Avisynth Use on Intel Macs

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Avisynth Use on Intel Macs

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:09 pm

Anicsi wrote:1. I have MPEGstreamclip and Perian. I don't assume I need the ripper, since it's only for DVDs. Which would be a better program to install if I only need it for cleaning? WINE or Crossover?
Personally, I'd say to go with Wine. There's nothing really integral about AviSynth or the commonly-used video processing tools that requires Crossover.
2. So when I have everything installed, where do I go from there? The amvs I want to post-process have various formats, the early ones are .dv, after that most are H.264 .mov or .mp4. I need to end up with an avs file to write the commands, no? Since I don't have any VOB files to open, how do I get those?
You can write scripts with TextEdit. Just save with a .avs extension. Any run-of-the-mill AviSynth tutorial will work for how to get the actual scripts written. The AV Tech guides cover this, and you can browse around on Doom9's forum in the AviSynth Usage and AviSynth Development areas to find more specific information. The only thing to be aware of is that AviSynth-under-Wine means you cannot use DirectShowSource, and AVISource is a pain to get working right with ffdshow (but it can be done). You'll want to stick to MPEG2Source (DGDecode/DGIndex), FFmpegSource2, and LSMASHSource, as these source filters have their decoders built in and don't need some underlying media framework like Video for Windows or DirectShow to rely on.

Obviously, lots of things have changed over the past 5 years since this thread started, both in regard to OS X, and AviSynth. I think I may make a post on how to properly deal with this stuff from a current perspective, but it might take a couple days.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Anicsi
Org Profile

Post by Anicsi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:12 pm

Thanks for the fast reply! So i'm apparently not the fastest to catch on with these things, as it took me hours to simply install WINE and the amvapp xD Now i've looked for a couple of tutorials, but they sound all Chinese to me. I guess what's confusing to me is that there are so many different applications working together and different scripts and codes and -

Well, basically what I'm unclear about is:
1. I can write scrips with a text editor, correct? If i know more or less what the commands do to my video. And then I apply the script to the video (converted to lossless .avi) via VirtualDub?.
Because I wanted to followhttp://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... synth.html and it's using the program AvsPmod for it. So basically i can decide if i want to use a texteditor, or this program, but if I use a text editor, i cannot preview what the commands do with my video?

2. In this http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... -qual.html it says "Load up your avs file in AvsPmod (or your text editor of choice) and let's get going!"
But I thought we were creating the AVS file in AvsPmod or the text editor? Or does that mean I have to save my 'video' first as .avs file somehow and then open it and write further command lines?

I'm sorry, these must look like stupid questions to you, but I've been really trying to read through this massive information and it's only getting a bit clearer to me. Maybe i should just wait for the tutorial you wanted to do. ahhhh, i don't know anymore xD
Thank you for your time!

Anicsi
Org Profile

Post by Anicsi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:14 pm

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE DELETE THE PREVIOUS POST? I can't edit it, and I accidentally messed up the links *facepalms*

Thanks for the fast reply! So i'm apparently not the fastest to catch on with these things, as it took me hours to simply install WINE and the amvapp xD Now i've looked for a couple of tutorials, but they sound all Chinese to me. I guess what's confusing to me is that there are so many different applications working together and different scripts and codes and -

1. I can write scrips with a text editor, correct? If i know more or less what the commands do to my video. And then I apply the script to the video (converted to lossless .avi) via VirtualDub?.
Because I wanted to followthis tutorial and it's using the program AvsPmod for it. So basically i can decide if i want to use a texteditor, or this program, but if I use a text editor, i cannot preview what the commands do with my video?

2. In this post production tutorial it says "Load up your avs file in AvsPmod (or your text editor of choice) and let's get going!"
But I thought we were creating the AVS file in AvsPmod or the text editor? Or does that mean I have to save my 'video' first as .avs file somehow and then open it and write further command lines?

I'm sorry, these must look like stupid questions to you, but I've been really trying to read through this massive information and it's only getting a bit clearer to me. Maybe i should just wait for the tutorial you wanted to do. ahhhh, i don't know anymore xD
Thank you for your time!

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Anicsi wrote:as it took me hours to simply install WINE and the amvapp xD
I hope it wasn't by using MacPorts, because that's going to make everything more complicated than it has to be. When I'm able to post a step by step guide, I'll actually be treating the process as though it was done from a fresh install with the newest version of OS X (which is 10.9, aka Mavericks). And I'll be using Homebrew, because that isn't subject to nearly as much setup, and the process is simply a series of copy-and-pasting Terminal commands.
Because I wanted to followthis tutorial and it's using the program AvsPmod for it. So basically i can decide if i want to use a texteditor, or this program, but if I use a text editor, i cannot preview what the commands do with my video?
AvsPmod is a text editor, it just has some extra features tacked on (like syntax highlighting, and I think it also has a video preview window, I'm not sure since I've never used it).

The video file exists.
The script points at the video and then you can also include the extra filtering in the script to do the pre- or post-processing.
Open the script in VirtualDub and it shows what the script's output is, already filtered and ready to compress to another output (real) file, not another script. The same concept also applies to more targeted encoding programs like x264 or FFmpeg (although these are command-line applications and thus don't have preview windows, ffplay or the mplayer family of media players notwithstanding).
2. In this post production tutorial it says "Load up your avs file in AvsPmod (or your text editor of choice) and let's get going!"
As AvsPmod is a text editor itself, you'd be using it to open and edit the script. I would assume that if you give it a video file, it would automatically create a script for you with an appropriate source filter to open the video. You're still editing the script, though.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:10 am

As promised, I've gone ahead and posted an updated guide to setting up Wine and AviSynth on OSX:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 5&t=120468

It's in its own thread because the post is huge.

Anicsi
Org Profile

Post by Anicsi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:18 pm

I'm really sorry I haven't looked into this yet, man. Thanks so much for your help, and I will work through all of this once I get a bit time to do so. You're a hero!

Return to “Mac Software”