VCA Updates, Questions & Feedback Thread

Forum rules
If there are videos that you'd like to nominate, you can use these topics post links to catalog entries (using the Video ID) in your posts. If you'd like to nominate a video that hasn't been entered into the site, you can still embed a youtube link of it, and ask the creator to catalog the video into our database. As long as the catalog entry uses its correct 2016 premiere date, and is entered before February 12, it will be allowed to compete in the 2017 VCAs.
Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: VCA Updates & Questions Thread

Post by Kireblue » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:45 am

Cenit wrote:Since there is no feedback thread yet i'd like to share some thoughts on the current state of the VCAs. TL;DR there should be less awards:
Just added feedback to the thread title :up:
Cenit wrote:-> Merge Collabs and MEPs into one category. There were like 15 in each category this year. Every collab/MEP automatically proceeds into the second round
That's not a bad idea. I feel that MEPs and collabs can be vastly different and are juded by different standards though. MEPs intentionally try to make it obvious where one person's work ends and the other begins. But collabs try to blend everyone's work together so that no 1 person completely owns any specific part. I feel that this distinction is why the 2 categories are separated and should remain that way. Collabs and MEPs are becoming less common within the community though, and so I totally understand your reasoning.
Cenit wrote:-> Remove best short video. Short Videos are usually the laziest AMVs unless done by blabbler
I personally don't share that opinion, and AMVs are actually trending to becoming shorter and shorter (which means more and more vids are becoming eligible for this category). But if people no longer want the "short video" category, it can be removed. I'd need a bigger consensus from the userbase though. It was a category that was voted in by the users multiple times in the past, and so it just became a permanent category.
Cenit wrote:-> Remove Trailer. I haven't seen a good AMV Trailer in forever. And there are hardly any to begin with. If you must, merge Trailer it with parody.
I actually disagree 100% with this one. I personally feel that the trailer genre is currently stronger than it has ever been. There are already a ton of really good trailers uploaded and cataloged for 2017, and 2016 was a really strong year as well IMO. The idea of merging the category with Parody isn't bad, but I personally feel that Trailers and pure parodies don't really compete that well with each other. So one solution that I've been considering is renaming the "Best Trailer or Commercial" category to simply "Best Trailer", and then renaming the "Best Parody Video" category to "Best Parody or Commercial". I feel that this is a much better split and makes the distinction between the two categories more understandable.
Cenit wrote:-> Remove Best Use of Single Anime. Seriously that's basic editing. I haven't seen anything new/outstanding being done with single source Anime since Nostromos FMA Always Hardcore. Unlike use of multiple Anime, which is fine and should stay.
There is nothing about the single source category that relates to basic editing or not using effects. I personally feel that the category is meant to acknowledge videos that bring out the most of their source and have a certain charm due to their specific source combination. Not everyone see's the category the way I do, and so I totally understand wanting to remove it. So that's something I'll definitely consider with the other mods/ admins for next year's VCAs
Cenit wrote:-> Remove Rookie of the year. That award has always been misunderstood. lolligerjoj even refused his nomination because he had previous experience. You can not expect voters to truthfully check out every new editors catalog if they really just started now. Or judge them without knowing about their previous experience. Viewers will vote for whoever they know, vote randomly or don't vote at all. It's a meaningless award.
I think I can agree with everything that you said except that the award is meaningless. This year, the "Best first video" category was removed since I felt that its purpose was the same as the "Rookie of the Year" category. I do believe that there is a value in recognizing the efforts of new editors, but you've made valid points. And so, I'm not sure if I 100% agree or disagree with the idea of removing the category. But I'll add that to the list of things to discuss for next year's VCAs.
Cenit wrote:Oh and get a new website...
trying :sweat:

Although I didn't agree with a lot of your opinions, thank you for taking the time to offer feedback. And also, thanks for reminding me that there needed to be a designated thread for it :asd:

Cenit
LinkinBall Z
Org Profile

Re: VCA Updates, Questions & Feedback Thread

Post by Cenit » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:10 am

Thanks for reply. I doubt you'll find a group that can speak for most here. Either change things or don't. Maybe there will be some more replys. Most of the awards i named were added in the recent years and not part of the first VCAs.

Collabs and MEPs are group efforts and the result should be judged as such. Seperating them has always been a problem in the past and the rules change almost every year.

I simply don't like trailer AMVs. I don't like fan made trailers for movies either. To me it overlaps a lot with parody. I don't see why they shouldn't be merged but that's just me.
"Watch me. That's the real joke."

Lirinis
Org Profile

Post by Lirinis » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:55 am

How many people voted?

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:12 am

Lirinis wrote:How many people voted?
A total of 136 users voted during the final round of this year's VCAs.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:36 pm

More than I thought.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:07 am

Most Helpful was the only award I ever wanted to win. But kireblue"s point about its history and the fact that actually helpful individuals either are or become part of the staff ends up creating a conflict of interest. That said...

Kio for Most Helpful 2018. >______>
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:21 am

kireblue wrote:[
Cenit wrote:-> Remove Trailer. I haven't seen a good AMV Trailer in forever. And there are hardly any to begin with. If you must, merge Trailer it with parody.
I actually disagree 100% with this one. I personally feel that the trailer genre is currently stronger than it has ever been. There are already a ton of really good trailers uploaded and cataloged for 2017, and 2016 was a really strong year as well IMO. The idea of merging the category with Parody isn't bad, but I personally feel that Trailers and pure parodies don't really compete that well with each other. So one solution that I've been considering is renaming the "Best Trailer or Commercial" category to simply "Best Trailer", and then renaming the "Best Parody Video" category to "Best Parody or Commercial". I feel that this is a much better split and makes the distinction between the two categories more understandable.
I like the proposed changes you have made... I will admit I didn't like Trailer double dipping considering pure parodies are often not allowed at cons
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:23 am

Cenit wrote: -> Remove Trailer. I haven't seen a good AMV Trailer in forever. And there are hardly any to begin with. If you must, merge Trailer it with parody.
disagree 100%
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:04 pm

Actually, considering Trailers ARE Parodies I think it's silly having categories overlap like that. I won two awards with Deadpunch for the same reason.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:13 pm

Rider4Z wrote:Actually, considering Trailers ARE Parodies I think it's silly having categories overlap like that. I won two awards with Deadpunch for the same reason.

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/p__ ... rotagonist
Do you feel that manually filtering out pure trailers from the parody nominations would be a good idea?
Do you feel that exception should be made for videos like my AMV that also won trailer and parody in 2014?

Return to “2017 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”