Obligatory, annual, elitist AWA 2016 Pro AMV review!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: Obligatory, annual, elitist AWA 2016 Pro AMV review!

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:56 am

ngsilver wrote:So I made 112 - Bad Horse

I still have some more work to do on my Pro entry before I release it publicly, but it's an idea I've wanted to do for quite some time since I first found out about it and wanted to put it into video form.

Anyone who didn't understand it and wants to know what was going on I will be more then happy to explain as I must admit the idea is a bit on the network admin nerd side of things...
Knew this was yours :sorcerer:

Me! *raises hand* I don't get it.

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:08 pm

Yo who made 110. Out yourself.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

shorisquared
AMV History Archiver
Org Profile

Post by shorisquared » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:20 pm

MycathatesyouAMV wrote:Yo who made 110. Out yourself.
Yeah!!! We other editors have a bone to pick with you :evil: (and by that, I actually mean we want to tell you that you did a good job.) :awesome:
ImageImage

Glitzer
Org Profile

Post by Glitzer » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:08 am

Thank you all for the time and effort you put into your reviews, they were both informative and highly entertaining. This was my first Pro, and everyone made it such a fun experience.

I submitted 130, and I've since learned a great deal. Especially about rascally aspect ratios.

I very much look forward to the next AWA.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
ngsilver wrote:So I made 112 - Bad Horse

I still have some more work to do on my Pro entry before I release it publicly, but it's an idea I've wanted to do for quite some time since I first found out about it and wanted to put it into video form.

Anyone who didn't understand it and wants to know what was going on I will be more then happy to explain as I must admit the idea is a bit on the network admin nerd side of things...
Knew this was yours :sorcerer:

Me! *raises hand* I don't get it.
Ok, so this is mostly a network admin/tech guy bit of humor so the idea might have gone over a few heads. First, the song Bad Horse is a catchy piece from Dr. Horrible Sing-a-Long Blog. It's a Joss Weadon internet short series that came out I think during the writers strike. Anyway, someone took the tune and decided to do something very geeky with it. Basically if you open a command prompt and run a trace route command (which is a command that tech guys use to verify that a route form point A to point B is working properly, which is a great troubleshooting tool if you're having issues connecting to other PCs on a network) and you trace to signed.bad.horse you will be treated to the whole bad horse song in web address form. Basically someone spun up a bunch of VMs that all own pieces of the lyrics and each route forward to the next one holding the next piece. So, basically if you follow the command as written (assuming your in windows, the command looks different on Mac and Linux) you can see this happen for yourself.

I found this out at AWA a few years ago and have been wanting to make a video for it for quite some time. It's something I wanted to put up as a silly upload for my YouTube Channel. So I set the text to the music. I have a bit more work still to do on in as I really want to sync up the lyrics better but when I realized my other idea for pro I couldn't finish the in time allotted (since my normal timeframe for editing vids for AWA was taken up by moving) i finally decided to put this together.
ImageImageImageImage

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:16 pm

ngsilver wrote:Ok, so this is mostly a network admin/tech guy bit of humor so the idea might have gone over a few heads. First, the song Bad Horse is a catchy piece from Dr. Horrible Sing-a-Long Blog. It's a Joss Weadon internet short series that came out I think during the writers strike. Anyway, someone took the tune and decided to do something very geeky with it. Basically if you open a command prompt and run a trace route command (which is a command that tech guys use to verify that a route form point A to point B is working properly, which is a great troubleshooting tool if you're having issues connecting to other PCs on a network) and you trace to signed.bad.horse you will be treated to the whole bad horse song in web address form. Basically someone spun up a bunch of VMs that all own pieces of the lyrics and each route forward to the next one holding the next piece. So, basically if you follow the command as written (assuming your in windows, the command looks different on Mac and Linux) you can see this happen for yourself.

I found this out at AWA a few years ago and have been wanting to make a video for it for quite some time. It's something I wanted to put up as a silly upload for my YouTube Channel. So I set the text to the music. I have a bit more work still to do on in as I really want to sync up the lyrics better but when I realized my other idea for pro I couldn't finish the in time allotted (since my normal timeframe for editing vids for AWA was taken up by moving) i finally decided to put this together.
:shock: that's amazing XD

MomToCutiePia
Org Profile

Post by MomToCutiePia » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:11 pm

Thanks for all the positive feedback and constructive criticism on my video. I will definitely use the feedback I got to get better and improve as an editor.

Lord Rae
Org Profile

Post by Lord Rae » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:55 am

Glitzer wrote:Thank you all for the time and effort you put into your reviews, they were both informative and highly entertaining. This was my first Pro, and everyone made it such a fun experience.

I submitted 130, and I've since learned a great deal. Especially about rascally aspect ratios.

I very much look forward to the next AWA.
This was one of my favorite videos theme and mood wise. I think you really nailed the song and had a solid poetic narrative. Excellent work despite the technical stumble. The flow is solid and your scene choice is excellent. Loved it.

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:49 am

Sorry about taking so long to post this, After getting back from AWA I had a lot to deal with (namely the passing of my aunt, and my mother informing me she has leukemia) But NGSilver told me a few people have been asking for this video.

Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

BecauseImBored1
Org Profile

Post by BecauseImBored1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:13 pm

YEssssssssss! I loved that one

Return to “AMV Contests”