Anime USA AMV contest (Winners Posted 10-5-14 Page 5)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
BecauseImBored1
Org Profile

Re: Anime USA AMV contest (finalists are now posted 10-1-14

Post by BecauseImBored1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:12 pm

She must learn the ways of the org @_@

Freki
Org Profile

Re: Anime USA AMV contest (finalists are now posted 10-1-14

Post by Freki » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:39 pm

I will be posting the Official results as soon as I have emailed all the winners. this will happen in the next 48-72 hours I have a long drive home and a platelet donation appointment tomorrow and tonight I'm trying to relax and enjoy some down time.

I will say THANK YOU to all the Editors that submitted to my contest, you made my life stressful and I loved it! you all did great jobs and you will be recognized just please give me a couple of days to notify everyone and post the results. I have always wanted to get you all results as fast as I could and this is no different.

Freki
AUSA AMV Coordinator
Jon.Webb@animeusa.org
Freki
Jon Webb
Anime USA AMV Track Director

dragontamer5788
Org Profile

Re: Anime USA AMV contest (Winners Posted 10-5-14 Page 5)

Post by dragontamer5788 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:19 pm

As I await the results... I just want to say thank you for running the contest! It seems like a difficult job.

Take your time and enjoy a drink now that its all over. :beer: :beer: :beer: |:> |:>

Freki
Org Profile

Post by Freki » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:33 pm

OFFICIAL RESULTS OF AUSA's 2014 AMV CONTEST!!!!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen and anyone else not covered there in! I am pleased to present to you the awards for the contest! I have notified the winners of this already and now can post it here. We have awards for best in category, best in show, Judges' Choice and Coordinator's Choice! So without any further to do here is the list of the awards. Runner up and Winner announced for each!

In the action category:
Runner Up:
Apollo 11 by Kireblue

Winner
The Distance by Sugoi Boyy

In the Upbeat Category:
Runner Up:
Eighties! by Unlucky Artist

Winner:
Mini Squiddy Days ~ The Legend of Mini Squidy by Quentin Harris

In the Romance Category:
Runner Up:
Hey Miss Spring by AdventLostKaichou

Winner:
Miss Independent by Obsidian Zero

In The Drama category:
Runner Up:
The Will to Win by Maboroshi Studio

Winner:
Sanctus Infernus by Rider4Z

In the Trailer/Parody Category:
Runner Up:
Fancy Feast Alpha Beta Gamma by Drewaconclusion

Winner
Attack on Badassdom by Maboroshi Studio

Judges' Choice
Runner Up:
Delusion by Maturbo

Winner:
The Will To Win by Maboroshi Studio

Coordinator's Choice
Runner Up:
Battlefield Set - Ready - Fight! by Gene Starwind 21122

Winner:
Fallen Sword by [key]Scarlet

Best in Show
Runner Up:
Apollo 11 by Kireblue

Winner
Attack on Badassdom by Maboroshi Studio

Freki
AUSA AMV Coordinator
Jon.Webb@AnimeUSA.org
Freki
Jon Webb

Freki
Org Profile

Post by Freki » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:54 pm

I want to say that I enjoyed reviewing ALL the submissions, my Judges did as well! This was my first time both judging AMV's and being the Coordinator of an AMV TRACK at the con, I not only was the head judge, but I also developed an entertainment/panel track for the convention for my OWN Room! It has been one heck of a time to get it all done! my staff helped me out when I was starting to loose focus and put me back on track as well as in the final pinch they were there to help! My pleasure comes from hearing the audience laughter and clapping for the various finalists during all screenings.

I had all my judges look at the submissions to check for violations of rules, and from the perspective of fans, attendees and editors (some of us are vetted editors!) I took their scores from 1-10 in the judging categories and averaged them for each submission then I combined all of them together and averaged those averages to see the final standings of each. No one judge could DQ any submission unless it was a rule that did not allow for interpretation, and even then that was backed up and verified by at least one other judge. for instance if a submission had won two or more contests or was over time or under time (don't see how that's possible in most cases though).

I was brought in late in the game and you ALL came through to make the contest GREAT! I even showed non finalists after the voting had been completed for that day! I have always wanted to know what other AMV's had been submitted to a convention so I wanted to show some of the ones that were not DQ'd. We did have several that did DQ, and I am contacting each editor/studio to inform them of that and why. I did still want to get the ones DQ'd air time as well so i found a place to put those and show them anyway! so I would say a good 75% or more got air time for audiences at the con.

I learned A LOT in this time and I will learn more! and I made mistakes, but I recovered from those. Next year I plan to alter the contest slightly for the better, tie up loose rules and make sure things are done better! I know I had a good amount of issues for submissions, but I worked with everyone I knew that had problems. I also want to say that my choice of award went to those that did not make the finalist list, my judges were free to choose anything they wished for their choices. I wanted to show that even those that didn't make the finalists make wonderful AMV's! Thank you all again for your support and assistance to help me see the problems and faults and making a GREAT contest this year!

Freki
AUSA AMV Coordinator
Jon.Webb@AnimeUSA.org
Last edited by Freki on Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freki
Jon Webb

ProjectBarcodeError
Org Profile

Post by ProjectBarcodeError » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:59 pm

And then i thought i had my chance by selling my soul to popular animes. Naive was I, lol.

Congrats to the winner and to coordinators as well.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:06 pm

Maboroshi sweeping cons was before and after my time. lol. :up:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Freki
Org Profile

Post by Freki » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:18 pm

PBE: I would say that making a video to the currently popular anime has advantages but it also has its disadvantages
1) there is a lot of source material out there for the currently and recently popular anime titles out there so that makes it easier to get and work with.
2) People love things current and may be more disposed to like something better because they are currently enjoying the anime.
3) There will be a lot of editors designing and editing videos with the popular anime thus you have a greater chance of large competition.
4) Audience judging and contest judges will look harder at these popular videos because of the amount and the need to differentiate each from the others.

Using less well known or much older anime titles:
1) fewer people will make videos with them and you will then have less over all competition that is judged very closely
2) you will find it hard to get material to make your videos.
3) you will have audiences look at your video and think hey I never thought this older anime worked with this song... or conversely they might not even know the anime and now they want to see it, thus they are impressed by your choices and may lend to better scores over all.

This also goes well with extremely well known songs or conversely the lesser well known song.

Freki
Freki
Jon Webb

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Freki wrote:In The Drama category:
Runner Up:
The Will to Win by Maboroshi Studio

Winner:
Sanctus Infernus by Rider4Z
I am quite surprised by this. Happy, but that must have been a blue exorcist crowd X)

ProjectBarcodeError
Org Profile

Post by ProjectBarcodeError » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:40 pm

@freki: oh it wasn't a rant at all, it's just than i never get to edit shonen powerhouses most of the time so i thought that would have been a lucky exception. only self-derision.

But i'll have to disagree with the audience being more critique about popular anime/song: most of watchers don't get in touch with that is overused or redundant in the year. All they want is a fix of what they like subjectively. Some cons may differ, but it's a recurrence i've seen in many cons, as a coordo, as a watcher, in north america and out of it. just a 2 cent ;)

Return to “AMV Contests”