Nan Desu Kan 2014 - Updated with WINNERS

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Re: Nan Desu Kan 2014 - Updated with WINNERS

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:45 pm

VivifxAMV wrote:As to pandering to the crowd it's really hard to hit that nail on the head with comedy. Everyone's senses of humor are so different. I usually just start with what I think is funny and work from there. That's why my videos tend to cover lots of different topics from crack crazy shippers, rebellious ecchi chicks, pony note crazed psychos and studious anime characters classing it up together.
I enjoyed Ship Happens, albeit more from a concept/editing standpoint than a comedy one (people had to explain the joke to me afterwards...yeah there are some facets of the fandom I'm just not familiar with -_-). The crowd reaction to that video though...holy crap, it was infectious, I was giggling and I had no idea why. I didn't vote for that video but I knew almost off the bat that it would win the Comedy category. Good job!

P.S. I'll be downloading Ship Happens now, that song is just so fricking catchy.

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:04 pm

Just for the record I really enjoyed Ship Happens. The song is great and uses a lot of great series. I don't really attempt Comedy, I feel it is one of the hardest categories to work. I usually try romantic comedy, even then it is hit or miss.

Earlier I was saying I've seen it happen with my videos that it does help using series people are familiar with.
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

Ojive
Org Profile

Post by Ojive » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:07 am

0.o

Just getting into the main competition was so far beyond my expectations I could barely believe it--actually winning something is just so incredible I can't put it into words! For the record, I wasn't kidding when I said on Sunday that this competition was responsible for me getting into anime: six years ago a friend dragged me to NDK despite me knowing a grand total of nothing about anime, and on his recommendation I lined up well in advance for the AMV contest, having no idea whatsoever what to expect. Long story short, I was blown away, and returned home with a healthy list of shows that I suddenly needed in my life. Given all this, I can't overstate how much it means to me to have something I edited be featured in the contest--I am honored beyond description! Not to mention humbled--every single video in the contest was incredible, and I aspire to some day be even half as good as the other editors!

Long story short, the contest was incredible, I'm lost for words, and congratulations to everyone involved!

[Lurks the board waiting for My Town to be uploaded somewhere]

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:52 am

Ryu could have shoryuken'ed everyone else to make space. :uhoh:

Especially that guy staring at the camera at the bottom right. Boy, he makes me mad. :twisted:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:17 am

Ojive wrote:[Lurks the board waiting for My Town to be uploaded somewhere]
It will be uploaded tonight, assuming there's no real-life stuff that gets in the way. Keep an eye on the Announcement forum!

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:37 pm

Note -

I'll update this post with links to the playlists of videos we had at other events.
AMV Showcase
Iron Chef Playlist
Ladies of AMV Editing

macchinainterna
Org Profile

Post by macchinainterna » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:23 pm

The contest, the Iron Chef, and all the AMV panels we had at the con were just fantastic! I'm glad I had to chance to see all of it live.

Major congrats to the winners this year! Excellent work on everyone's part! :up: :up: :beer: :pizza: :awesome:

BecauseImBored1
Org Profile

Post by BecauseImBored1 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:45 pm

YAY Offical worries!!! I'd be lying if i said I wasn't nervous about the unofficial XD ....prizes have been taken back from me before lol So excited for this one I'm glad people liked the video~

Ojive
Org Profile

Post by Ojive » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:58 pm

BecauseImBored1 wrote:So excited for this one I'm glad people liked the video~
To paraphrase a friend of mine after the contest regarding your video, 'the feels!' I and everyone I spoke with loved it--I'd say that it was my personal favorite video from the contest this year! Your victory was well deserved!

(I was not expecting the video that would make me go a bit misty eyed this year to be in fun/upbeat-it caught me off guard in a really excellent way!)

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:33 am

And for those of you who are interested, here are the incredible videos from the Iron Chef this year!
Mamo!'s Iron Chef
Aerialesque's Iron Chef

Return to “AMV Contests”