Free Crap Opinions (No Refunds)

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

jt_x
Org Profile

Free Crap Opinions (No Refunds)

Post by jt_x » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:15 am

I try to be nice but my opinions are going to be short, you can post whatever you want though I take Full videos, Betas, Alphas, WIP, hmvs, youtube, vimeo, streamable or just regular videos. You can post as many videos as you want too. I might be afk for a few weeks at a time but I try to check back as soon as I can.

Rules:
FOOL ! THERE ARE NO RULES !*

* you still have to follow the forum rules

Post Away !

This Thread is OPEN as long as it's not closed. Posting is encouraged as long as this thread is not closed. Basically as long as you can post in it you should post in it.
Last edited by jt_x on Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:47 am, edited 5 times in total.

exkcal
Org Profile

Re: Free Crap Opinions (No Refunds)

Post by exkcal » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:13 pm

https://streamable.com/kdkg

random trash i am making

Prof_Finn
Org Profile

Post by Prof_Finn » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:57 am

exkcal wrote:https://streamable.com/kdkg

random trash i am making
That's actually pretty awesome, the music goes surprisingly good with the clips

OP Here's random trash i am making https://streamable.com/d31g

jt_x
Org Profile

Post by jt_x » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:42 am

exkcal wrote:https://streamable.com/kdkg

random trash i am making
that looks pretty good. Transitions are on point and I like the mood of the video.
just some nit picking but I felt like the intro was a tad too long, like when the music
starts the video stays black for a bit too long. The part at 0:49/0:50 looks a bit odd
I know it fits to the music but the overlay kinda comes out of nowhere.
overall I'd give this an 8/10. :up:
Prof_Finn wrote: That's actually pretty awesome, the music goes surprisingly good with the clips
stop doing my job make your own thread :nono:
Prof_Finn wrote: OP Here's random trash i am making https://streamable.com/d31g
What's the 1st rule of lip syncing ? NEVER DO LIP SYNCING !
also look at the time it's $currentyear lip syncing has long
been replaced by hand syncing
for disobeying obvious rules and not going with the times I can only give you a -5/10 :up:

exkcal
Org Profile

Post by exkcal » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:47 pm

Thanks for feedback. This piece is going rely heavily on choosing the correct scenes. I am still juggling stuff around seeing what works.

jt_x
Org Profile

Post by jt_x » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:11 pm

exkcal wrote:[...]This piece is going rely heavily on choosing the correct scenes. I am still juggling stuff around seeing what works.
Yes I agree. If it helps there is this one eva video that I like which matches scenes well to the mood maybe it helps with ideas.
check it out

Prof_Finn
Org Profile

Post by Prof_Finn » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:22 pm

What exactly is hand syncing...

jt_x
Org Profile

Post by jt_x » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:11 am

Prof_Finn wrote:What exactly is hand syncing...
if you had watched the video that I linked you would've known :wink:

let me just quote godix maybe you'll understand better why lip syncing sucks ass. (emphasis mine)
godix wrote: Lip Sync
This is where the character's mouth movements match the words being said so that it appears the characters themselves are singing the song. There are several frequent mistakes done with this that I'd like to cover.

There are several ways to do lip sync. The most common way is to find a scene where the character faces the screen, freeze that scene, and use masking to change the mouth position as needed. The problem with this is that there is almost no movement at all in the scene. If it's longer than a couple words it ends up looking entirely too static, and disrupts the flow of the video. Talking scenes are also usually visually boring, and the last thing you want your video to be is visually boring. I'd recommend keeping lip sync scenes short, usually no more than a few words at a time. It may help to add motion to the scene even if it's a simple zoom or pan, although that would still be visually boring it does help keep the flow of movement. Better still is if there is internal motion in the scene, such as the character's hair blowing in the wind or something happening behind the character.

Often editors try to match the lip movements exactly. Some go so far as to look in a mirror while saying the words to get the movements exactly correct. As odd as it may seem, getting this detailed with lipsync actually ends up looking wrong. The problem is that we work with animated footage where the original animation does not get the lip movements correct. If you match lip movements you'll find you're changing the lips on almost every frame, but if you look at the anime you'll notice it only changes mouth movements every two or three frames. By matching lip movements exactly the end result will look too fast. Also, to get lip movements matching correctly you would need four or five different mouth positions. Anime typically only has three; closed, half open, and fully open mouth. Lipsync looks natural if you make sure their mouth opens when the word starts, change between half open and open positions every two or three frames, and close the mouth when the word ends.

It seems that editors often use a lip sync scene because they can't think of anything else to do at that part of the song. This mistake is most commonly seen in comedy videos, so much so there's a running joke of 'lip sync is cruise control for comedy'. It shouldn't be, nor should it be your cruise control. Lip sync is not a way to fill the timeline when you have no better ideas. It requires far more thought to not have it destroy the flow. If you can't explain why a certain part deserves lip syncing, then you're probably best off not doing it.

Lip sync usually works best in comedy, especially if the character does not match the voice well (e.g., a chibi character with a deep man's voice). Trailers almost require extensive lipsyncing. For other genres, lip syncing frequently hurts the flow so much it detracts from the video, and a voice that doesn't fit the characters often adds unintended comedy.
from this thread: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... =2&t=92942

NeoGohan
Org Profile

Post by NeoGohan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:10 am

I'll take a free crap opinion, if you're still willing. I haven't really made anything new in 12 years, so I'm certain I'm rusty as can be. Plus I haven't really been 'with it' since videos like Tainted Donuts were the big hotness, so I don't know if what I'm making already seems dated. Any opinions or comments I can get are super helpful!

Anyways, video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S64GRlTn1Hg

Thanks in advance!

jt_x
Org Profile

Post by jt_x » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:35 pm

NeoGohan wrote:I'll take a free crap opinion, if you're still willing.

This thread is open as long as it's not closed, kinda obvious actually :ying: .
NeoGohan wrote: I haven't really made anything new in 12 years, so I'm certain I'm rusty as can be. Plus I haven't really been 'with it' since videos like Tainted Donuts were the big hotness,
oh man, I'm from another time. When I watched Tainted Donuts for the first time I was already really concerned with the low resolution, it seemed well edited but I could hardly make out what was going on. I joined after 352x240 videos were popular and I could never get into these videos no matter how well edited they were. I blame it on mpeg1/2 too that is so hard to play/seek on vlc.

NeoGohan wrote: so I don't know if what I'm making already seems dated.
everything has already been done before so who cares :shrug:
I personally suggest doing videos about things that have meaning to you. That makes it easier to edit for me.

Unfortunately one opinion is not really enough to see the whole reality of a video, due to the nature of humans build in subjective biases. It's unfortunate that we currently only have one free opinions thread.

ok so here goes:
I like the idea behind the video and
kinda nitpicking but at 0:44 the scene looks a bit dark not sure if that's in the anime or not
I don't like the scene at 2:02-2:08 it seems too slow paced for that part of the song imo the song feels faster paced here.
2:34-2:39 looks kinda odd too me, I think the fade out needs to be synced slightly better
dat internal sync at 2:50 looks great.
3:09+ also looks well synced.
3:23 dat internal sync again nice.
3:33+ is done well too
my favorite part of the video is 3:44+ oh man dat syncing
the part starting with 3:55-3:56 after the face is gone I thought that the following few scenes
could have been more *epic* but maybe these felt less epic simply due to how great the syncing is before
this part.
most of the ending is done well
the beginning is also done well mostly I'm just too lazy to list it.

to sum it up;
What can I say I like the idea and it's a well done action video it has some great internal sync
some scenes could have been picked better but that can be said about most videos I guess.
I'm a big fan of this style of video, since I suck at effects so simple edited videos with some
well synced effects sprinkled in here and there are really my favorites.
Final Score: 8.378936E+12 :up:

Return to “Works in Progress”