The best or most influential "classic" AMVs

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: The best or most influential "classic" AMVs

Post by Kireblue » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:08 pm

seasons wrote:
kireblue wrote:You can view our notes for the panel here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
"Re-evo splits up and Asylum is formed 10/1/2010"

I learned more from this spreadsheet than I did from this entire thread
lol. I pretty sure everyone in the thread thought that you were trolling with that question

But man, I actually remember the moment when I looked through my youtube bulletins and saw all the members of Re-Evo posting that the studio was splitting up. It was a pretty big bomshell at the time. Me and Vivifx (one of the former members of Re-Evo and Asulym) joked about changing the name of the panel into "History of Re-Evo". During their peak, Re-Evo had about 20-30 members at a time, and was probably the most influential AMV Studio of all time. A few years ago, they made a comeback with new members and a new youtube page. Their old youtube page can be found here

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:30 pm

I still think of Re-Evo as those new kids from YouTube. I remember when they started showing up on the Org with all of their similarly designed avatars. My view of the hobby is pretty narrow, since I have almost no presences anywhere but on the Org. I have a few videos on YouTube. I think I have one or two on Nico Nico Douga. I have no interest in joining any other AMV website.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Tigrin
Org Profile

Post by Tigrin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:57 pm

ngsilver wrote:I attempt to show off as much good old videos that I can when I can. As part of the fan art theater website I run a weekly column called Throwback Thursday where I focus on showing off old AMVs that at least I thought were good. A listing of all previous posts can be found on the website or here: http://www.fanarttheater.com/throwback-thursday/
I love the Throwback Thursday posts. :) I was showing some people "Woolongs for Nothing" recently.

One of the weird things about the Internet is how it seems to really condense time. "Generations" seem to come and go and things are quickly forgotten. I haven't heard of Re-Evo either, haha. ._.;; Like realistically 2010 wasn't that long ago and yet in Internet time it's long enough ago for videos to be considered "classic" and look dated.

I never had to edit with video tape and can't really picture it. It seems like it would have been a huge pain! I know I've always struggled trying to rip footage from DVDs... but that seems easy in comparison.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:39 pm

Tigrin wrote:I never had to edit with video tape and can't really picture it. It seems like it would have been a huge pain! I know I've always struggled trying to rip footage from DVDs... but that seems easy in comparison.
When I first started editing footage (not anime, actual RTF stuff for my broadcasting class in high school), we didn't get NLE machines with capture cards and firewire until about halfway through. We had linear editing with SVHS decks and a physical A/B roll machine with actual levers. It looked kind of similar to the transporter technology from the original Star Trek series. We could select types of transitions (but they were only cross dissolves, fades, blurs, simple stuff), and I think we could add some kind of title cards. But it was all analog. That was 1997, I think. Then we got a Play's Trinity which allowed NLE, but still had a lot of analog stuff. Finally we got two Windows NT machines with MiniDV decks via firewire and Premiere 5.1c/6/6.5. Which is what I would use on my computer for editing.

Deck to deck stuff without the A/B roll machine was done very rarely, it was really hard. I can't say I enjoyed the experience.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:34 pm

In order to bring this thread back to its original purpose, I'll go ahead and post some more classic AMVs that I feel were either really influential or hold up really well. All of them are listed in order of their premiere

This video has been the #1 rated AMV on the Org for well over 10 years

The video that started the "Hell" or blipvert style or of comedy AMVs

This video is said to be the reason why Anime Boston's dealers room completely sold out of Princess Tutu DVDs the day after the AMV Contest

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:50 pm

It'd take me a while to come up with something as long as Erik's, but there's my favorite AMV of all time:

ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:09 pm

<< MFW I already linked most of those listed videos in a previous post ^^()

But yes, good stuff.
ImageImageImageImage

Tigrin
Org Profile

Post by Tigrin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks for the recs! I'm slowly getting through all of these and it's fascinating but I gotta shut this down for a second
Wait what??? EK used to make AMVs?? My brain can't handle this information and yet it makes total sense. :uhoh:

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:13 pm

Tigrin wrote:Thanks for the recs! I'm slowly getting through all of these and it's fascinating but I gotta shut this down for a second
Wait what??? EK used to make AMVs?? My brain can't handle this information and yet it makes total sense. :uhoh:
I didn't actually know that she did anything other than AMVs :shock: . I just now found out about all her other stuff after reading your response.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:17 pm

...I knew EK from UT (our university) as well as AMVs, she worked in the same office as my best friend, Clint. Carlos (Machine) was also there at the time, he and I even worked in the same building. I'm going to bet Tigrin knows her from her comics.

Back on topic, I'm putting together a list of 1990-2001 AMVs in my collection now, I think some of them aren't even cataloged on the Org.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “General AMV”