AMV Documentary Project (Help Needed!)

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: AMV Documentary Project (Helped Needed!)

Post by Kionon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:49 am

Uhm... I have some photos somewhere of my set ups open to editing apps, I am going to guess, but I don't think I have any of me or other people sitting around editing. I think most of my editing photos are from US cons (like AWA) or dorm set ups when I was in university in the early 2000s.

I moved to Korea in 2007 (my Hoshi no Koe video was made in Korea), then Japan in 2008, and I have been here mostly ever since. I myself, however, have been involved in editing since Summer of 1997, which means in only a couple of months, I'll literally have been in this hobby for 20 years. Which is frightening.

And as for interviewing... It largely depends. I'm a bit camera shy.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

StarTrinity009
Org Profile

Post by StarTrinity009 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:28 am

Kionon wrote:Uhm... I have some photos somewhere of my set ups open to editing apps, I am going to guess, but I don't think I have any of me or other people sitting around editing. I think most of my editing photos are from US cons (like AWA) or dorm set ups when I was in university in the early 2000s.

I moved to Korea in 2007 (my Hoshi no Koe video was made in Korea), then Japan in 2008, and I have been here mostly ever since. I myself, however, have been involved in editing since Summer of 1997, which means in only a couple of months, I'll literally have been in this hobby for 20 years. Which is frightening.

And as for interviewing... It largely depends. I'm a bit camera shy.
Those photos would still be great to see! I was just curious and had to ask. If you can find them, email MinetChan (mbrookman323@gmail.com) or message her on the org to receive details on how to send them to us.

Camera shy... I see... Well, maybe we can work something out. Your interview would most likely be a self-interview (basically, you answering our questions while looking at a camera), or we could possibly do a Skype interview. If you had someone to help you (e.g. friend, spouse, etc.), you could have them interview you instead while looking at them, and the camera would be off slightly to the side. It all depends on what you are most comfortable with. Any of those sound good? If so, we can send you more detailed instructions with the interview questions. (Also, I'm sleeping now, so I will have to read your response tomorrow. Thank you so much for talking with us!! :D)

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:41 am

I used to work in broadcast journalism, that was how I got started. I know how to set up an interview. I meant it depends on what you would do with the material, to whom it would be shown, where, what kind of questions...
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

MinetChan
Org Profile

Post by MinetChan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:58 am

Kionon wrote:I used to work in broadcast journalism, that was how I got started. I know how to set up an interview. I meant it depends on what you would do with the material, to whom it would be shown, where, what kind of questions...
I see. Well, the documentary will be public and we hope to advertise it enough so that we have a few screenings at conventions -- so we will see how far that goes. As for the questions, they would be about your editing, AMV history, and also answering questions about the M@D community (looking into what you know). It wouldn't get really personal, and you can omit any that you feel uncomfortable with. One option that people also like is sending in a sound recording and some image of themselves (either real life or an avatar).

Again, we would appreciate your voice for the documentary, but if you don't feel comfortable no worries!

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:08 am

Well, I think the sound recording option might be possible.

Unfortunately, I have a couple of real concerns involving privacy due to a few issues I've had with cyber-abuse, doxxing, and stalking. In particular, there is a group of trolls which has been trying for years to get photos/video of me for their own purposes (right now, they just have one of me wearing a mask at a party). I've been exceedingly careful in how my various internet and social media accounts interface to limit my most public/professional accounts (which have acquired the mentioned animus) from contact with my private accounts (which do tend to have photos and such of me, but are on max privacy settings).
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

MinetChan
Org Profile

Post by MinetChan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:26 am

Kionon wrote:Well, I think the sound recording option might be possible.

Unfortunately, I have a couple of real concerns involving privacy due to a few issues I've had with cyber-abuse, doxxing, and stalking. In particular, there is a group of trolls which has been trying for years to get photos/video of me for their own purposes (right now, they just have one of me wearing a mask at a party). I've been exceedingly careful in how my various internet and social media accounts interface to limit my most public/professional accounts (which have acquired the mentioned animus) from contact with my private accounts (which do tend to have photos and such of me, but are on max privacy settings).
That's unfortunate to hear. We will definitely respect your wishes.

Instead of actual photos of yourself, please PM me a high resolution image of an avatar image. We will send you some questions shortly. Thanks again for all of your time and information.

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Re: AMV Documentary Project (Help Needed!)

Post by SailorDeath » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:25 am

Hello, I'll be at AWA and Youmacon. I have some video footage from a few events. One in particular might be good for the documentary. Particularly in regards to an editor who passed away back in 2011. At anime central that year we did a video showcase of his works. The editor's name was GodIX. If you would like that footage I can burn the video to a DVD-R and bring it with my to AWA since i heard some people working on the project were going to be there.

I'll also get together some pictures from past conventions that I worked at. I used to run the AMV department for Anime Central (from 2004 to 2011) I got a few photos from doing AV setup back then as well as audience pictures. I also have some other videos like a couple of the AMV roasts as well as some other vents at con.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:02 pm

Was going through things and I found DVDs some AMVers used to hand out at cons to distribute their stuff. I have the original DVDs and cases for:
retro video game project 2004 (which also has a lot of bonus material)
nintendo project 2003 (has the MEP + A documentary for making the MEP)
studio gaijin 2001 - 2004
studio gaijin 2001 - 2005
dennou emaki (Japanese MAD DVD distributed at one of MeriC & VegettoEX's panels at AWA, if I remember correctly)
absolutedestiny 2001 - 2003

The following were collected from cons, but are just burned discs with sharpie labels instead of nice distros like the above:
AMV Hell Perfect Collection (not sure of year.)
MeriC & VegettoEX 2000 - 2004 (has a black & white CD cover label)
"RDS" (If I remember correctly, random destination studios. Not sure of year)
Vicbond007 productions AWA X CD (AWA X was 2004). CD has a printed label on it, but no case label)
GeneStarwind21122's AMVs 2005 - 2006
NHMK 2005
NHMK 2004
thefinalact.net AWA X , 9/21/2004. 23/45.
Destination Skyline (not sure of year)

Could you see any use for these or pictures of these?

I also have a random sticker someone had printed: "Globocide"

Also... Wow. I had no idea GodIX was dead. =[
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

MinetChan
Org Profile

Post by MinetChan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:20 pm

SailorDeath wrote:Hello, I'll be at AWA and Youmacon. I have some video footage from a few events. One in particular might be good for the documentary. Particularly in regards to an editor who passed away back in 2011. At anime central that year we did a video showcase of his works. The editor's name was GodIX. If you would like that footage I can burn the video to a DVD-R and bring it with my to AWA since i heard some people working on the project were going to be there.

I'll also get together some pictures from past conventions that I worked at. I used to run the AMV department for Anime Central (from 2004 to 2011) I got a few photos from doing AV setup back then as well as audience pictures. I also have some other videos like a couple of the AMV roasts as well as some other vents at con.
Hi SailorDeath! That is awesome. Both StarTrinity009 and I will be in attendance, along with ZephyrStar. We are bringing lots of storage to gather new footage, so bring whatever you think will help this project. We are looking for video/photos of anything pertaining to AMV history, AMV events, and AMV editor shenanigans. Also, please let your editing friends know that we would be interested in footage from them as well — be it old or new, etc. Help us spread the word! :)

Go ahead and PM me, preferably on Discord, so that we can keep in contact and find each other during the weekend.

MinetChan
Org Profile

Post by MinetChan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:27 pm

SQ wrote:Was going through things and I found DVDs some AMVers used to hand out at cons to distribute their stuff. I have the original DVDs and cases for:
retro video game project 2004 (which also has a lot of bonus material)
nintendo project 2003 (has the MEP + A documentary for making the MEP)
studio gaijin 2001 - 2004
studio gaijin 2001 - 2005
dennou emaki (Japanese MAD DVD distributed at one of MeriC & VegettoEX's panels at AWA, if I remember correctly)
absolutedestiny 2001 - 2003

The following were collected from cons, but are just burned discs with sharpie labels instead of nice distros like the above:
AMV Hell Perfect Collection (not sure of year.)
MeriC & VegettoEX 2000 - 2004 (has a black & white CD cover label)
"RDS" (If I remember correctly, random destination studios. Not sure of year)
Vicbond007 productions AWA X CD (AWA X was 2004). CD has a printed label on it, but no case label)
GeneStarwind21122's AMVs 2005 - 2006
NHMK 2005
NHMK 2004
thefinalact.net AWA X , 9/21/2004. 23/45.
Destination Skyline (not sure of year)

Could you see any use for these or pictures of these?

I also have a random sticker someone had printed: "Globocide"

Also... Wow. I had no idea GodIX was dead. =[
Hey SQ! I cannot see any of the images, but we are so glad you found these dvds. We want to document this part of AMV history as well (of how dvds/vhs' were handed out at conventions for viewing AMVs). If you are interested in helping out please PM me and we can figure out a way of getting these sent to us for documentation. After we are done filming them and using their contents, we will ensure that they are sent back to you.

Again, thank you for your help. If you have more time, please let your editing friends know about our project and that we are looking for more footage and help. We are open to any assistance, be it footage (old or new) or assistance for music or graphical production.

Return to “AMV Documentary Project”