Nan Desu Kan 2014 - Updated with WINNERS

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
lolligerjoj
Org Profile

Re: Nan Desu Kan 2014 - Updated With Finalists + Overload

Post by lolligerjoj » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:43 am

Wow this comes unexpected. I participated with the sole intention of just giving the vid an audience and now will you look at that. A very pleasant surprise!

Congrats to the other winners (:
Last edited by lolligerjoj on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Image Image

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:45 am

Bill Ein wrote:
Comedy/Audience Best of Show - Ship Happens
lolwat? I thought "Oops, Eren Did It Again" should be the best comedy...
I will admit... while Ship Happens is well made it is not funny to me but the crowd at NDK spoke. Everyone has a different sense of humor...
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:52 am

Bill Ein wrote:
Agreed (it's what I voted for), but man...you should have heard the crowd's reaction to Ship Happens. It's not a bad video -- edited well, good idea conveyed pretty clearly -- but it's very...ah, crowd-pleasing. And, no surprise, when it's the con audience that's voting, that's the video that will win.

Bill Ein
Org Profile

Post by Bill Ein » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:38 pm

So how about my "coubX" in overload? Someone like this AMV Hell Coub?

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:51 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:
Bill Ein wrote:
Agreed (it's what I voted for), but man...you should have heard the crowd's reaction to Ship Happens. It's not a bad video -- edited well, good idea conveyed pretty clearly -- but it's very...ah, crowd-pleasing. And, no surprise, when it's the con audience that's voting, that's the video that will win.
Prime example of this...Zenkaikon 2014.
The winner of best comedy was "Iwatobi Weather Service" but there were one or two others that were funnier.
I've nothing against fanservice for the ladies (you shoulda heard the fangirls react during Masquerade halftime when this played) and you can't control how the viewers will vote.
Sure, there were amusing moments in this but I wasn't sure that it should have been placed in the upbeat category instead (where it would have had to compete with this).
C'est la vie...
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

blaksun
The one and lonely ... only
Org Profile

Post by blaksun » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Congrats to the one's that made Overload, to the other Finalists and the winners |:>
Text endless companions so foe raid ones and even less that makes sense :)

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Congrats to the winners! I'm looking forward to having a chance next year and submitting to this contest.

@ Deuce
Still though those are the breaks. I can say that the videos I have that won awards used popular series and the audience liked them. The videos that did not well, that's a different story. So if you work with what's popular and you enjoy it, then you are probably going to do well with the audience but not amongst your peers if it is not a top notch edited video. It is really hard to please both groups. I still try, eventhough it is nearly impossible.
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Re: Nan Desu Kan 2014 - Updated with WINNERS

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:36 pm

I've updated the main post with links to the winners/finalists. The links go both to the Org and AMVNews. If download isn't available but Youtube is, I've labeled it as such :P Videos that aren't currently available are obviously unable to be downloaded.

And for those that couldn't be here, have some shots of the audience.

It took just about an hour an a half before we could get started because people just kept non-stop filling into the room. People even stood in the back through the entire 2 hour contest.
Those pictures were taken before announcements went out that "I've just heard we have another 50 people waiting to get in to the room." followed by "Wait, we have another 100 people waiting."

On the subject of the comedy winner, while Ship Happens wasn't my personal favorite I give Vivifx a BIG :up:
You seem to be forgetting that videos watched with an audience are very different than when watching alone. Crowd mentality is able to settle in and things that normally make you think "Oh, that's cute." become laugh out loud funny when you're in a room filled with hundreds of other people. ALL of the Comedy entries (well, all the entries) got phenomenal responses by the audience and many people struggled to pick which one was their favorite. In my book (and I'm not just saying this to be all pep-talking bullcrap) the videos were all winners. It was freakin' awesome and even after receiving all the entries, attending the judging session, making the ballots and finally watching them in the contest, I personally still had a really hard time picking winners.

Overload is always pretty filled up so I didn't get to stay through the entire thing but I was able to peek in a couple different times and the audience seemed to be loving what they were seeing so Hell Yes~ to those guys too.

An incredibly good year and thank you all again for your support. scottanime takes care of shipping out the prizes so you're free to harrass him :D

VivifxAMV
Crazed Creativity
Org Profile

Post by VivifxAMV » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:50 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:
I give Vivifx a BIG :up:
I'm so honored - I know a thumbs up for Yue is a big deal! :D Tbh that comedy category looked like one of the hardest I have ever been in so I was so thrilled to win! All the videos are super fantastic and Good Clean Fun is one of my personal favorites.

As to pandering to the crowd it's really hard to hit that nail on the head with comedy. Everyone's senses of humor are so different. I usually just start with what I think is funny and work from there. That's why my videos tend to cover lots of different topics from crack crazy shippers, rebellious ecchi chicks, pony note crazed psychos and studious anime characters classing it up together.
ImageImage

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:35 pm

That was seriously the best contest I have seen in a very, very long time.
Yue was like "dude, you don't even know" when we were talking last week before the con, and she was spot on.
For the first time in a long time, I could not wait to get home and download and re-watch videos.
Great job everybody, some really fantastic videos all around.
:up: :up: :up:

Return to “AMV Contests”