How do you get your AMV to get more views on YT?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
xcalibrx
Org Profile

How do you get your AMV to get more views on YT?

Post by xcalibrx » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:11 pm

I enjoy what I do but it gets very frustrating sometimes that a project I've been editing and that I've spent my blood and heart on doesn't do well. My videos probably gets 20 views max. on day one and only gets around an average of a couple hundred views tops and just plateaus after that. I know I already serve a niche within the AMV niche and I know I should be thankful for the views I receive but it just gets frustrating sometimes and contemplate if making amvs is really worth it anymore. How are people who post videos of the same sub-niche so successful?

Here's my channel if it's worth anyone's time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOvx5n ... cvO2h3dE-Q

Thank you for anyone who replies.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: How do you get your AMV to get more views on YT?

Post by Kireblue » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:11 pm

Getting views on youtube is kinda a luck of the draw thing. It takes time to build a base of subscribers, and then those subscribers end up sharing your video to even more people. And there aren't really any surefire ways of getting them. Often times, a random video that you make can get super popular and cause tons of people to subscribe completely out of the blue.

One tip to make your videos easier to stumble upon is to give them good tags and titles that make them easy to search for. Submitting your videos to AMV contests at conventions can also get you a lot of views if you make finals. But be warned. making finals in AMV contests can be really hard and often require editors spend a lot of time polishing their skills before they are ready.

But regardless, getting views is mostly hit or miss. And so, it shouldn't be your main reason for editing IMO. And if it is, you're probably gonna be miserable trying to chase after them.

jt_x
Org Profile

Post by jt_x » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:56 am

I agree with kireblue if you make videos to get views you're doing it wrong :down:

I look at amvs as just another art form, a way to express my emotions and as with art
only the top percentile will get famous and popular and as an average artist you're doomed to live under a bridge starving :|

you have to be realistic man you can't expect an audience just cause you make some shitty videos, and also I think if you want views on youtube you're much better of making content that is more adjusted to youtube's algorithm. The whole amv thing is not something that works well with youtube since it takes months to create only one good video and usually a video is only like 3 to 4 minutes long. If you want to get views you just have to become a let's player, record a session with your friend on the weekend and then upload a daily video based off that for the whole month. (and remember to keep your videos at 10 to 15 minute length to get the best retention rate)

Xophilarus
Org Profile

Post by Xophilarus » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:39 pm

Basically x2 of what everyone else has said. If you want to make AMVs for views, you will get bored of the hobby really fast and stop, especially since its rare for videos to get a lot of them. There are better things to try if views are what you are aiming for. You also have only been posting videos for about two months so you can't really expect much in terms of views yet, it takes a while. If you want your videos to be enjoyed by more people, the best ways are to, first, make a variety of videos. Right now I only see one type of video on your channel, which means your videos only target a very small and specific audience in the first place. Secondly, sending videos to anime conventions in the AMV contests is another good way. Again, views should NEVER be a primary motive, but these two are ways your work can be enjoyed by more people. Just keep in mind with the contests is it may take a while before your videos actually start getting shown since being a finalists can be pretty hard sometimes. (I know Erik already mentioned this, but I felt like I would just kind of mention it again here).

I do understand how, when you work hard, you want others to see your work, and when they don't, it can be frustrating, but the reason you edit should be your enjoyment of editing first. If you are already not wanting to edit anymore because of a lack of views after only two months though, you have a tough road ahead of you. It takes years to start building up a viewer base, and even then, some people just don't get traffic on their channel. That's why it is important to edit because you like doing it because the views are just so uncertain.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:55 pm

Xophilarus wrote:If you want to make AMVs for views, you will get bored of the hobby really fast and stop...
Scintilla's user info wrote:Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003
:uhoh:

Thirding the tip about entering contests at conventions.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:57 pm

Can you upload your videos to this site? Or at least create entries for them here? That won't do much to get you the YT views you want but I'm a lot more interested in somebody's work if they've gone to the trouble to at least say something about it here, which at least shows that they have a few thoughts about it or believe in it enough to want to have some information about it on this site and not just on Youtube. At the very least, I like just seeing what sources somebody is using before deciding to watch their stuff. There's a lot of videos out there and you've got to give people some kind of "in" to what you're doing, most people won't go into a video totally blind unless they feel like there's something in it for them.

I think I understand Youtube well enough to tell you how to get the views you want but it would probably mean giving up whatever original ideas you have and require constant self-promotion.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Making amvs for views? Hahahahahahahahahaha. That's almost as silly as the idea of making amvs for awards. Hilarious.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

exkcal
Org Profile

Post by exkcal » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:31 am

I have no idea how my amvs get couple thousands of views. I think its because im just a cool dude. But I would say not to focus on views but make something that you would watch 1000 times. Be proud of it, own it.

exkcal
Org Profile

Post by exkcal » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:35 am

It helps to have a good source, lack of lip flaps, and no subtitles. Fuck I wish we could edit our own posts. Damn you .org

Millenear
Org Profile

Post by Millenear » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:10 am

There's a video up there of mine I didn't even put up, but that girl must have tagged it good, because it's gotten 90,238 views. On my page, it's gotten, meh, a little over 1k. Here's my tag over there. Maybe you can tell me what I did wrong. Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6N8oyAwKFo
Now, don't feel bad. It's not you, it's me. I Don't Like You. -.-
Oldest Video - Partners in Darkness
Most Twisted Video To Date - Perfectly Crazy

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

Return to “General AMV”