Anime Boston 2016 - Winners Announced!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Re: Anime Boston 2016 - Winners Announced!

Post by LantisEscudo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:20 pm

NoglasticNinja wrote:I've noticed a lot of video recordings of the AMV winners; Does anyone have a full recording of the AMV contest? I'd love to see how everyone reacted to MGW V!

Couldn't participate in the contest since it was an original animation, but exhibition is fine too!
We actually specifically ask people not to record the screen at the contest showings. There isn't a similar ban on recording at the winners announcement because it's primarily a cosplay event and policing cameras there would be next to impossible.

There is a guy that has recorded the audience at the contest showings in previous years, but I don't know if he was there this year. I'll track down his channel and see if he was, though.

hamstar138
A Big Ol' Bowl Of Fruit
Org Profile

Post by hamstar138 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:43 pm

Rider4Z wrote:I'm still in disbelief.

Quoted Image converted to link:
I'm not, your trailer is amazing! ;D

ImageImage
ImageImage

Atomica12
Org Profile

Re: Anime Boston 2016 - Finalists Announced!

Post by Atomica12 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:54 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:Nice job to the Comedy winner, you're really great at copying a video that was already made but adding additional sources.

(Original)

(Winner)

Couldn't even come up with a different title though? Damn.
You know, I really don't think there's really anything to get angry about here. A premise like this was bound to come about and multiple editors are bound to take it up. The real thing to look at, especially in an editing contest, is how the video was made. Both videos were made rather differently, while still paying homage to the original animated ACSL video. (The one showing the Tumblr Logo) The "Original", as you put it, used only Higurashi and while the Winner used Higurashi in their edit, they also used a lot of other animes which showed up a lot more than the Higurashi clips.

I congratulate the comedy winner for the effort and hard work he put into the video.

King Redeem
Org Profile

Post by King Redeem » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:16 pm

DuskvsTweak wrote:I'm having a hard time finding;

Video F1
Just Do It!
Enjoyker - Just Do it! (Auto-tuned)
Various Anime
King Redeem

I want to show them to my Anime Club.
That poor anime club. WHY WOULD YOU SUBJECT THEM TO THIS

King Redeem
Org Profile

Post by King Redeem » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:54 am

Video F1
Just Do It!
Various Anime
King Redeem
Tell your anime club I say hi <3

allegoriest
Org Profile

Post by allegoriest » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:06 am

King Redeem wrote:

Video F1
Just Do It!
Various Anime
King Redeem

I hope you know if you kept putting off posting this I was gonna start sending you Shia memes every day.

(good job, good job, yeah yeah)
✿ Allegoriest AMVs ✿

shorisquared
AMV History Archiver
Org Profile

Post by shorisquared » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:42 am

Here's the YouTube playlist of the AMV Contest videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... XB1dDWioTv
ImageImage

DNubsPro
Org Profile

Post by DNubsPro » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:23 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:Nice job to the Comedy winner, you're really great at copying a video that was already made but adding additional sources.

(Original)

(Winner)

Couldn't even come up with a different title though? Damn.
I'd like to be as transparent as possible with the issue at hand since there's no denying some scenes/ideas in my version are beyond coincidental. About halfway through editing my video it had occurred to me to double-check YouTube to see if anyone had beaten me to the punch. I had checked about a year ago when the idea 1st came to me while watching a scene with a bear-trap in Psycho-Pass. To my dismay I found Ojive02's version uploaded back in September and got disheartened.

Already having asked my friend to photoshop the Shia LaBeouf faces and having dumped a significant portion of my time into editing it, I decided to dismiss it and carry on with mine thinking it was different enough. It's not until now that I realize how closely our "Higurashi When They Cry" scenes match. I should have taken note which scenes he had used instead of pretending his version didn't exist and barreling forward to meet the deadline.

The inspiration for mine stemmed from the original video in 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSO0lCO3TIg
hence why I had used the superimposed cut outs of Shia LaBeouf's head and a circle similar to the YouTube anon avatar in place of the Tumblr icon.

I've been in contact with Ojive02 to see if there's anything more on my end I can do to remedy the situation. It was not my intention to rip off his version for a quick and easy comedy entry. I have nothing but respect and admiration towards the AMV community and I had a blast at Anime Boston this year thanks to the organizers that made this happen.

The fault lies entirely with me for not checking if the idea was used and then proceeding to follow through with it anyways. By no means did I want to make a mockery of the contests we all take seriously and for that I'm truly sorry. It's not my intention here to convince you I didn't steal Ojive02's idea, but rather explain my side of the story and let you draw your own conclusions.

If you have any questions for me on the matter I'll happily answer them here. I'm well aware of how incredibly suspicious this comes across and I can't blame you guys for assuming I copied an idea.

DuskvsTweak
Org Profile

Post by DuskvsTweak » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:36 pm

King Redeem wrote:

Video F1
Just Do It!
Various Anime
King Redeem

Thank you!!!
Rules are for squares.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:26 pm

DNubsPro wrote:I'd like to be as transparent as possible with the issue at hand since there's no denying some scenes/ideas in my version are beyond coincidental. About halfway through editing my video it had occurred to me to double-check YouTube to see if anyone had beaten me to the punch. I had checked about a year ago when the idea 1st came to me while watching a scene with a bear-trap in Psycho-Pass. To my dismay I found Ojive02's version uploaded back in September and got disheartened.

Already having asked my friend to photoshop the Shia LaBeouf faces and having dumped a significant portion of my time into editing it, I decided to dismiss it and carry on with mine thinking it was different enough. It's not until now that I realize how closely our "Higurashi When They Cry" scenes match. I should have taken note which scenes he had used instead of pretending his version didn't exist and barreling forward to meet the deadline.

The inspiration for mine stemmed from the original video in 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSO0lCO3TIg
hence why I had used the superimposed cut outs of Shia LaBeouf's head and a circle similar to the YouTube anon avatar in place of the Tumblr icon.

I've been in contact with Ojive02 to see if there's anything more on my end I can do to remedy the situation. It was not my intention to rip off his version for a quick and easy comedy entry. I have nothing but respect and admiration towards the AMV community and I had a blast at Anime Boston this year thanks to the organizers that made this happen.

The fault lies entirely with me for not checking if the idea was used and then proceeding to follow through with it anyways. By no means did I want to make a mockery of the contests we all take seriously and for that I'm truly sorry. It's not my intention here to convince you I didn't steal Ojive02's idea, but rather explain my side of the story and let you draw your own conclusions.

If you have any questions for me on the matter I'll happily answer them here. I'm well aware of how incredibly suspicious this comes across and I can't blame you guys for assuming I copied an idea.
I always say if you come up with an idea you want to do then just do it. I hate when I hear about people dropping an idea because someone else released a similar theme first. I've had people ask me permission to use songs I've used for their own videos and i'm like DUDE you don't need my permission! just make it! and some have even said the were going to use a song but then changed their mind. i'm like NOOO! make your video!!

The fact you came forward to explain yourself and messaged the other creator after that blunt accusation shows real class :up: Good on ya. Besides, your videos were similar because you were both parodying the same thing.

On the other hand tho, it'd probably be a good idea to take your win and not enter anymore competitions with it in case the issue comes up again. :shrug:

Return to “AMV Contests”