The best or most influential "classic" AMVs

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: The best or most influential "classic" AMVs

Post by Kionon » Sat May 27, 2017 9:08 pm

serDouglass wrote:I can't believe I'm remembered at _all_ much less being categorized as malingering amongst the 'influential,' much less within light years of anyone called 'best.'
Well, this is only my list. And it might just mean "influential" to me. The reason I consider it "influential," is because of the width of distribution it had at the time (it was quite easily obtained on WinMX, Kazaa, Limewire, etc), and because it really was an early example of the shift from "random clips of anime to music" to something which was clearly concerned with lyric sync and emotional manipulation in order to issue commentary about the characters. Primarily, Utena, although you have some excellent communication about Dios, young Anthy, and others as well.

Does it betray your own inexperience? Yes. Much as my own work of the same time period does, but clearly, your early work is better than mine. Ohtori Blues has an inconsistency in flow and a problematic amount of lip flap. But again, that is because it is clearly emblematic of the transition I mentioned above, from a much less structured concept of AMVs to our modern sense of character sketches/storytelling. Were you clearly limited by technology and source material? Again, yes. But that's hardly your fault.

Ohtori Blues is a snapshot of where AMVs were at that time, much like others on this list. And that's why I include it. Its historical value, to me at least, is undeniable.
I'd always planned to go back and redo it once the entire Utena TV series was available on DVD, and I acquired and learned the ins and outs of Premiere... well, we've seen how that worked out! If you're interested enough to check out the Rose And Release videos, it's an interesting examination in how much difference a more capable editing suite can make. Like being able to see the audio wave forms to sync up action and audio instead of winging it by ear.
It's long been on my own list of "one day, I'd love to remaster this" since there are now remastered sources for Utena. Given the high quality of the remasters, you might well consider remastering most of the shots, but addressing the "tightening" needs for a director's cut of sorts.
It's certainly been a trip down memory lane, and I'm both flattered and immensely _humbled_ to even be mentioned in the same thread, much less post as luminaries like Caldwell, Kusoyaro, VicBond007, Quu... it makes me want to say, 'oh, you're thinking of that OTHER Itinerant Press... y'know, the GOOD one.'
You're much too modest.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Tue May 30, 2017 7:07 am

Bobby Beaver "C-ko" original VCR to VCR Everything She Does is Magic was one of my favorite AMVs when I first got started.

I haven't posted this video to Youtube yet, but I remastered his amv cut for cut

https://goo.gl/cPJZvj
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:09 am

I was just going through my archive, updating filenames and what not for easier search ability, and came across this video again. Honestly this is probably the best drama video I could ever think of. So emotional.

ImageImageImageImage

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:25 am

when it comes to old stuff 2k things this thread is kinda nice. Maybe i can find something for myself later :d
i like this but idk if influential

and this seems to have gotten quite a bit of atttention here. Also uses piano keys

Still better than that MMO.

You Know Who really
Org Profile

Post by You Know Who really » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:06 am

Everything from You Know Who.

Thanks for including me. I appreciate it. :D

You Know Who really
Org Profile

Post by You Know Who really » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:08 am

Kionon wrote:Well, Vlad can talk about very early 1980s, 1990s stuff. His own early work should probably be considered. Hell, his first KOR AMV is still a perfect example of the "old school" style of editing I still mostly do, and that was 1993!

I got into AMVs around the turn of the millennium and was an active viewer in 97/98, but I didn't release anything until 2001 when I joined the Org. I have my own favorites and ideas. You Know Who's work (and he's actually shown up on the forum recently) was pretty influential. Obviously, Kevin Caldwell. Aluminum. Maboroshi. Kusoyaro. Hell, even Phade himself, with Material Girl, is something I'd consider quite classic.

Worth mentioning, these folks were contemporaries in the sense they were active when I started, but they were already winning awards during my early productive period. I didn't manage to start winning awards until 2012. So I really looked up to them. Kusoyaro was the only one I mentioned that I ever met in person (I stayed at his apartment with a few others, several years ago, but I don't remember the details now). Most of these folks are retired. Maboroshi shows up on the forums from time to time. I noticed him yesterday, I think.

You Know Who really
Org Profile

Post by You Know Who really » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:52 pm

Kionon wrote:Well, Vlad can talk about very early 1980s, 1990s stuff. His own early work should probably be considered. Hell, his first KOR AMV is still a perfect example of the "old school" style of editing I still mostly do, and that was 1993!

I got into AMVs around the turn of the millennium and was an active viewer in 97/98, but I didn't release anything until 2001 when I joined the Org. I have my own favorites and ideas. You Know Who's work (and he's actually shown up on the forum recently) was pretty influential. Obviously, Kevin Caldwell. Aluminum. Maboroshi. Kusoyaro. Hell, even Phade himself, with Material Girl, is something I'd consider quite classic.

Worth mentioning, these folks were contemporaries in the sense they were active when I started, but they were already winning awards during my early productive period. I didn't manage to start winning awards until 2012. So I really looked up to them. Kusoyaro was the only one I mentioned that I ever met in person (I stayed at his apartment with a few others, several years ago, but I don't remember the details now). Most of these folks are retired. Maboroshi shows up on the forums from time to time. I noticed him yesterday, I think.

Did I hear someone say "Classic AMV"?

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:59 am

Why hello thar.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:06 pm

You Know Who really wrote:Everything from You Know Who.

Thanks for including me. I appreciate it. :D
Plz fix the dates on your entries, I want to know when they were released.

Thanks!

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:58 pm

How does this only ever get 2 opinions? I thought this was a classic (1998!), is there a chance that I'm mixing it up with something else?

Return to “General AMV”