Dealing with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (Advice/Rant/Help Guide)

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
MinetChan
Org Profile

Dealing with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (Advice/Rant/Help Guide)

Post by MinetChan » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:35 am

Hello everyone!

It has been awhile since I was last active on the Org. Before August, I used to go on the Org at least once a day, keeping up with tournaments, contests, friends, and everything amazing about AMV's. I spent long hours day and night editing and skyping with all of you, but all of that ended when a sudden onset of pain and pressure started developing in both of my hands.

Long story short, I developed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) from too much AMV-editing. This has devastated me over the past three months. AMV ideas keep on coming to mind, but I cannot physically edit. The pain can be so terrible at times!
Although my symptoms have gotten better, I still feel aggravation as soon as I start using a computer. This doesn't help since I am currently attending university and have to code and type papers. However, I have been taking the necessary steps towards recovery. I am visiting a chiropractor, doing some physical therapy, changing my diet and lifestyle, stretching and massaging frequently, and taking anti-inflammatory drugs only in the worst circumstances.

I guess why I'm writing this is so that other editors can be warned before it's too late. Pace yourself and take lots of breaks. Don't take your hands for granted.

I would also like to invite anyone to talk about their experiences on this topic. Feel free to offer advice, share stories, and promote awareness.

:sorcerer: Tips to help hand-health
  • Install WorkRave (a program that helps you take breaks)

Bump up your mouse sensitivity (allows dominate hand to stay in more neutral position)

Use a wrist-rest (or you can indulge on one of these bad boys)

Stretch your wrists and fingers frequently

Exercise and eat anti-inflammatory foods (ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, green tea, etc.)
Hopefully, I'll be able to make a come back in the future. I just love editing way too much!

Take care guys! :)
MinetChan

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Re: Dealing with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (Advice/Rant/Help Gu

Post by dreamawake » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:53 pm

Make friends with painkillers and muscle relaxers.

Unless you're prone to addiction...in which case, you're kinda fucked. I often wonder if I'll ever get struck with this shit, being as I play guitar alot and I type and whatnot way too often...

MinetChan
Org Profile

Post by MinetChan » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:17 am

CastielTheFallen wrote:Make friends with painkillers and muscle relaxers.

Unless you're prone to addiction...in which case, you're kinda fucked. I often wonder if I'll ever get struck with this shit, being as I play guitar alot and I type and whatnot way too often...
Painkillers really do help, but taking too much for prolonged periods of time is not good, especially if you take strong doses of ibuprofen. That's why I have been trying my hardest not to pop pills. However, if I know I have to use the computer for schoolwork I sometimes resort to tylenol.

Honestly though, I really hope you don't get this condition. I wouldn't wish this upon ANYONE. :shock:

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:43 am

I was more talking along the lines of opiate based painkillers. I.E Vicodin, Percocet, etc.

Which carries extreme risk of addiction and is bad for your liver. I imagine it would work well for the pain though, def helps my neckpain.

On top of playing guitar and typing I also unconsciously crack my knuckles a lot without even realizing im doing it...probably also not good lol

Return to “General Discussion”