artist block lament

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

artist block lament

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:52 pm

You ever have an idea for an AMV but struggling to figure out how to start it? Like, what clips should begin it? I have a couple of ideas I'd love to put together soon but that's my issue with both of them. Anyone else having any artist blocks?

exkcal
Org Profile

Re: artist block lament

Post by exkcal » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:14 am

I am pretty bad with this. I always ending up working from the end to the start. Maybe you should get some scenes you know that must have in your video and try to use to flow of the song to decide where they will best fit and then puzzle pieces whatever to connected key scenes together. Worth a shot?

jt_x
Org Profile

Post by jt_x » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:51 pm

^ I agree. I sometimes start with the ending too cause it seems easier to edit, that or some parts that are standing out from the song. And then I try to peace together the rest which is the boring part :uhoh:

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:06 pm

This is probably the least helpful advice ever but you just have to start. Try putting things on the timeline, if they don't work, scrap it and try something else. This takes hours sometimes. In my last video, I had a session where I made zero progress in finding good clips for about 2-3 straight hours, then when something finally clicked I was able to get a lot done with almost no issues. It's weird, but the best way is to just push through it.

Another, probably more helpful thing I can say is to edit the parts you're excited about first. Generally, at least when I get an idea, I'll hear something in a song that particularly excites me and I'll usually have at least vague, if not super-specific scene ideas in mind for that portion. Those are usually the things I'll tackle first, because I know that I want them, and can build the rest of the video around those key scenes. Plus, as with my first suggestion above, if you get rolling with those things sometimes the momentum will carry you into other parts of your video and you'll find it easier to work. And if you don't have any periods in the song that you're excited about editing, it might be worth your time to think about whether the idea is worth pursuing at all.

exkcal
Org Profile

Post by exkcal » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:48 am

holy crap my english was terrible in the above post lmfao

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:46 am

I'm in agreement with a lot of people in terms of how to deal with artist block, as my editing style usually has me working on different sections of the song and having them fit together like a puzzle (although in my most recent project, I am trying to edit it in a chronological order).

My advice on how to handle artist block:

1. As others have mentioned, start with the parts of the video that you have a good idea of what you want to incorporate (I can see how a lot of people usually start with the ending, as they have a good idea of what the final shot(s) are going to be like.

2. Do a thorough search of the source material to find footage that would fit well with the more boring parts.

3. Just because you already have a scene in place in the timeline doesn't mean it stays there. Sometimes, you may find a clip that works better with said part of the video, while other times, said clip may end up being moved to a different part of the video.

4. If your video uses various sources, consider adding additional sources to it, as it helps fill out some of the sections that you have a hard time finding a clip for.

5. Don't be afraid to take some time off from the project and focus on other projects.

Return to “General AMV”