a shout out for being so quirky this year (in a good way).

There was an "AMV Overflow" video that I thought was especially well done: "Seven Deadly Sins" set to "Galavant" by Warlike Cygnet. I only got to see maybe the last 4 Overflow AMVs, got in a bit late to the con. So I didn't get to see many overflow videos... but I really thought that one stuck out.

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Definitely going to be hard to figure out who will end up being the winners, as there's different ways the results could go (especially given how the one category where I can see a clear winner, Upbeat, is one of three videos that I think could win Best in Show).

Return to “AMV Contests”