Fixing grain and deinterlacing? (Code Geass)

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Fixing grain and deinterlacing? (Code Geass)

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:47 am

OT, but it might be useful in future: if you hold Alt while pressing Stamp, it'll only save the highlighted panel (so you could make a screenshot of just the information panel).

Anyway, that information panel looks indeed like a soft pulldown source. Which would mean force film should be the correct choice.
However you made the screenshot before it finished indexing the whole thing, so it would be better if you took a screenshot of after the whole source has been indexed. There might be some stray 60i bit amidst the soft pulldown footage, so that might be the cause.
If not, then I'd assume the green issue is either a mastering issue, or a MPEG-2 fuckup.

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:51 am

mirkosp wrote:OT, but it might be useful in future: if you hold Alt while pressing Stamp, it'll only save the highlighted panel (so you could make a screenshot of just the information panel).

Anyway, that information panel looks indeed like a soft pulldown source. Which would mean force film should be the correct choice.
However you made the screenshot before it finished indexing the whole thing, so it would be better if you took a screenshot of after the whole source has been indexed. There might be some stray 60i bit amidst the soft pulldown footage, so that might be the cause.
If not, then I'd assume the green issue is either a mastering issue, or a MPEG-2 fuckup.
Oh christ, now you're just making me feel bad, I'm supposed to wait for that whole preview to finish? XD

I've NEVER waited for the DGIndex preview to finish, I only ever made sure I wasn't looking at the opening or ending (for obvious reasons since the opening and ending of the show can be running at different settings, like in Code Geass the opening is interlaced).

Also how do I get the HQDering filter to work? I've found the .dll's for SmoothD2 and NLMeansCL (given they're right in those threads); but for HQDering all there is is that wiki page with the source code?

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:52 am

mirkosp wrote:OT, but it might be useful in future: if you hold Alt while pressing Stamp, it'll only save the highlighted panel (so you could make a screenshot of just the information panel).

Also, I could've cropped it to that information (I'm just print screening and putting it in paint); I just figured I'd let you see the whole picture of what I was doing.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:01 am

Also how do I get the HQDering filter to work? I've found the .dll's for SmoothD2 and NLMeansCL (given they're right in those threads); but for HQDering all there is is that wiki page with the source code?
HQDering is a script, so you make an .avs file, paste the code you can find in that page inside, save the .avs, rename the extension to .avsi and place the .avsi in the plugins folder of avisynth.

Also you don't have to wait the whole preview (if you mean File > Preview)... that's just slow. You can directly do File > Save Project. That just indexes as fast as your cpu allows, so it won't take too long. Take the screenshot after it's done.

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:05 am

mirkosp wrote:For blocking, mosquito noise, and ringing, I'd suggest a combination of smoothd2, nlmeanscl, and possibly hqdering as well.
As a reminder, stay low with the parameters, as it's better to underfilter than to overcompensate, unless you're doing a frame-based filtering, in which case you can afford to overfilter individual frames. Keep in mind these are all issuess introduced by the encoder (MPEG-2 is especially bad on this, considering how old and limited of a format it is, particularly with DVD restrictions) since it didn't have enough bitrate to properly store the frames, so clearly some frames are going to be in a worse shape than others and would need a different amount of filtering.

Well when I tried to run the first two filters, I got this error for NLMeansCL; am I supposed to do something other than just extract the individual .dll files that it lists in the thread (like do I need to extract any of the other folders that come with them?)

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:10 am

mirkosp wrote:
HQDering is a script, so you make an .avs file, paste the code you can find in that page inside, save the .avs, rename the extension to .avsi and place the .avsi in the plugins folder of avisynth.

Also you don't have to wait the whole preview (if you mean File > Preview)... that's just slow. You can directly do File > Save Project. That just indexes as fast as your cpu allows, so it won't take too long. Take the screenshot after it's done.
Ok, I setup the HQDering script now; and I'm just waiting for my comp. to index the file.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:17 am

Dext3r wrote:

Oh christ, now you're just making me feel bad, I'm supposed to wait for that whole preview to finish? XD

I've NEVER waited for the DGIndex preview to finish, I only ever made sure I wasn't looking at the opening or ending (for obvious reasons since the opening and ending of the show can be running at different settings, like in Code Geass the opening is interlace).
Just to add on (I know the conversation moved a bit past this already), you definitely should wait until you preview the entire video before selecting Force Film because you never know when there could be mixed soft and hard telecine material. If you are coming across issues, handling all the interlacing with AviSynth is the safer choice. Also, as mentioned by mirkosp, there is always the possibility that it's a mastering or encoding problem (which is quite common for a lot of anime).
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:32 am

Ok so a few things.

Here's the settings after its entirely indexed (Forced Film)

Another slight problem I've noticed is apparently cropping or something strange going on in the edges of my source (particularly on the top, and whatever all that is going on the right side as well).

Are these problems I'm causing myself with my other unnecessary filters you already pointed out?

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:34 am

Also, for that second one, make sure you pull up the image in a different window so you can see what's going on the right side.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:48 am

That is normal for most videos, they often have "blank space" on some sides that you will need to crop off. Just keep in mind, when you crop, crop evenly to avoid distorting the image when you resize it. The amount cropped from the top & bottom added together should equal that of what is cropped from the left & right added together. The parts of the video you are seeing are usually outside of the "TV safe" area so you won't see it on most TV sets as it naturally cut it off.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “AviSynth Help”