Fixing grain and deinterlacing? (Code Geass)

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Fixing grain and deinterlacing? (Code Geass)

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:41 am

The MaskTools.dll is enough. But really, you can do this without HQDering. Smoothd2 should be enough. I was just listing good filters to deal with the issues in your source, but you didn't have to use them all in the same script.

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:18 am

Ok this took me a long time to respond to because my internet went out for 5 days.

So I redid all my footage without those unneeded commands, and adding in the Smoothd2, but I'm not sure if its really doing anything?

Here's what was in the old footage:
Dext3r wrote:Secondly, I've noticed a lot of what I think is noise?
Spoiler :
Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i.imgur.com/HkBehyr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8YVRxfY.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rFpSdD1.jpg

Here's what came out of the new footage:

Also, I'm now noticing some pixelation throughout (is this the same issue?) that I wouldn't know if it was present in the original since I hadn't gotten that far yet in looking through the footage.

This is from the show itself:

This is from one of the openings:

Thank you to both of you for your time and support.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:57 am

I would suggest filtering the sections with bad blocking by themselves (to avoid causing extra detail loss in other parts of the video) with a stronger settings for smoothd2, it's a process of trial and error.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:45 am

Does this source normally look this bad?. That looks all kinds of horrible (and it looks like it was already put through a number of rounds of bad lossy compression)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:10 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Does this source normally look this bad?. That looks all kinds of horrible (and it looks like it was already put through a number of rounds of bad lossy compression)
I don't know, but its clearly distracting and I really need a fix for this, as its for an AMV that's due in less than a week now.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:49 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Does this source normally look this bad?. That looks all kinds of horrible (and it looks like it was already put through a number of rounds of bad lossy compression)
Yeah, it does seem like it could be a bootleg... I didn't recall the code geass' DVDs being this bad.

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:57 pm

mirkosp wrote:
Yeah, it does seem like it could be a bootleg... I didn't recall the code geass' DVDs being this bad.
It definitely isn't, unless that's what I was sold at an anime convention.

Anyways, what about using a command like dfttest?

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:14 pm

Nevermind, I just tried dfttest(sigma=35) on that footage with the girl with the green hair (IMO the worst offender out of the examples I gave) and it looks exactly the same.

What else can I try?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:51 pm

Dext3r wrote:It definitely isn't, unless that's what I was sold at an anime convention.
I know I got sold a bootleg at a con... so unless you bought it at the official licensor's booth, it could still be a bootleg. :sweat:

But anyway, instead of upscaling it like there was no tomorrow, you could just edit at a lower resolution.
Code Geass was released on Blu-ray disc, so if you really want to edit at 720p or 1080p you could get that, it'll look better to boot (and would also actually have some more detail).

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:06 pm

mirkosp wrote:
Dext3r wrote:It definitely isn't, unless that's what I was sold at an anime convention.
I know I got sold a bootleg at a con... so unless you bought it at the official licensor's booth, it could still be a bootleg. :sweat:

But anyway, instead of upscaling it like there was no tomorrow, you could just edit at a lower resolution.
Code Geass was released on Blu-ray disc, so if you really want to edit at 720p or 1080p you could get that, it'll look better to boot (and would also actually have some more detail).
Wait what? I didn't upscale anything, I just fullscreened what I'm working with in premiere and took a screenshot.

I'm working with 848x480 footage.

Return to “AviSynth Help”