AWA confusions....

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:15 pm

The Wired Knight wrote:I think it's the "Expo" contest that agrees to show them all. Although the proffesionals will take any video that didn't make it in and move it over to the Expo. The masters I am unsure about due to simply how competitive that contest is in the first place. What days are each of teh contests on anyway? Including the Iron Chef competition.
Last year, I believe the Expo awards were Friday, and then Pro, Masters, and Iron Chef were all in a row on Saturday, from late afternoon to night. (that's why I didn't get a chance to eat before Iron Chef :P)

But Expo videos are shown in blocks spread alllll throughout the con.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:06 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:Honestly, if you're just submitting to Masters so you can get your video shown during that time slot, I think you have the wrong idea. Masters is the one contest at AWA that is a truly competitive, play-to-win contest. If you submit a video that you KNOW not to be of adequate quality to Masters just to get it shown, you're essentially wasting the judges' time. Just IMO.

Damn, now I'm having second thoughts about my new video that I submitted to Masters. $5 says it will get thrown out.

Who wants to take that bet :lol:

§_Akuma_§
Org Profile

Post by §_Akuma_§ » Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:51 pm

lol carlos, i know exactly who u r addresing that bet to and NO i will not ever bet u again, well not til AWA next year if i go :lol:
<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... r_id=13690">======§ Akuma §======
2006 § Akuma § Productions</a>

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:25 pm

Kusoyaro wrote: Honestly, if you're just submitting to Masters so you can get your video shown during that time slot, I think you have the wrong idea. Masters is the one contest at AWA that is a truly competitive, play-to-win contest. If you submit a video that you KNOW not to be of adequate quality to Masters just to get it shown, you're essentially wasting the judges' time. Just IMO.
Maybe I was taking things too literally when I decided the Pro section should be reserved for those who have never won an award, and that people who have won should enter in the Masters instead.

But I do see your point and it makes sense. Guess I'll reconsider, maybe put my vid in the Expo (I have other reasons for avoiding the Pro contest.)

Kurai Seraphim
Org Profile

Post by Kurai Seraphim » Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:45 pm

I'm not submitting it just so it'll be shown in the time slot, I think it has a good chance at competing, I just don't think it will win (I never think something I'm submitting will win, maybe its a confidence thing). The reason I asked my question was based on the fact that in the rules, it says they may be edited for time during the awards ceremony, it didn't say anything about the contest itself. I'll try to be more clear next time.

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:58 pm

I really want to enter Masters this year, but I said a long time ago that I wasn't entering Masters, and because of that, several people who are entering showed me their Masters video. And not that I necessarily think that gives me any advantage, but I just don't feel it'd be fair.

And mine would almost definitely get cut from the screening because of time constraints :oops:
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

MCWagner
Org Profile

Official Answer

Post by MCWagner » Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:15 pm

Good lord. I forget to check in here for a week and look what happens. Hokay, how about this. Rules: The Cliff's Notes

Showings: Each contest has it's own showing.

I'm not making any declarations as to when (schedules always change), but it'll be roughly like it was last year. In addition to those four showings, there is:

AMV awards, a three-hour block in the biggest room of the con. There, the award-recieving videos will be shown and the trophies/certificates/jacket etc. will be handed out.

Depending on time limits, some contests may not be shown at the AMV awards simply because we don't want to glue y'all in your seats for longer than three hours at a time.

Time Limits for entries:
Expo: 2 hours total
Pro: 15 min total for one or two videos
Dance: None, but needs to be approved by Kanchou
Masters: None.

Number of entries limit:
Expo: None, so long as they all total less than two hours
Pro: 2
Dance: 2
Masters: 1

Content: There are no restrictions on content for entry into the contests. Any video entered that conforms to all the rules (due date, etc.) will be elligible for the awards. Thus your offensive video could win best technical, or even best video. Yes, that means sex, violence, nudity, political activism, sacreligous, language, really sick humor, etc. etc. etc. HOWEVER if you send in something that would get us in a hell of a lot of trouble with the police or angry parents, the award will be announced at the AMV awards but will not be shown at the awards so we don't get sued. We'll be more lenient at the individual contest showings. If you send something that would even get us in trouble there, it will be shown in a late night block after the kiddies are in bed.

I'm not gonna split hairs on this, 'cause you could always work around them. Use your own judgemet. If you have a specific question about what is likely to get you moved to a late night block, e-mail me at gte106k@prism.gatech.edu Remember, though, AWA is the home of the "sick and twisted" awards. Been phased out a bit in the past, though.

(Machine: I'll take that bet.)

What will be shown:

Expo: At least one video from your selection, possibly more, time permitting, at our choice (although you can suggest one). Extras will be shown throughout the con.
Pro: Everything, so long as there is time. If there isn't (doubtful) some second entries may be shown later.
Dance: Everything, until Kanchou drops.
Masters: Everything.

Requirements:

Expo: None
Pro: Is OVER 18 or got a parent to sign the submission form. (Bear with us here, it's another "don't sue us" safeguard.)
Dance: Song pre-approved by Kanchou (to go with the announced theme of 80's music...see webpage for details).
Masters: Contestant must have recieved some recognition (award or honorable mention) at some con for some video. That vid and the name of the award it won has to be sent along as well.

Deadlines:
Expo: September 6, 2002
Pro: August 2, 2002
Dance: August 2, 2002
Masters: August 16, 2002

As for the judging? Go read the awa page: http://www.awa-con.com/vat/
It's a little too complicated to get into here.

MCWagner
Org Profile

Post by MCWagner » Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:26 pm

Whoop, forgot a bit.

Requirement for Masters: The entry must be NEW, not having competed or otherwise exhibited at another convention or contest.

And everyone please note that this is just the ultra-simplified version of the rules to answer the questions bouncing around. Please read the full version of the rules for a particular contest before submitting. There's some essential stuff in all the little details.

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:48 pm

Well.... I think I understand everything that there is to understand about this contest, and even if I didn't, it's too late now because I just droped my entries in the mail about 30 min. ago. I'm a little mad that I forgot to add one of my entries to the dance listing, but I'm not sure it really mattered and the stress of getting all the paper work right for the other two contests is just too much to begin with. Oh well, I hope I do well, everyone look for my videos ("Lies" and "The Wanderers Dance") and cheer for them as I will not be able to attend the con in person. Thanx for answering the questions.

Return to “AMV Contests”