WIP: He-Man Fabulous Secret Powers/HEYEAYEAYEA Evangelion AMV

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

Prof_Finn
Org Profile

WIP: He-Man Fabulous Secret Powers/HEYEAYEAYEA Evangelion AMV

Post by Prof_Finn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:13 pm

So I finally decided to make an AMV after thinking about it for awhile, I wanted to do something comedy/parody to start off with so I went with a classic meme. this is just a WIP right now but I'm hoping I can get it done in time for the Saboten Con AMV contest deadline (if not oh-well, I was just making it for fun and then had the idea to look and see if any local anime cons were having a contest).
This is my first AMV using an editor I've never used before I started this all, and I'd like to think it's pretty good for a first attempt but let me know what you think could be done.
https://streamable.com/d31g
Last edited by Prof_Finn on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Prof_Finn
Org Profile

Re: WIP: He-Man Fabulous Secret Powers/HEYEAYEAYEA Evangelion AMV

Post by Prof_Finn » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:28 pm

300+ view and nobody has any comments? anyhow I've put up a new draft on that link if anyone wants to check it out.

exkcal
Org Profile

Post by exkcal » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:11 pm

I looked over like 10 seconds of it because I dont have much time but try to get in some more movement other than the lips! It would make it feel 10x more dynamic.

Prof_Finn
Org Profile

Post by Prof_Finn » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:19 pm

exkcal wrote:I looked over like 10 seconds of it because I dont have much time but try to get in some more movement other than the lips! It would make it feel 10x more dynamic.
I did think about that, I'll try and get more movement in it and if you had watched to the end you could see I was getting better at having other movement. I think the main thing is I'm trying to keep it as close to the original as possible and that's mostly still shots (as seen in this comparison) https://streamable.com/wpuw

jt_x
Org Profile

Post by jt_x » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:24 am

the voice fits better to he-man imo also the original seems to have better lip sync going on, just saying. :P

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:08 am

It has potential. But I think with something like this you need to be very aware of how the different views of Shinji work together, or in this case, don't work together. The backgrounds, the facial expressions, they don't suggest a coherent whole. The audio does, of course, so you will need to see about maybe rotoscoping in a common background and maybe altering aspects of the eye expressions in order to suggest that we're looking at the same person (Shinji, check), at the same time (that's definitely not true) in the same place (also demonstrably false in your current scene choices). But make no mistake, that is a TON of work for a vey short amount of time.

Just to point out that this is exactly what Slackcircus, the editor of the original video, did. The background of the pre-song scenes all match up, suggesting one coherent scene, and then the background is completely removed for the lip-sync, replaced only later by rainbow background. However, around 3:32 even Slackcircus runs out of steam, or runs out of footage or gets lazy, and there are some rough and jarring transitions between He-Man angles. So that just goes to show how truly tedious this kind of work is. It's usually worth it, but to make an entire four minute video out of it takes time, effort, and lots and lots of patience.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

jt_x
Org Profile

Post by jt_x » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:18 am

I'd also like to point out that He-Man looks gay as fuck for the most part of that video whereas shinji just looks kinda normal (except of course in the rainbow thingy)

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:31 am

Lots of things that were "straight" in the 80s look "queer" by today's standards. And as a queer woman who often hangs out in queer spaces, I can definitively say that He-Man does indeed look "gay as fuck" by today's understanding of stereotypical gay culture. And so...

Yeah, that was the original reasons for the mash-up.

As for Shinji, I think it CAN work with the correct scene choices, because Anno intentionally made Shinji effeminate and used character design standards meant for female characters (especially in regards to Shinji's face) to play around with notions of gender identity and sexuality. Kaoru is also bluntly, canonically "gay" for Shinji (depending on how we view the intersection of Shinji's gender expression and Kaoru's affection), and while the plot line sort of prevents it, I think we were meant to consider a possibility that Shinji could have grown comfortable with a relationship with Kaoru over time. There just isn't anywhere near the time for that.

tl;dr No, like seriously, Shinji is QUEER AS FUCK.

I'll just leave this here:

ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:09 pm

I think you have pretty solid base , but unlike like in orginal i would go for more motion with pans and shit like suggested earlier . Could use some more variety in scenes too ; d.
Still better than that MMO.

Prof_Finn
Org Profile

Post by Prof_Finn » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:10 pm

Kionon wrote:It has potential. But I think with something like this you need to be very aware of how the different views of Shinji work together, or in this case, don't work together. The backgrounds, the facial expressions, they don't suggest a coherent whole. The audio does, of course, so you will need to see about maybe rotoscoping in a common background and maybe altering aspects of the eye expressions in order to suggest that we're looking at the same person (Shinji, check), at the same time (that's definitely not true) in the same place (also demonstrably false in your current scene choices). But make no mistake, that is a TON of work for a vey short amount of time.

Just to point out that this is exactly what Slackcircus, the editor of the original video, did. The background of the pre-song scenes all match up, suggesting one coherent scene, and then the background is completely removed for the lip-sync, replaced only later by rainbow background. However, around 3:32 even Slackcircus runs out of steam, or runs out of footage or gets lazy, and there are some rough and jarring transitions between He-Man angles. So that just goes to show how truly tedious this kind of work is. It's usually worth it, but to make an entire four minute video out of it takes time, effort, and lots and lots of patience.
Thank you for this you gave me a lot of good advice. I think what I'll do for now is finish this version up, then do some other AMV's to build up so experience and then come back to this later and do some of the things you suggested. I think I said before this was my first so I'm still trying to figure out what works.
What do you think about the non lip-syncing scene choice? I tried to make the scenes flow into each other by using ones that led up to Koworu and Shinji's exchange.

Return to “Works in Progress”