Where to find non-copyrighted songs for AMV?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
AnimeMusic247
Org Profile

Where to find non-copyrighted songs for AMV?

Post by AnimeMusic247 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:56 pm

Hello everyone,
I am just a beginner in AMV genre, and its been like 2 months for me since I am editing. So, I don't know a whole lot about how to get music for an AMV. Since, I cannot use copyrighted music for obvious reasons, and neither do I know where to look for non-copyrighted songs which will be suitable for AMV.

What I mean to say and ask you guys is :-
Please refer me some sources from where I can check out music without any worries of getting copyright restriction (at least on music)?

Please help me, I don't want to stop just because of some lame copyright restriction. And, I really want to make more videos but I am unable to find any stable source for my AMV music and because of which I am unable to work on any new project for past few days.

Please help. I need to sort out this problem.

Thanks for your time.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: Where to find non-copyrighted songs for AMV?

Post by Kireblue » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:17 am

Most people don't bother to seek out non-copyrighted music. The anime that you'll be using is already copyrighted, and so the gray area of legality is something that editors don't typically concern themselves with. But if you really want to find non-copyrighted music, a simple google search for "royalty free music" will yield places with songs that are free to use.

Tigrin
Org Profile

Post by Tigrin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:13 pm

Most of the time the copyright restrictions on YouTube are only an issue if you're trying to monetize your AMVs (which you shouldn't anyway). Usually the most that the copyright restrictions do is either put ads on your video that the copyright holders profit off of, or impose viewing restrictions on certain devices or in certain countries, which will limit your audience a bit but certainly won't stop you from sharing the video. The only case you want to avoid is when the copyright holder mutes the music, or prevents the video from showing up in search results. There's a couple ways you can check for this before you edit the video. One way is to look up the song on YouTube; if the only results that come up are the official results, live versions of the song, or cover versions, there is probably a strict copyright restriction on the song. If you're able to pull up lyric videos using the album version of the song, or even other AMVs, you're probably good to use the song. Another option is to quickly put the song into a blank video and upload it under a Private setting. Even if it's private it will still trigger YouTube's content ID system, and you'll be able to see what sort of copyright restrictions exist for the song.

Even if the song ends up muted, there are options, such as uploading a muted video or a video with royalty-free music and then including an off-site link to the video with the proper music... but it's kind of a sucky situation because most people won't follow the link. Better to just not edit with that music to begin with if you're looking to get a proper audience for your video.

And of course all this only applies to YouTube. If you're uploading a video here to a-m-v.org it really doesn't matter what music is in it, you won't run into copyright restrictions here.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:16 pm

free music archive

It's a great place to find royalty free music and open domain music. Just pay attention to the creative commons licenses on each song to be sure you're free to use the music for your planned use. This includes monitization. Not that you should monitize an AMV, but if you're looking for music to use for commercial purposes it's a great place as well.
ImageImageImageImage

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:35 pm

I haven't checked any of this but it's the first source I thought of.

https://creativecommons.org/about/progr ... forvideos/

Tigrin
Org Profile

Post by Tigrin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:15 pm

Oh, I just found this too for YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/music_policies You can look up the copyright policies for a song.

AnimeMusic247
Org Profile

Post by AnimeMusic247 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:35 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone. I will check out the links and try out all the suggestions.

Return to “General AMV”