KATSUCON 20 AMV Showdown...WINNERS (page 6)!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Studio Hawk
Org Profile

Re: KATSUCON 20 AMV Showdown...FINALISTS!

Post by Studio Hawk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:22 pm

Rider4Z wrote:Thought I had left a reply earlier but I guess not, stupid phone.

Anyway, what we do for anime Vegas and anime conji is make it perfectly clear in advance to the board, entrants, and audience that we present a PG-13 show, meaning children under the age of 13 should be accompanied by an adult and little kiddies are probably not a good idea. We then repeat/stress it once again at the beginning of the show, so anything parents may find offensive after the fact would be their own responsibility. We still listen to opinions they may give us afterwards and keep in mind for the future, but we don't let ourselves get pushed around. If someone decides to take it to a higher authority, we are prepared to defend ourselves stating they were warned several times of questionable subject material.

However, this also requires VERY good judgement on the coordinators part.
This and Miracle_Falcon's comments seems like good points to me. Carding people for age at the door isn't necessary to have a PG-13 show - just be clear that it is meant for an audience over a certain age, and after that it is the attendee's responsibility to choose to watch it or not. This is the same as viewers who choose to go to the video rooms and watch Berserk, Titan, or Madoka; we're not going to cut those because they're not PG.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:03 pm

I'm keeping all these points in reserve until the post-Katsu meeting with our division lead and will bring them up then.
I totally agree on the rest of the con not being so PG, even (and sometimes especially) Masquerade, which will be among the first things pointed out.
There's a grey area in between PG and NSFW that leaves a lot of you all in limbo and that's not fair.
I'm not giving up on this by any stretch.
I just need a breather and to get this year out of the way.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Davis 51
Org Profile

Post by Davis 51 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Would it be alright if some of us wrote brief statements for you to pass along to the division leader (after the convention of course)? As content creators, I feel like we need to make our voices heard. Direct quotes would sound a lot better than "some guys on the internet said they don't like what you did".
Under The Box Productions is my studio.
My youtube page is: http://www.youtube.com/user/UnderTheBoxProduct

BecauseImBored1
Org Profile

Post by BecauseImBored1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:36 pm

This thread feels a bit out of hand. OO Cons are a place for people of all ages and some can't handle the content of vids. It sucks that my Hellsing vid can't be played but I appreciated the fact that I got to know it originally made finals and take it as a compliment. Some cons are different, just gotta find the right cons to show such a vids ;)

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:25 pm

BecauseImBored1 wrote:This thread feels a bit out of hand. OO Cons are a place for people of all ages and some can't handle the content of vids. It sucks that my Hellsing vid can't be played but I appreciated the fact that I got to know it originally made finals and take it as a compliment. Some cons are different, just gotta find the right cons to show such a vids ;)
Perhaps...but I don't wanna think they'd have an attitude of "if you can't make a video by PG standards, find another con."
The main contest is PG and there's NSFW (18+) material after midnight which leaves anything seen as PG-13 with nowhere to go.
This is something I wanna correct.
And yes...if you all wanna PM me a statement to pass along, I can do that.
Anything that will support the case for inclusion rather than exclusion...
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

Studio Hawk
Org Profile

Post by Studio Hawk » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:37 am

It got a bit buried in the video changes, but the editors brunch on Saturday is still a go. The plan is to meet Saturday at 10:30 am at the breakfast buffet place in the hotel atrium (on the left side if you're facing the atrium from the lobby). If you're interested, please let me know!

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:59 am

Hawkman324 wrote:It got a bit buried in the video changes, but the editors brunch on Saturday is still a go. The plan is to meet Saturday at 10:30 am at the breakfast buffet place in the hotel atrium (on the left side if you're facing the atrium from the lobby). If you're interested, please let me know!
I'll probably be there unless some emergency-type thing happens.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:57 pm

woot another cut made... congrats to all

specie8470
Org Profile

Re: KATSUCON 20 AMV Showdown...FINALISTS (page 2)!

Post by specie8470 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:47 pm

What do you look for in an AMV finalist? I been trying for several years now to even get in a contest to atleast vote on my video to win and never get accepted. I tried asking other people that run amv contests from other conventions but I don't even get a reply back to my emails. I even look at other amvs and guides and it's not helping get me anywhere. Do you just have to be lucky to get in or am I just wasting my time?

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Re: KATSUCON 20 AMV Showdown...FINALISTS (page 2)!

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:56 am

specie8470 wrote:What do you look for in an AMV finalist? I been trying for several years now to even get in a contest to atleast vote on my video to win and never get accepted. I tried asking other people that run amv contests from other conventions but I don't even get a reply back to my emails. I even look at other amvs and guides and it's not helping get me anywhere. Do you just have to be lucky to get in or am I just wasting my time?
Be sure to enter our contest... I will be more than happy to give you some feedback if your video doesn't make the cut. You have to keep in mind the level of competition is very high today. I sent in a video of mine that has made the finals in 4+ AMV contests and has won an award, but it didn't make the cut at Katsucon while another video of mine hasn't gotten much love at cons and made the cut for retro... so go figure.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 5&t=120008

Return to “AMV Contests”