Sailor Moon

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Re: Sailor Moon

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:22 pm

Anyone seen Crystal yet?

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:03 pm

So, they don't seem to have fucked up Crystal, which is nice. I'm not a fan of the series at all (I've seen the new remaster of the fast 6 or so episodes, which I liked but didn't love) but I would still have been annoyed if they messed it up big time, just because it's such a big deal. The first episode was plenty enjoyable, when the Nico Nico stream wasn't completely crapping out on me and showing me something that can best be described as an artifacting orgy. The only real problems with it were that the background art (pastel stuff that looked like a cheaper, digital version of the backgrounds from the original) didn't compliment the character designs (which I think look fine, I don't know what everyone's complaining about) very well at all, and that the CG transformation sequence looked kind of shitty. But hey, they haven't massively fucked it up yet. I think that's enough to be happy about.
"Never fall for a tennis player. Love means nothing to them"

requiett
Org Profile

Post by requiett » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:04 am

First ep was really underwhelming IMO. The animation was pretty soulless. Not really expecting much out of this remake.

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

no remake for a series as high profile as sailor moon is going to live up to expectations, they are also keeping somewhat more faithful to the original manga which came out in 1991, when this genre didn't exist yet. I'd say this is more of a love letter to the sailor moon fans out there rather than trying to break any new ground in any other areas.

Tsu!
Org Profile

Post by Tsu! » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:50 pm

I think the enjoyment level will improve as it goes on. Ep/Act 1 never deviates very much from the original manga, so it's pretty boring to watch the 4th incarnation of that act. I think it'll get way better as it goes on. I do think the animation was a little iffy, but I'm gonna give it a chance.
Fanime 2014-2015, 2018-2019 AMV Contest - Department Head
Fanime 2016-2017 AMV Contest - Lurking Department Second

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:59 pm

It's definitely not anything compared to the original, which I think still holds up to today's standards as far as quality goes.

I do look forward to less filler and a story more based around the manga. I also hope the relationship between Michiru and Haruka is less G rated.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:40 pm

. even the trailers look too Manga for me.
. . there were two episodes in the 1st series were Manga animations were tryed. it was "the straw that separated the Animation Studies into Sailor Moon & Wedding Peach fans! The Wedding Peach fans didn't mind the Manga-look but, the Sailor Moon Fans hated that style of Animation!
. I'm a little confused as to WHY they are trying to bring back the one thing that Sailor Moon fans Hated - all those years ago ... as if, we have Changed Our Minds! ( it's insulting! )

Tsu!
Org Profile

Post by Tsu! » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:33 am

post-it wrote:. even the trailers look too Manga for me.
. . there were two episodes in the 1st series were Manga animations were tryed. it was "the straw that separated the Animation Studies into Sailor Moon & Wedding Peach fans! The Wedding Peach fans didn't mind the Manga-look but, the Sailor Moon Fans hated that style of Animation!
. I'm a little confused as to WHY they are trying to bring back the one thing that Sailor Moon fans Hated - all those years ago ... as if, we have Changed Our Minds! ( it's insulting! )
What 2 episodes are you referring to?
Fanime 2014-2015, 2018-2019 AMV Contest - Department Head
Fanime 2016-2017 AMV Contest - Lurking Department Second

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:09 pm

The very first one; still not available on DVD yet & the first (released) 001.
. The very first episode was remade with the intro of Sailor V and Artemis.
. The 001 episode, look at the difference between Molly and Serina - can't miss it. Also note how Posessed Melvin and the other Zombies change while Dancing!

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:23 pm

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”