Hard and/or Soft Subtitles

AoKiseStars
Org Profile

Hard and/or Soft Subtitles

Post by AoKiseStars » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi guys, I'm completely new to AMV making so please excuse my poor knowledge. xD

I was wondering what is the easiest way to tell the difference between hard subs and soft subs, and how to remove soft ones (hard ones can't be deleted right?)
My amv's anime is only in sub, not dub and I downloaded some videos from a site online. Then I found out there were subtitles. I checked a couple of other sites and one said if you downloaded the video and it has subtitles, the subs are hard coded into the video. Is this true?

I've been told I can use FFMPEG to tell whether my video is hard subbed or soft, does anyone know if this is true?
Also, I'm using Sony Vegas Pro to edit, can someone teach me how to delete the subtitles using this program?

Thank you in advance!

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: Hard and/or Soft Subtitles

Post by Kireblue » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:15 pm

Typically MKV files are soft subbed, and most other types are hard subbed unless they are accompanied by a separate subtitle file (although there are occasions where MKV files can be hard subbed). If you try to play a file in a media player, and you have the option to turn the subtitle track off and on, then the file is soft subbed.

If your file is soft subbed, the subtitles will be removed when you convert them to a editable format. AMVPack has all of the tools that you need to do this (specifically AMVTool). You can download it from here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=129470

AoKiseStars
Org Profile

Post by AoKiseStars » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Hi, thank you for your quick and helpful reply!
Just a couple of questions. I tried what you said, playing them in a windows media player but after changing the video's options, (clicking the option to turn off the subtitles), all the subtitles were still visible. xD Does this mean they're definitely all hard subs?

I will download that! Thanks!! :)

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:34 am

Try opening a file in MKVToolNix (included in AMVpack as an optional container tool), if there is a subtitle tack is most likely soft subbed, if not it's hardsubbed.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

AoKiseStars
Org Profile

Post by AoKiseStars » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:34 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:Try opening a file in MKVToolNix (included in AMVpack as an optional container tool), if there is a subtitle tack is most likely soft subbed, if not it's hardsubbed.
Hi, thanks for your help! I downloaded MKVToolNix and I just wanted to check with you to make sure I'm correct. Image2
So, since there's only one visual track (other is audio), the file is hardsubbed, correct?

AoKiseStars
Org Profile

Post by AoKiseStars » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:38 pm

Sorry, here's the link: https://ibb.co/m8nBuk.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”