Seeking AMVers For Article

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Bote
Org Profile

Re: Seeking AMVers For Article

Post by Bote » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:01 pm

jowinterfeld wrote:Hey, everyone! Thank you all so much for the responses. Unfortunately, the window is now closed, and the article has been finished. I have attached it here so you all can have a look at it. http://myanimelist.net/featured/1509
I really want to expand it, and I will talk to my editors about doing so via my MAL blog. I feel as though 700 words does not cover everything I wanted to write about. Please let me know what you think, but please don't rip into me too much.
Thanks again!
Man that really is too short. Not enough examples and not enough information...use this, it is a good resource for the period until 2001:

Genesis of the digital anime music video scene, 1990–2001
http://journal.transformativeworks.org/ ... ew/365/293
My Youtube channel: Bote Logos
NEW!!! One Piece AMV - "YUM YUM 2.0"
Berserk - Man of Sorrows (upscaled to 4k)
Beowulf@RDS wrote:RECTANGLES AND AFTER EFFECTS WONT SAVE YOU NOW MOTHERFUCKERS

Changelling
with double L
Org Profile

Post by Changelling » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:48 am

Lol this kinda makes the AMV community look sad as hell

Xophilarus
Org Profile

Post by Xophilarus » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:16 pm

Yeah, I would be lying if I said I was a bit on the disappointing side, especially the part about the community. I know what Shin's full answer was to the questions about it, and it was very positive for the most part so the quote from him was taken very out of context, which I don't feel is super fair since it puts the community in a bad light. In addition, the article was extremely short despite how many questions we answered...

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:47 pm

Ouch... that context with Shin's comment really does make things sound bad. I know I didn't respond to this, not sure how ingrained in the community I am anymore, but I can say that while I do see cliques from time to time when we all gather at con (which for me is only AWA) all of that seems to disappear. I can use MaboroshiStudios as an example. Guy is a complete dick online but once he's at con he's one of the coolest guys to party with (love ya Joe :P ) Moreso then any other community I know of (especially cosplay) the editing community is way more inclusive and friendly at-con despite the 'clique-ish' or 'elitest' fiscade the online community seems to display.
ImageImageImageImage

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:30 pm

I started going to AWA because of two groups (which had some overlap), one of which was AMVs. Patrick Bohnet (Quu) and I have known each other since 1998, seeing him pass was really hard on me, because he was the one who got me into AMVs. Jingoro and I share a love of KOR. I knew EK both from my time at UT (she worked on campus with my best friend), through AMVs, and through the other AWA group of which I was part. I cannot speak highly enough of MexicanJunior and Carlos (who also went to school with me, and worked in the same comm school building as I did). There definitely used to be an in-person community. That said, I still see dokool a lot, because we both live in Tokyo. :3
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Shinzui IT
The sexy Artist
Org Profile

Post by Shinzui IT » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:11 am

For this I think it would probably be best to go to cons and interview them there because you'll get more out if it if you do so. There are a lot of people who don't think it's reasonable to do it online and prefer in person.
Changelling wrote:Lol this kinda makes the AMV community look sad as hell
lol

jowinterfeld
Org Profile

Post by jowinterfeld » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi, everyone.

I am sorry that you all are displeased with the article. That was not my original intent. I just hope that next time I can do better. Thank you for your comments, and I sincerely apologize about this.
However....
I understand you all's suggestions, which I will consider should I get this kind of topic again (although judging by the responses, I'm not so sure about that). But some were simply not feasible in the time I was given. A majority of us only get so much time to write these, and often have to make due with what we have at hand. The internet was my only option, and the only con that was going to be happening near me anytime soon is next month. My editors would not wait that long for something.
I can speak about this all day, but it will not cure the dissatisfaction among all of you. All I can do is apologize. I only had 700 words' allowance, and I would agree with you that it is not enough, but I have to do what my editors tell me. I will try my best to do a rewrite in the future.
Thanks again for everyone's participation.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:14 am

For whatever it's worth, I'm looking at the other articles posted on the site and it's cool that you're at least trying to write about an interesting topic that requires research instead of just making another listicle ("15 Cutest Anime Baby Boys and Girls," "20 Angry Anime Characters," "Top 15 Anime Girls with Green Hair on MAL," etc). Much more challenging, and certainly more of a learning experience whether you're an experienced writer or a total beginner.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:09 am

AMV creators isn't correct.
AMV Editor is also 'just not right!

What you are looking for and have totally missed are the Story Tellers in All Of Us.

Some copy ideas while others draw them. The question missed is quite often; How Much Visual Distortion are we allowing others to absorb in order to get our point across.
1) if driving at night, do we really need to see the reflective covering on a sight or are we looking for just that signs contents?
2) in Radio, are we listening for everything or maybe just the music?
3) on TV, are we looking for our characters or a commercial about " the cost of " something?

AMVs and Editing are often confused about each others combinations because they are not grasping the most basic concept of videos - it's story.

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:19 pm

I feel like the topic is nice for my current homework!(aka insightful article) Thought i guess i would rather stick to specific genre ,or mby evolution of stuff. all of it is too much :P Wonder if there are any more public texts like that old Ian one on hobby? It kinda makes look like everything only happened in 'murica But guess restricting to region is ok p: .
Still better than that MMO.

Return to “General AMV”